PDA

View Full Version : Tank Volume Spreadsheet

TapTapTap
03-02-2021, 07:48 PM
I finally took the time last night to create a spreadsheet to calculate gallons in a round bottom tank. The spreadsheet inputs are height, width, and length. The output is a depth to top of sap (from the top of tank) and the volume in gallons. The values seem to make sense.

It makes tracking raw sap easier and monitoring the head tank. I need to keep track of the raw sap intake since I'm now organic. I have a whiteboard at the raw sap tank on which I record the volumes for each boil.

https://eciconstructionvt-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/kpidgeon_ecivt_com/EZrdnEOuAqNLsPQ0dgQQ7_oBJo5K11LtRTQRrZes2ioPqQ?e=g lesQm

If anyone tries it out then let me know what you think and if you spotted any errors. Besides the tank dimensions, you'll need to trim or expand the number of rows to match the depth of your tank.

Ken

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2021, 07:16 AM
Nice tool -- we do the same sort of thing. In addition, after we reconfigure tanks, during the first boil we'll take several measurements from the beginning of tank depth and time, then make a chart to put near the evaporator so we know how long a boil will be based upon sap depth in the feed tank.

wnybassman
03-03-2021, 11:54 AM
Speaking of this, does anyone know of a source of volume charts for milk tanks? I do have the depth stick, but inches does me no good. lol I am guessing milk tanks probably originally came with a chart of some kind specific to that tank?

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2021, 12:46 PM
What make/model and size of tank is it?

If you can't find it, you might call a distributor. Alternatively, if you know the shape and inside dimensions you can create a depth x volume chart pretty simply.

TapTapTap
03-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Speaking of this, does anyone know of a source of volume charts for milk tanks? I do have the depth stick, but inches does me no good. lol I am guessing milk tanks probably originally came with a chart of some kind specific to that tank?

What's the cross section shape?

johnallin
03-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Thank you Ken. I use a sight tube on the head tank but have nothing for the raw sap tank
This’ll be nice to have on hand. I also track sap in and take hourly readings on head tank to est gph on boil rate.

wnybassman
03-04-2021, 05:28 AM
What make/model and size of tank is it?

If you can't find it, you might call a distributor. Alternatively, if you know the shape and inside dimensions you can create a depth x volume chart pretty simply.

It's a Universal 400 gallon. Don't have the model offhand without going in the woods to find out. It's very short and squaty. Only reason it would be nice to know is I pump it up to my 275 gallon tank on my truck, and normally cannot see my truck to see when it is full. Only ever had a couple close calls coming to within inches of the top. lol