PDA

View Full Version : Installed Spin Seal Fittings Today on New Mainline

TapTapTap
02-18-2021, 07:44 PM
I liked the spin seal fittings. We installed 6 new mainlines in our expansion this year with 1" pre-lashed with the intention of using the spin seal. We rented the tool and it worked great. I did about 125 fitting in just a couple of hours. I need to go back tomorrow to drill them out and connect the laterals. I just focused on the welding this afternoon since we're expected snow tomorrow.

I started to rethink the spin seal since i had some left-over saddles from a previous project. But then I realized that installing saddles on the pre-lash would be a PIA! I would need to install wire ties back a ways from each saddle, cut the lashing, and then install the saddle with additional wire ties. The prelash is definitely made to go with the spin seal. So I went back to plan A and glad I did. Even on a smaller project it was worth the $100/day tool rental plus the 80 cent fitting.

Ken

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-18-2021, 08:08 PM
Yes, saddles on prelash is a pain. We are running the spin seal on our newly installed mainline this Sunday. Worked great last year on that new mainline. 1 more line to redo next year. Once you get the settings right, they work great. No leaks!!!

ecp
02-19-2021, 07:31 AM
I love the spin seal machine. It works well once you are used to it for sure. I have some difficulty on thin walled pipe, but if you use the spin seal pipe I found it is pretty forgiving.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-19-2021, 08:28 AM
Only mistake I made first time was that I tried it and set it up on a piece of tubing that was is in our unheated shack. Figured it would be close enough. When I went to the bush and tried it, I overcooked the first couple holes. Since then, I just make sure to put a piece of tubing in the bush a day or two before to test with. A few degrees makes a big difference and I imagine being in the sun might too which may have been my issue that first time.

TapTapTap
02-19-2021, 12:54 PM
The only downside I see is the cost of the tool. It's too costly to have in my sugarhouse. I wish more dealers in would have rental devices.

nas
02-19-2021, 02:28 PM
At $100/day it wouldn't take long to be worth buying one. Especially when you want to add a lateral here and there.

Nick

maple flats
02-19-2021, 02:49 PM
Check with Grimm Maple Products, (grimmreaper) on the MT, last I knew he had one for sale. He bought it, then tried it on other brands of tubing and decided he didn't like it. That was 2-3 years ago.

VT_K9
02-19-2021, 06:25 PM
We have one and it works great. We bought it prior to starting an expansion of tubing. We have not used it as much at this point as other projects have delayed the use. We will be putting in about 40 in the next couple days. We planned a 800 or so tap expansion and then we would be moving to redo the other 400 taps. So far it has done well. We are also in the process of changing over to the prelash tubing. We have one area in the older section which has a long over head run and it will save a lot of time when it comes time to do that area.

The spin seal tool does come with a cost. If you are starting an upgrade, new area, or re-do over a period of a few years it may well be worth buying the tool or if you have a trusted neighboring sugarhouse to go in on halves...but that doesn't always work out as planned. It will save time and money down the road.

Mike

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-19-2021, 06:30 PM
We’re fortunate enough to have a buddy that just says use it. We’ve used it more than him. I am going to force him to take at least $100 this time. We’ll only need it one more time next season for another 30 saddles. We’ll buy his if he ever sells it and try to rent it out. Like anything, depends on how much you need it whether or not it’s worth it.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-21-2021, 04:36 PM
Put in just under 30 today. Screwed 1 up which my mistake. Wire was in the way and I didn’t realize it. Had another not fuse good, pulled it off and taped the line. All others came out great. I love that tool. CDL did something right with that invention.