PDA

View Full Version : Listening Device for leak-checking?

jrgagne99
03-01-2021, 11:01 AM
Has anyone used one of these listening devices to help with leak checking? I'm familiar with watching the bubbles and use clear CV2s to find tap-hole leaks, but wonder if one of these could help find leaks when the sap isn't flowing.

https://www.amazon.com/Listening-Scientific-Explorer-Electronic-Observing/dp/B00EEZQPHO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=listening+device&qid=1614617882&sr=8-3

Amber Gold
03-01-2021, 11:32 AM
I haven't, but I think it's CDL that makes a leak finder. I wonder if what you found would work.

A thought I have is why not train dogs to find vac leaks?? Mine's with me most every time I'm in the woods and her hearing is far better than mine. Not sure how to get her there.

dogpatch
03-01-2021, 03:03 PM
I wear Howard Leight Impact electronic earmuffs when hunting. They amplify sounds as well as cut loud noises.

Zucker Lager
03-02-2021, 11:32 AM
At work we used an ultrasonic microphone tool to find leaks, vacuum or pressure. It was a very expensive handgun shaped tool that would listen to sounds at an ultrasonic frequency then translate that into audible sound through a headphone. Once you knew how to use it (mostly what to listen for) you could find the tiniest leak from 20 feet away. Maybe they are less expensive now? Jay

upsmapleman
03-02-2021, 12:31 PM
I have one I bought off Ebay a few years ago. The name is Inficon. I only use it to check for leaks in pump room and very small leaks in line I can't find. My major problem is bears and you have no trouble finding there damage. Often can see it just looking up line.