PDA

View Full Version : Tubing into Buckets

TheNamelessPoet
02-21-2021, 09:36 AM
21982 my picture

TheNamelessPoet
02-21-2021, 09:39 AM
man I miss tapatalk!
My trees are all tapped and run into a bucket like this. The only problem is every once in a while the clip pops off and falls down into the sap. Does anyone have an idea on how to make sure that the tubing does not pull out of the bucket?

maple flats
02-21-2021, 10:11 AM
When I was using 5 gal jugs and tubing drops into them, I used spring clamps that pretty much required a spring clamp pliers to open enough to slide on. Never had any fall off. Something like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Car-Single-Wire-Fuel-Line-Hose-Tube-Spring-Clamp-Clips-5-8-3-4/324113319415?hash=item4b76a8c5f7:g:OD8AAOSwX2teeeh ~
Maybe the double wire type might be a little better, you can also get them made of a flat band of spring steel. Those can be applied using most any pliers.

ir3333
02-21-2021, 10:48 AM
i've been just sticking the tubing in loose.Maybe i should be securing it but have never had one fall out?

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2021, 10:54 AM
i've been just sticking the tubing in loose.Maybe i should be securing it but have never had one fall out?

Drill smaller holes. You want them to be really tight so they don't pull out or go deeper, or for water to run in. As shown, it is best to go in the side of the bucket rather than through the top to prevent rain or snowmelt from getting in.

Ocelotsden
02-21-2021, 11:05 AM
That's pretty cool!
I use 3 and 5 gallon water cooler type jugs. On some of them that still have the cap where the center piece pops through when placed on the water cooler, the tubing fits in there nicely in the hole. On others, I bought some replacement snap on caps and drilled a hole in them so the tubing fits snug into the jug.
I like this way instead of buckets for me since it keeps any rain or debris out of the sap. I just sit the jugs on the ground if there's snow, I pack some around the jug to both prevent tip over and keep them cold.
Of course, I'm very small time and only boil around 50 gallons of sap per year or I would need buckets for a lot more trees.

aamyotte
02-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Glad I saw this thread. I was going to drill into my lids. My plan is to drill as small as possible as mentioned by Dr. Perkins.

Openwater
02-21-2021, 04:25 PM
I use 5/16 tubing into buckets.
I put my tubes in thru the lids and drill the hole(s) in the lid slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the tubing.
I cut the end of the tubing at an angle so it's easier to push it thru the hole, which is a little tough, but I know they won't move and they're water tight.
I push it about 1-2" into the lid and it stays put very well. When we empty the buckets, I just take the brick off the lid, remove the lid which I hold in one hand while dumping the bucket into my bigger collection bucket with the other hand. I only "lock" one side of the lid on the top of bucket to make sure no air-lock is created. When collecting, I could also easily just let the lid hang on the end of the tubing if I need to use both hands to lift the bucket.

ir3333
02-21-2021, 05:18 PM
i cut a 5" x 1" mouth on the side just below the top and leave the lid snapped tight. Pour out through
the opening without taking the top off.

Pdiamond
02-21-2021, 09:12 PM
Openwater you do exactly as I have always done works great and any water on the lid you can pour off, unless its one of the little grandkids and they get there ahead of you. ha ha

Z/MAN
02-21-2021, 10:13 PM
I like going in through the lid. I put a 7/16 blue spile on the bucket end of the tubing. I drill a 7/16 hole in the lid and push the spile into the hole in the lid. The tapered spile seals easily and perfectly in the lid. When collecting sap I just take the lid off and dump into my collection vessel and then replace the lid and only snap 3 of the 4 latches down. Snapping only 3 latches makes it easy to remove the lid and keeps the bucket from becoming pressurized. It still closed tight enough that the bucket is sealed from the elements and moths.

NhShaun
02-22-2021, 08:33 AM
I have tried both drilling into the side of the bucket and the lids. I find the lid to work better for my set up. I also cut the tubing at a slight angle and it makes it easier to insert but still gives a good seal to prevent water from running in. I have a few lines running to buckets and barrels that will actually become pressurized and swell up if the lids are put on fully. I thought maybe it wasn't good to have them so well sealed but the containers that do that are usually more full then others. The worst of the bunch are the 3/16 lines i have running into 12 gal sealed top barrels. Should i add some sort of vent or just let them build pressure that is released when i remove the lids? In the past I have drilled a hole and added a short section of tubing vertically with a T running horizontally to prevent rain from getting in and that helped.

TheNamelessPoet
02-22-2021, 11:43 AM
These are all fantastic ideas! I think for this year I am going to get some of those clamps Maple Flat suggested. But next year, I am thinking about trying out an inexpensive vacuum system, system since I have pretty much tapped out my yard and my neighbor's so I have to get more with what I have to feed my addiction lol. I am still going to have to put bucket's in my neighbors yard due to distance but these idea's have given me something to think about at least.

It is also interesting to see everyone's different techniques. I love the maple community!

eustis22
02-22-2021, 01:20 PM
I cut 5/16 holes in the top, and screw in a 3/8 NPT barbed fitting that the drop goes over. Keeps the water out and I don't have to worry too much about disruption emptying the buckets.

therealtreehugger
02-22-2021, 04:31 PM
I use 5/16 tubing into buckets.
I put my tubes in thru the lids and drill the hole(s) in the lid slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the tubing.
I cut the end of the tubing at an angle so it's easier to push it thru the hole, which is a little tough, but I know they won't move and they're water tight.
I push it about 1-2" into the lid and it stays put very well. When we empty the buckets, I just take the brick off the lid, remove the lid which I hold in one hand while dumping the bucket into my bigger collection bucket with the other hand. I only "lock" one side of the lid on the top of bucket to make sure no air-lock is created. When collecting, I could also easily just let the lid hang on the end of the tubing if I need to use both hands to lift the bucket.

I do almost exactly what Openwater does. I also leave a good amount of tubing in the bucket, probably more than I need. I didn't think of cutting the tubing at an angle, but I am sure that would help to get it in the hole! But it is tight enough that once it is in there, it ain't coming out!

Openwater
02-22-2021, 07:11 PM
NhShaun:
"Should i add some sort of vent or just let them build pressure that is released when i remove the lids? In the past I have drilled a hole and added a short section of tubing vertically with a T running horizontally to prevent rain from getting in and that helped"

I generally like to keep things as simple as possible.
I try to avoid positive pressure in the buckets at all costs; don't want anything impeding or pushing back sap flowing from tree, thru tube into bucket.
I'd just drill a very small, 1/16" hole in the side of the barrel/bucket up near the top. Minimal to no rain should get in, and you only need to small opening to keep pressure equalized.
If I was more concerned about rain and wanted to get "fancy", I'd drill a littler bigger hole in the high side and push a 10-20cent plastic 3/16 spout/spile in the hole pointing down so you have a 90-deg elbow as your vent.

Pdiamond
02-22-2021, 08:34 PM
NhShaun - vent that container some way and you won't get that build up of pressure.

NhShaun
02-23-2021, 07:51 AM
NhShaun:

I generally like to keep things as simple as possible.
If I was more concerned about rain and wanted to get "fancy", I'd drill a littler bigger hole in the high side and push a 10-20cent plastic 3/16 spout/spile in the hole pointing down so you have a 90-deg elbow as your vent.

That's a good idea! I was a little hesitant to drill holes in my open top barrels but a 1/16 hole isn't going to hurt anything, And i have come to realize i will likely only use these barrels for sap collection anyway. Wondering if i have been holding the sap yields back on my 3/16 lines running into these barrels without venting for the last few seasons. I only seal the lids tight because i had a few fall over in the past and lost all the sap.