PDA

View Full Version : Moving to MA

helptheold
03-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Hello!

My family is moving to Massachusetts from Pennsylvania this summer and I am hoping that I can continue this fun hobby after we move but I'm concerned about where I'm allowed to tap. Here in PA, I have plenty of trees to tap right in our neighborhood on land owned by our HOA.

However, we're learning about the joys of MA wetlands and how many houses have wetlands on the property. I know you can't build on wetlands without permission but are you prohibited from tapping those trees as well? For example, one house we're seeing backs up on a small wetland conservation area so some of the maple trees might be on the property but in wetland area. Then there's a huge area next to it that's not listed as wetlands but is empty forest and I can't figure out who might own it. Of course I'm always happy to ask any future neighbors if I can tap their trees but I don't want to get myself or them in trouble by tapping trees I'm not allowed to touch.

Is there a site where I can find out more about regulations and guidelines? Right now we're focusing on homes in Middlesex and Essex counties and my Google-Fu is not bringing up anything that is useful, any help that can be sent my way would be appreciated so I can continue making syrup for my family and friends!

Buffalo Plaid
03-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Hey helptheold, 100% of the trees I tap would be considered in or on wetlands so if there are any restrictions I've just outed myself. I've never heard of any limitations as far as tapping trees, I think if you started building a sugar shack or digging post holes and someone found out they could cause you grief. You may want to find "right to farm" towns as they would probably understand that sugaring is an ag practice that should be encouraged. Let me know where you end up.

Aaron Stack
03-05-2021, 11:48 PM
Hi Help.

As a general rule you can tap anywhere unless it's the State DCR land. The DCR has a great Forestry team you can call and talk to and they will walk the property with you as long as your the owner (or with the current owner's permission if your buying land). The link below has a map at the bottom with names and contact info for each county's forester so give them a call with any questions. I've walked my uncle's land with Chris tagging sugar maples and talked with Tom about a specific property for sale and advice on what towns to look in for land with good maple tree quantities. Should be a good place to start any googling.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/service-forestry

bigschuss
03-06-2021, 06:41 AM
My family is moving to Massachusetts from Pennsylvania this summer

First, let me offer my condolences. :)

I can't stand this State...gets worse every year. But that's a whole different topic.....

If you truly want to be able to continue the hobby, I would be sure to just buy a home with land and your own maples. DCR land, Trustees of the Reservation land, State parks and state forest, town parks, etc...will all be off limits to tapping. Relying on the neighbors comes with all kinds of problems....what if they change their mind? Or sell?

Biz
03-06-2021, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the Commonwealth! Here's a handy site for finding out who the property owner is, for any parcel of land in MA. Just get permission from the landowner. Public land or conservation land can be more problematic, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave

https://massgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=47689963e7bb4007961676ad9fc56ae9

berkshires
03-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the Commonwealth! Here's a handy site for finding out who the property owner is, for any parcel of land in MA. Just get permission from the landowner. Public land or conservation land can be more problematic, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave

https://massgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=47689963e7bb4007961676ad9fc56ae9

This is great, thanks for posting!

GO

LMP Maple
03-06-2021, 04:17 PM
I would echo Bigshuss, If I could go back in time I would have bought a place with its own trees. I now tap about 50, only one is one my property. It has worked out well and the neighbors are great but as was noted you never know what will happen in the future. They can sell or worse want to get into the hobby themselves. I also switched to tubing on most of my taps this year everyone was fine with it but I have to take it all down at the end of the season something I would not do if it was my own. Just something to think about. If you can find the right place with the trees etc I'd lean in that direction. If you cant find it in Mass we are always looking for more tax payers in NH. Good luck!

helptheold
03-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Thank you so much everyone! Given that buying a house is a cutthroat business these days, I have no idea where we'll end up and getting land with our own trees is low on the need list (good schools, space for all of us, and commuter rail access is at the top). But it's good to know that tapping on wetlands (with permission if needed) is ok.

helptheold
03-06-2021, 04:38 PM
Hi Help.

As a general rule you can tap anywhere unless it's the State DCR land. The DCR has a great Forestry team you can call and talk to and they will walk the property with you as long as your the owner (or with the current owner's permission if your buying land). The link below has a map at the bottom with names and contact info for each county's forester so give them a call with any questions. I've walked my uncle's land with Chris tagging sugar maples and talked with Tom about a specific property for sale and advice on what towns to look in for land with good maple tree quantities. Should be a good place to start any googling.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/service-forestry

That's so helpful, thank you!!

helptheold
03-06-2021, 04:39 PM

Dave

I was looking for something like that, thank you!!

helptheold
03-06-2021, 04:41 PM
First, let me offer my condolences. :)

I can't stand this State...gets worse every year. But that's a whole different topic.....

If you truly want to be able to continue the hobby, I would be sure to just buy a home with land and your own maples. DCR land, Trustees of the Reservation land, State parks and state forest, town parks, etc...will all be off limits to tapping. Relying on the neighbors comes with all kinds of problems....what if they change their mind? Or sell?

LOL trust me, whatever problems there are in MA, PA is much worse! The area we live in is beautiful but has so many problems, so thrilled my husband got this job in Boston (which we know well). We're hoping to get a house with land but the housing market is cutthroat right now and we have higher priorities than trees. Bummer for me but education for our kids has to come first right now.

bigschuss
03-07-2021, 06:34 AM
LOL trust me, whatever problems there are in MA, PA is much worse! The area we live in is beautiful but has so many problems, so thrilled my husband got this job in Boston (which we know well). We're hoping to get a house with land but the housing market is cutthroat right now and we have higher priorities than trees. Bummer for me but education for our kids has to come first right now.

Understood. We live at just about the extreme opposite end of the state...quite near the border or VT and NY. Hope you can find a home that will allow you to pursue this great hobby.

The housing market is indeed insane right now, even out here in the sticks. Our small town is about 700, not a single traffic signal, and we have exactly one town hall, one church, one stop sign, and a general store....and lots of trees. All summer long every Saturday and Sunday morning our general store became crowded with out of towners and their realtors grabbing a coffee before heading out to look for homes and land. We had 3 unsolicited offers for our home...people driving up our driveway and making an offer. It was surreal.

Best of luck with your move.

saphead
03-07-2021, 08:46 AM
When I lived in the eastern part of the state the Fitchburg LIne ran through the orchard behind our house. That was 50 years ago but the memories of the Budd liners zipping by on their way to the city is still fresh in my mind. This line has recently been rebuilt back to a double track and may be one to look at as far as living close to it,the further west the better. Even out here(6 miles from the VT. border) housing is nuts! If your children's education is a top priority, then consider home schooling,you won't have to deal with the insanity going on right now in the schools and you'll never regret it. I'll attach a train line map.
All the best.
https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/route_pdfs/2021-winter/2021-01-23-cr-fitchburg-accessible-v2.pdf