PDA

View Full Version : Using an old pressure tank for sale?

ADK_XJ
03-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Any reason I wouldn't be able to use this old, bladder-less well pressure tank as a head tank for my sap setup? It's 80 gallons!

TapTapTap
03-04-2021, 05:09 PM
I like a tank that I can see inside of and clean easily.

maple flats
03-04-2021, 06:44 PM
That likely has rust inside. Besides the head tank should be cleaned daily, how would you be able to clean it?

buckeye gold
03-05-2021, 05:48 AM
Your better off finding a used plastic 55 gallon barrel. There are places that sell them pretty cheap and you can find ones used for food products. I used to get barrels from a wine bottling place and most still had some wine in them. They cleaned easy and I felt good about their safety. Most of them had a liner in them.

ADK_XJ
03-05-2021, 07:50 AM
Your better off finding a used plastic 55 gallon barrel. There are places that sell them pretty cheap and you can find ones used for food products. I used to get barrels from a wine bottling place and most still had some wine in them. They cleaned easy and I felt good about their safety. Most of them had a liner in them.

I agree but I'm having a helluva time finding them around here and to order them it costs more to ship them than the actual cost of the barrel.

I'll keep searching!

johnallin
03-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Any reason I wouldn't be able to use this old, bladder-less well pressure tank as a head tank for my sap setup? It's 80 gallons!

From the picture, it looks like it's upside down and has a drain and 3 legs. If so, turn it over, cut the top off, look inside and see what you have.
If it's rust free, you might be able to make it work until you find a better tank and it'll be easy to clean with no top...

maple flats
03-05-2021, 08:40 AM
How much would it cost you to drive to Oneida, NY? I have a few 30 gal food grade plastic tanks, you can have some at $10 ea.

ADK_XJ
03-05-2021, 02:27 PM
From the picture, it looks like it's upside down and has a drain and 3 legs. If so, turn it over, cut the top off, look inside and see what you have.
If it's rust free, you might be able to make it work until you find a better tank and it'll be easy to clean with no top...

Thanks, that was my plan exactly and, if it is rusty, I'll use it to collect rainwater in the summer to water the garden that's too far from the house taps.

ADK_XJ
03-05-2021, 02:29 PM
How much would it cost you to drive to Oneida, NY? I have a few 30 gal food grade plastic tanks, you can have some at $10 ea.

Oh really? Shoot - it's less cost and more time, I'm working like crazy right now and have two little kids so a half-day trip is at a premium.

If you still have them come Spring, maybe I can pop out and stock-up? I really appreciate the offer.

johnallin
03-05-2021, 04:49 PM
Thanks, that was my plan exactly and, if it is rusty, I'll use it to collect rainwater in the summer to water the garden that's too far from the house taps.

That's a good plan. If it's rusty maybe you can put a liner in it to get through this season.
Oh, and enjoy those two kids...in a blink you'll turn around and be looking at their kids - who are much more fun by the way - ask me how I know. <big grin>