PDA

View Full Version : First one firing. New evaporator

Mister maple
02-20-2021, 06:51 PM
I just got my new 18x36 Thor hobby evaporator and I installed the fire brick today. The package of stove cement I used said to allow it to dry for 24 hours and cure with a small fire. Is this suggested ? What is the typical procedure ? With pans on or off and for how long ? Then after that can I start a full fire right away. I want to be able to burn a full fire to be able to boil the pans to clean them.

maple flats
02-20-2021, 07:05 PM
When I bricked mine it said to give it low heat for 24 hrs, then medium heat 24 and then I could fire it fully. Obviously a differend product. It that one say 24 hrs, that's what it needs. If putting the pan on, it must have water or sap in it, never have a fire in the arch with a dry pan.
If you go too fast, all it will do is end up with more cracks. If you have a heat lamp, that can likely do it for some of the time, but be sure to use a small fire for at least 6-8 hrs.

Pdiamond
02-20-2021, 09:03 PM
when I did mine I put the pans on the arch and made a small fire and kept it going with water in them so the mortar would cure and i could clean the pans.

buckeye gold
02-21-2021, 06:36 AM
You will crack your cement if you do it too fast. I like the premixed refractory mortar, it's smoother and applies more evenly. I had to replace my pipe thimble this year and knocked a few brick loose. I just went to the hardware and bought some powdered refractory and it was course and it did not cure well. I ended up redoing it with castable refractory like this, https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-12-5-lbs-Castable-Cement/dp/B000H5T5EA/ref=asc_df_B000H5T5EA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657821370637&psc=1. This one does not have to cure. I was already running when I realized the other had come loose so I tried this and after 12 fires it's still solid

ir3333
02-21-2021, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't worry if the cement cracks.I'm not convinced it's even necessary.I didn't cement mine
in so i can replace a brick easily if one cracks...and even then i'd probably leave it alone.