PDA

View Full Version : frozen collection tanks

tapdrinker
03-03-2021, 05:52 AM
What in the world do you do about this? I'm completely lost. Help please.

NhShaun
03-03-2021, 06:06 AM
What kind of collection devices are you using? There are varying options for different style containers. Are these wood tanks or outside the sugarhouse?

Woodsrover
03-03-2021, 06:44 AM
My collection tanks are still 1/3 full of solid ice. I tapped early like I usually do and got burned a bit. Much of it thawed this past week with fresh sap dripping on it and I collected/pumped Monday night and got all the liquid sap into my first milk tank so I wouldn't make any fresh ice. That said, next week we're going to see 52,57 and 55 degrees...I'll be happy there's a little ice in my tanks!

The Cub Scouts are coming on Saturday. I hope my milk tank isn't frozen solid! :lol:

tapdrinker
03-03-2021, 11:54 AM
outside line tanks. Filled 35 gal. Can't move them-way too heavy. No power there either.

maineboiler
03-03-2021, 04:36 PM
I have had this problem myself. If you can’t wait for warmer weather to thaw the tanks, pour some hot water on the outside of the tanks. The good news is that the sap will last, being frozen. I occasionally use a water tank coil heater that they use on horse farms for the holding tank. Unfortunately you have to do this before it freezes

TapTapTap
03-04-2021, 06:00 AM
It sure was a pain boiling Tuesday when it was cold and windy. But glad I did so I got my tanks empty before they froze solid. It was worth the hassle of thawing lines and fixing stuff.

red/one
03-04-2021, 08:42 AM
I had my head tank freeze 2 nights ago, it broke the pvc valve. I'm trying to find if Brass or the poly banjo ones are the way to go.

NhShaun
03-04-2021, 08:47 AM
I had my head tank freeze 2 nights ago, it broke the pvc valve. I'm trying to find if Brass or the poly banjo ones are the way to go.
I think the brass may be more tolerant to freezing than the banjo. Stainless would be a better choice but for quite a few more bucks. I'm putting a banjo valve on one tank and a stainless 1" on the other, that may show which one works best.

red/one
03-04-2021, 08:49 AM
I think the brass may be more tolerant to freezing than the banjo. Stainless would be a better choice but for quite a few more bucks. I'm putting a banjo valve on one tank and a stainless 1" on the other, that may show which one works best.

I had 60 gallons of sap in it before I noticed. I don't want to scramble like that again. Ha ha. I think I will go with brass. Don't think I can get stainless local.

NhShaun
03-04-2021, 08:52 AM
I had 60 gallons of sap in it before I noticed. I don't want to scramble like that again. Ha ha. I think I will go with brass. Don't think I can get stainless local.

It was just trying to test your reaction time and keep you on your toes. Get the brass valve and maybe grab a few plugs that fit in the outlet on the inside of your tanks, in case a valve breaks next time. You'll get your arm soaked putting it in, but at least you won't lose all that sap.

red/one
03-04-2021, 08:57 AM
It was just trying to test your reaction time and keep you on your toes. Get the brass valve and maybe grab a few plugs that fit in the outlet on the inside of your tanks, in case a valve breaks next time. You'll get your arm soaked putting it in, but at least you won't lose all that sap.

Your reaction time is good! Using a plug is a good idea! Thanks!

eustis22
03-04-2021, 09:13 AM
>it broke the pvc valve

Welcome to my world. Next time I don't leave the valve on the tank open to the ball valve

red/one
03-04-2021, 09:26 AM
>it broke the pvc valve

Welcome to my world. Next time I don't leave the valve on the tank open to the ball valve

The PVC valve is my tank valve because the original IBC valve broke... :cry:

johnallin
03-05-2021, 05:56 AM
You could screw a tapered stopper on the end of a pc of pipe and use that to keep sap in the tank in freezing weather. Leave the ball valves open.

https://www.amazon.com/6-Rubber-Stopper-Hole/dp/B06XSSBR28

Sugarmaker
03-05-2021, 11:42 AM
cold out there. Try to get the tanks all empty if possible. Put sap in smaller containers if they have to be frozen. Yea its tough out there some days!
Regards,
Chris

aamyotte
03-05-2021, 12:44 PM
outside line tanks. Filled 35 gal. Can't move them-way too heavy. No power there either.

Not the best solution, could you chip the ice with an axe and put the chunks in buckets until you get enough out of the tank so that you can move it somewhere warm to let it thaw out?