PDA

View Full Version : Syrup bottle shelf life?

Jaredd91
03-02-2021, 11:16 AM
3rd year doing this usually i put my syrup in canning jars with the wax seal lids but this year i picked up some nice syrup bottles from sks bottling and was wondering if the syrup will keep ok if i put it right into these? They came with black plastic screw caps with looks like a paper type seal on the inside.

Galena
03-02-2021, 11:59 AM
3rd year doing this usually i put my syrup in canning jars with the wax seal lids but this year i picked up some nice syrup bottles from sks bottling and was wondering if the syrup will keep ok if i put it right into these? They came with black plastic screw caps with looks like a paper type seal on the inside. I don't think wax seal lids will do it anymore. So long as you hot-pack the syrup bottles properly, you should be fine.

Ocelotsden
03-02-2021, 12:25 PM
i picked up some nice syrup bottles from sks bottling and was wondering if the syrup will keep ok if i put it right into these?

As long as you bottle it at the correct temperature and seal the lids properly, it should last on the shelf a long time. The temperature should be 180-190 degrees as it goes into the bottle and many recommend briefly laying the bottle on it's side to sanitize the cap with the hot syrup. Technically, I've read that a year is standard, but I had a bottle from 3 years ago that was perfectly fine. Refrigerate after opening of course.

maple flats
03-02-2021, 12:32 PM
Over the years I've had several failures to seal with bottles with a cardboard seal, (maybe 1-3%). I never had a failure with caps with a seal like these https://packagingoptionsdirect.com/13-425-round-phenolic-black-continuous-thread-closure. Be sure the cap matches the threads on the bottle. In that type cap I've sealed thousands of bottles with zero failures.
The ones I like best have a soft plastic (nylon?) seal part way down the cap, and a top quality seal in the very end of the cap. If sealed properly, in glass syrup will last 20+ years just keep it out of the sun to maintain grade.

ChaskaSap
03-03-2021, 01:06 PM
I've been using mason jars that have the dimple in the center of the lid. If depressed the seal is complete and should last for years. I've been told to always put on a new top and never reuse them.

Pdiamond
03-03-2021, 08:58 PM
You are correct always put on a new lid. You can re-use rings and jars, not lids.

Hkb82
03-03-2021, 11:25 PM
I always lay them on their sides to make sure the cap is getting sterilized by that 190 degree syrup. I also find you will notice caps that aren’t sealed properly as they will draw in small air bubbles. My first year I was having trouble with the caps but I think I learned it was from a bit of syrup spilled on the rims of the bottles when filling. I’ve never used masons for syrup but have for lots of other stuff. I was told to Always use new lids by my mom back in the day and I don’t know anybody that does as much preserves as she does. Old rings are ok as long as no rust. I’d probably not use used pickled masons jars for syrup just in case. I’m sure after a good clean and boil and bake they’ll be ok but I treat this stuff like gold. Plus I like the looks of it in syrup glass. I do a lot of the plastic these days as I find the regulars buy those for the fridge more. I gave a bunch to friends that brought me empty crown royal (different kind of liquid gold) bottles throughout the year. All those that did got One or two back filled with syrup. Looked sweet and super eye catching but I told them to start using it just in case it didn’t seal properly being a used alcohol bottle. I’m pretty sure they sealed good though as I didn’t see any bubbled air in when cooling. Was a huge pain removing the labels so that was the only year I did that lol. Kent bottles have been a bit hard to find this year in Ontario so I’m sure we will see lots of mason jars and different ideas kicking around.
Happy sapping

NhShaun
03-04-2021, 07:33 AM
For the first 3 or 4 seasons i bottled mine in Mason jars with the normal lids they offer. I still have a couple of those sitting around from 2014 and 2015 and still show no signs of going bad. I always hot packed at 190F screwed on the lid and flipped the jars over for about 20 minutes. Only had a handful that didn't seal properly and formed mold. Also it's a good idea to inspect the top rim of the jars before bottling especially if they are used jars. I had one with a little chipped edge that i didn't notice, when it was filled and flipped upside down it spilled very hot syrup all over my counter top and the other jars i had just bottled.