PDA

View Full Version : Tee question

bawplank
02-26-2021, 10:47 AM
I'm I missing it somewhere ?
Do they make a tee with two barbs on it. Most of my trees have two taps and I am putting in two tees side by side , is this correct. Seems like there would be a double and triple barbed tee for this purpose? Still new at installs so I'm sure I am missing something. Thanks

maple flats
02-26-2021, 10:56 AM
You will get more sap if each tap gets it's own tee, don't try to save pennies on tees to lose dollars in syrup.

Pdiamond
02-26-2021, 10:17 PM
I don't knoow if I am fully understanding you, but you want 1 drop with 1 tee if you have two taps you have 2 drops and 2 tees.

SeanD
02-27-2021, 06:32 AM
That's correct. Each drop should have its own tee into the lateral. If a tree has 2 taps, install 1 drop/tee on the uphill side of the tree and the other drop is installed on the downhill side of the tree. That way you can get to all parts of the tree and you also won't have your tees right up against the side of the tree. It's not wrong to have tees against the tree. It's just easier to install them and change them when they are away from the tree a bit.

Arctic Fox
02-28-2021, 08:53 PM
It's just easier to install them and change them when they are away from the tree a bit. So true, I couldn't agree more!

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2021, 08:21 AM
It's not wrong to have tees against the tree. It's just easier to install them and change them when they are away from the tree a bit.

in addition to the good advice already mentioned, typically in a new installation the drops will all be cut in (for single trees) in one direction, either uphill of the tree a little or downhill a little. Most will install them on the downhill side a little about a foot or so before the tree. That way if you need to take slack out of lateral lines for some reason, you pull them from the end (furthest from the mainline), which will move the tee and drop closer to the tree instead of further away. It also is easier that way because it is often easy to shorten the line at the end-ring compared to having to cut out the mainline connector and replacing it.