PDA

View Full Version : Sap Hydrometer

ecolbeck
03-01-2021, 06:33 PM
I have a sap hydrometer that has shown itself to be untrustworthy (unless all my sap is actually pure water). I am wondering if I could make up a standardized solution of sugar water and then find the error in the hydrometer reading and use that to correct future sap measurements. I know that 1 brix is 1g sucrose per 100g water. I don't have any precision tools although I could probably access some. Is there an established procedure for this or should I just give up and buy a new hydrometer?

therealtreehugger
03-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Personally, I would get a new hydrometer, then compare the old to the new, and then you can mark where on the old one, certain sugar contents are. Then you have a back-up!

ecolbeck
03-01-2021, 06:49 PM
Personally, I would get a new hydrometer, then compare the old to the new, and then you can mark where on the old one, certain sugar contents are. Then you have a back-up!

That makes way more sense than my plan....

ir3333
03-01-2021, 07:31 PM
when you get a new hydrometer immediately before use put a reference mark for the hydrometer scale in the cardboard box.
This will tell you in the future if the paper scale has slipped inside...and they do!