PDA

View Full Version : Batch boil?

Hunt4sap
02-25-2021, 06:32 AM
Been bigger in past years but only have time to make a little syrup this year.
If my wood burner evaporator is too large and I use my turkey fryer with flat ss pans to evaporate down to "close" nearup how long will I be able to keep adding more batches to my finisher before it goes bad if kept outside ( highs forecast to average 40- lows average 30?(I'm saying going bad because of not being finished syrup with that ambient temperature)

ddociam
02-25-2021, 09:24 AM
If you have room you might consider putting it in the freezer until your ready to finish and bottle. I did that last year when pressed for time.

Hunt4sap
02-25-2021, 11:53 AM
Ok, so "nearup" in freezer will be ok how long?

I'm guessing you mean boiled down sap to "nearup" put in freezer not raw sap? ( I don't have that much room but could put small amounts of nearup- a few gallons in freezer)

NhShaun
02-25-2021, 12:18 PM
It will last as long as your freezer will in theory. You could always put the whole tray in a cooler and pack some ice around it if you're worried about it going bad between boils. If it's a couple days you'll be fine, If it's a week or more then you'll likely have problems. Whatever you do, keep it out of the sun or away from anything that the sun will heat up.