PDA

View Full Version : Contaminating new taps

bill m
02-25-2021, 06:50 AM
I replace spouts every year. I cut the old one off, put a new one on and drill. I know some producers replace them in the summer or fall then plug them back into the tee they just pulled a dirty spout out of. Has a study been done to see if the taps pick up any contamination from the tees?

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2021, 07:30 AM
Has a study been done to see if the taps pick up any contamination from the tees?

Not sure if you are asking the question as you stated it (contamination from the tees) or you meant contamination from the tRees by putting spouts out early.

From the TEES. Sap backflow occurs due to a number of reasons. The amount of backflow and distance it can flow depends upon a lot of things, but we have certainly seen sap backflow go back a considerable ways that can exceed the distance from the tee to the tree. That isn't real common. What is more common is short 1-2" episodes of backflow from releaser dumps or periodic backups of sap in the pipe. That is why a new spout is helpful, because most backflow only happens over an inch or two. However a new spout alone is not always enough, because some backflow events can move sap from further back in the dropline. This is why CV spouts, periodic replacement of drops, or sanitization is required to restore maximum yields. In short, the spout is by far the most important aspect of sanitation, the dropline is also very important (unless you use CV spouts), the lateral line has very little influence, and the mainline has only a very minor impact.

If instead you meant has anyone looked at timing of when to replace spouts in terms of sanitation....not yet. We've typically replaced ours in the early-late winter before tapping, and I don't think it has impacted our yields. I don't think I'd try it as early as the summer before. This year we put some spouts out in mid-October some in mid-December, and some while tapping in mid-February. Should have an answer in a few months.

bill m
02-25-2021, 07:56 AM
My question was about putting the new spout back into a possible contaminated tee cup during the fall and leaving it there until it is time to tap in February.

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2021, 09:24 AM
Probably not the best idea to stick a new clean spout into a dirty cup or tee post. We let the drops dangle all summer/fall/winter until we tap. They dry out that way so you don't get a lot of crap growing in the residual liquid.

Bruce L
02-25-2021, 11:33 AM
Probably not the best idea to stick a new clean spout into a dirty cup or tee post. We let the drops dangle all summer/fall/winter until we tap. They dry out that way so you don't get a lot of crap growing in the residual liquid.
Dr.Tim,do you not get bugs/ slugs in the lines by leaving them open all year? We always go back through after a couple of days of “ drying “ and recap the stubbies on the tees. Yes we do get the odd bit of residual liquid to get run out onto the ground on early run,but have seen spiders,sand wasps and even slugs in the lines if a drop line comes off in the off season

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Occasional mud-dauber wasps, but not much else.

maple flats
03-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Same here, mud daubers only. My drops just hang.

eagle lake sugar
03-01-2021, 06:05 PM
I cut off the cv spouts and left on the clear 90 degree spouts without check valves last spring and let the drops hang. I've noticed that the drops with the spouts on them have frozen sap still in the drops and the ones where I cut off the spouts don't. From now on I'll be cutting off the spouts from all my drops when I pull taps in May.