PDA

View Full Version : Computer power supply won't work in the cold

Maple Lady
02-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Anyone else have the issue of a computer power supply not turning on because it's too cold? I'm trying tubing for the first time and have a shurflo set up with a temperature controller and it wouldn't turn on. I heated the pump and power supply with a blow dryer and it started. I'm trying a 40W lightbulb now to see if it will keep it warm enough. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do. I don't have another power supply to try. Any suggestions? The whole setup is in a tote box with a lid, not out in the open.

dvnwvt
02-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Is it possible there's a low temp cutoff to prevent the pump freezing?

Maple Lady
02-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Yes, I have it set to shut off at zero celsius but when I warm the probe in my hand for it to turn on at 3 degrees, it wouldn't. But when I warmed the power supply with the blow dryer, it turned on. I tested it by putting ice on the probe to shut off and it shut off. Warmed in my hand to turn on and it turned on. When the power supply gets cold again, it won't turn on, the fan in it doesn't spin or anything.

Ocelotsden
02-22-2021, 06:24 PM
That's strange, typically cold doesn't effect things like power supplies. Heat yes, cold no, especially when your talking right around the freezing mark. I suppose it's possible that there is a weak connection or solder joint somewhere in the power supply that when cold enough the metal contracts and looses connection. Then once warm and it expands, the connection comes back. That would be rare though, so it's just a thought. I've had it happen in vehicles.

amasonry
02-23-2021, 04:53 AM
What the amps on the power supply? at least 10amps for cold start-up.

Maple Lady
02-23-2021, 04:58 AM
I don't know but will check when I go there this afternoon. Thank you for that information.

Maple Lady
02-23-2021, 05:38 PM
I forgot to check the amps but the lightbulb trick worked and kept it warm enough to turn on.