PDA

View Full Version : sap transfer pump

super sappy
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a 1 1/4 diaphragm pump that I want to use for sap. It needs a 6:1 gear reduction motor.it ($$$). I know that this pump will do what I want during sap season then its gonna sit. So i was thinking, what if I was to buy a new 3/4" Oberdorfer gear pump I could use it with a small gas motor witch is cheaper than the gas gear reduction motor and then Id try to make a cream machine like the new style cream machines. I just do not know how well these Oberdorfer gear pumps hold up, do you have to prime them, how strong are they head etc? Ps I will be using it to clear barrels at roadside then into the woods to pump a 200 gallon tank and it will have to pump about 20 feet of head. -Super Sappy

brookledge
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
SS
As far as I'm concerned there is no better pump to use when doing road side buckets. For buckets and small storage tanks they are great. When I use to have some buckets I had a 50 foot length of suction and the pump mounted on the vehicle one person could drive and one person would just walk from bucket to bucket and you would never lose a drop or have to carry the sap in pails (pain in the but)
Being that it is a rotary pump and not a centrifical pump they prime imediately and suck each bucket out very quickly.
I would not recomend them if you are going to be pumping alot of tanks over say 300 to 500 not that they won't do it just that it would be quicker to go to a centifical pump.
But another draw back to self priming centrifial pumps is that while they will self prime it drives me nuts waiting for them to prime compaired to a rotary pump
I used a 3 hp gas engine with a direct love joy coupling.
Keith

gmcooper
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Not sure how that 3/4" Oberdorfer pump will work with sap. I think it would be very slow. From the manufacturer they need to be set up with pillow block system to prevent shaft from wearing (I know they mount pulley direct on shaft with filter presses). You can go to Tractor Supply and get a gas power transfer pump for about $225. Comes with a suction hose and pumps 1800 gal per hour. It is 2 cycle and light weight. I have used one for several years.
Mark

TapME
01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
mark; where is the tractor supply store around our area?

gmcooper
01-02-2008, 08:05 PM
TAPME
Tractor Supply has new store on route 1 Scarborough. A mile or so south of Downs race track. just before the marsh. Other store is in Skowhegan across from Walmart. The are planning 5-7 more in Maine but no idea when or where.
Mark

TapME
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks Mark. Is it around the old Gross man's store or up by the old Mammoth mart store? I beleive that is the Orion center now.

royalmaple
01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Right at the end of the salt marsh, old grossmans. You got it.
Nice place, they got tons of goodies.

TapME
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys.
Matt; how's that furnace?

Valley View Sugarhouse
01-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Man look at the people on here from so maine!! next time I am at my parents during sugar season I guess I need to hook up with a few of you and see your operations!!

super sappy
01-03-2008, 05:18 AM
I have a small transfer pump but it is a pain in the butt to keep priming at each stop. I also have 12 volt pump that I use for barrels but it is slow. I am a man that likes to wear a belt and suspenders and I want 1 pump to do all primary pumping in an efficent manner and when that breaks , then rely on the 2 cycle and bilge. If the 2 cycle fails then the sap in the big tank will most likely get flushed. the bilge will not pump that much head and depending on flow in the creek lugging it across the creek is not a great back up plan.Anyone Know where to get HYPRO pump rebuild kits? -super sappy

Jim Brown
01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Guys; Just my two cents but I bought a 2 cycle pump(new in the box) off the internet for $169.00 delivered to the house. It came with1 1/4 inlet and outlet fittings and claims were it would pump 35 gallon per minute. I reduced it down to 3/4 in and out and it still pumps 20 gallon per minute and it is what we use to empty our stock tanks in the bush to haul to the sugar house.It has a one pint gas tank and I think we used 1 1/2 gallon of gas all season last year. Two pulls and the darn thing starts and runs great! Only weights about 3-4 pounds. good for us old guys!

Jim

royalmaple
01-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Boiler is great.

Valley view, stop on over anytime you are around. I'm just outside scarborough / saco area.

TapME
01-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Valley View, I'm 10 miles west of Lewiston, Mine is not much to see the pans in the basement and the arch is covered with snow and the sap hauler is a true teenager. Where are your parent located?

H. Walker
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Jim Brown, what kind of engine do you have on your transfer pump??

jemsklein
01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
well we just bought a pump on ebay that pumps 17 gallons a min for 109$ on ebay it 1.6 hp eletric but we got a genorator so it doas the job

Jim Brown
01-03-2008, 09:57 AM
H.Walker. Japanese, I think it is a Mitubishi (.89 hp)

Jim

brookledge
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
SS
I would say that the 3/4" gear pump would pump around 20 GPM. But like I said there is absolutely no waiting for priming, stick the suction in and the sap is moving compared to waiting for a centrifical.
I presently use a 3/4 teel (got it from Grainger and less than a oberdorfer) to pump my sap from storage tank through my filter and into my feed tank. When I shut it off it drains back so that it doesn't freeze. if I had a centrifical it would not overcome the resistance through the filter to get a prime each time.

I know it sounds like I hate centifical but I don't I have both. I have a tanaka 1 1/2" 2 cycle and a honda 4 stroke 1 1/2". I use them for pumping out my storage tank. Also the 4 stoke uses only a fraction of the fuel my tanaka does
It's just that I have both kinds and see the advantage of both
Keith

gmcooper
01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Keith,
Learn something everyday. I never would have guessed that a gear pump would work with sap. Sounds like it works well for you. I like the idea of quick prime and self draining.
Mark

brookledge
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
The maple supply companies have sold them for ever. The oberdorfer brand has gotten very expensive that is why I went with a teel and it has held up well
Keith

Jim Brown
01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I know that on 'The Trader' I have seen this question asked and answered a dozen time but I failed to write the info down.

"WHAT IS THE RATIO OF BOILING 1.5% SAP-2%SAP-2.5%SAP-3%SAP ETC."

Thanks
Jim

H. Walker
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Jim Brown, take the % of the sap and divide it into 86.

eg. 2% sap divide into 86= 43 it will take 43 gallons of sap to make 1 gal. of syrup.
3% sap into 86 = 28.667 gal. of sap to 1 gal. syrup

Jim Brown
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
H Walker; Thanks I knew it was simple but for the life of me I could not remember
Thanks
Jim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Divide 86 by the sap percentage.

jemsklein
01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
that will come in handy

danno
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
The old "Rule of 86"

I've got a question for your guys pumping sap with the two cycle pumps. I have one but it leaks sap through the manifold, even though I've now tried to re-build it twice with new gasket, washers etc.

Anybody have similar experiences with 2 cycle pumps leaking or how to stop leaking?

Gave up on it last season and went to the submerged sump pump in the holding tank. Worked great, but would still like to have the 2 cycle operational.

Bucket Head
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Danno,

I have both a 2 and 4 stroke, 1" discharge pump. I have had no trouble with either one.

I don't follow you on the leak point. The manifold? Carburetor intake manifold?? Please explain. What brand of pump?

Steve

danno
01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Steve - it's a Homelite (which has since been discontinued). It's actually leaking out of the bottom of the housing. Seems like it would be a bad "O" ring, but that was replaced with a new one and still leaks.

NH Maplemaker
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
danno, is this a homelite water bug pump? because if it is I had the same problem last year with mine!
Maplemaker

danno
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Maplemaker - this my leaky pump.

Works great for water, but just can't stand to see sap flowing on the ground.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/d1/09/a4e5_1.JPG

NH Maplemaker
01-10-2008, 07:40 AM
danno, I have an 800# were you can get the parts that you will need for repair! Behind the inpella in the tank,on the inpella shaft you will find a ss spring and a ss cup with a rubber washer in it .This ss unit is what keeps the water from leaking out around the shaft. when this is happening,water looks like it is comming from between the tank and motor! I have fixed 2 of this type pump with this same problem. Jim L

PS. I"ll get the 800# from the sugar house and post for you!!

davey
01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
My dad is a Homelite factory service dealer and may be able to help as well. he is very familiar with this pump as it is the one we use too and he has serviced hundreds of them. His number is 315-986-2520. You would be calling Dick Deys at Para-Deys Tools small engine repair, don't be afraid to ask questions and have your model and serial number as this makes it so he can easily pull up a schematic.

danno
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Looks like the homelite is gonna get pulled apart again. Just when I was about to give up on it for sap ...

I'd love to get this pump sap tight.

NH Maplemaker
01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
danno, Here is the phone # for the parts! It is 1-800-242-4672 if this is the way you decide to go!! As davey said have Modle and serial # ready. Jim L.