PDA

View Full Version : pressre relief on filter press

Brent
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I am going to be picking up an old filter press soon and having read some posting here about pressure getting up to 60 or 70 lbs before re-charging it OR blowing the paper, it made me wonder if these could have a pressure relief valve to dump back to the tank, or a pressure switch that just shut the pump off ???

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I think about all the new presses come with a pressure relief valve. It is manual and your open the valve to help relieve pressure. Not much benefit to me, but maybe others feel different. When the pressure gets too high, time to change the papers anyways.

gmcooper
01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
The bypass valve works very well to keep the pressure down when filtering the last of a batch when you do not want to stop and change with only a gallon or so left to filter. It takes a little longer but well worth it get get the batch filtered. Just crack it enough to keep pressure at a semi comfortable level till tank is empty. Yes some will get circulated through the pump more than we like but ceratainly better than changing papers with only a little to go.

Homestead Maple
01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with GM. It's a great feature to have for the situation he has described. I've used mine that way many times and also to heat the plates in the press up by recirculating hot syrup, a small amount at first , then more through the press and by passing some so as not to put to much pressure on a cold set of papers to get everything up to the temperature of 190 degrees that I like to have the syrup at when it goes into the drum.