PDA

View Full Version : re-using taps on Lines

BSHC
02-18-2021, 02:00 PM
I have been reading a lot about yield reduction and tap/drop line replacement on 3/16 or any tubing for that matter for sanitation purposes. My question is, can you remove the tap and re-use them if you say were to boil them to kill bacteria. I know they are cheap so time wise its not worth it in a commercial application but if i can figure out a reasonable way to get the line off the tap could i clean them and recycle back into the rotation?
thanks

DrTimPerkins
02-18-2021, 02:12 PM
It would be easier to soak them in a diluted bleach solution (cheap bleach without all the additives) for 10 minutes, then rinse with clean water.

The issue that this does NOT address however is plugging of 3/16" tubing at the tees and unions in the line. You need to run a bleach solution through the tubing lines, then rinse with clean water or replace all the tees and unions at least every couple of years.

maple flats
02-18-2021, 08:24 PM
In 3/16 I change taps every year, every TEE and every 3/16 fitting in the line. That gives me the best sap flow. I also clean the tubing by pumping it to full and leave it there until mid fall, when I open it and rinse with potable water. For that I use calcium chloride, not sodium chloride, squirrels love the latter. I used to clean just after the season and repeat in mid fall, now I just fill the lines and drops, plug them shortly after the season and leave it full until mid fall.

maple flats
02-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Trying to save the cost of the taps costs you far more than the tap cost in lost sap collection and thru syrup lost.

therealtreehugger
02-19-2021, 06:56 AM
In 3/16 I change taps every year, every TEE and every 3/16 fitting in the line. That gives me the best sap flow. I also clean the tubing by pumping it to full and leave it there until mid fall, when I open it and rinse with potable water. For that I use calcium chloride, not sodium chloride, squirrels love the latter. I used to clean just after the season and repeat in mid fall, now I just fill the lines and drops, plug them shortly after the season and leave it full until mid fall.

When you leave the lines full all year, do you leave them full of the calcium chloride solution or plain water?
Thanks!

wlatrout
02-19-2021, 06:15 PM
I'm using Zap-Bac taps 5/16 drops planing to replace every 3 yrs. Is this going to hurt my production. Have all 3/16 lines.

maple flats
02-19-2021, 07:37 PM
When you leave the lines full all year, do you leave them full of the calcium chloride solution or plain water?
Thanks!
Calcium hypochlorite? I'll I typed the wrong chlorine product earlier

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-20-2021, 05:53 AM
I'm using Zap-Bac taps 5/16 drops planing to replace every 3 yrs. Is this going to hurt my production. Have all 3/16 lines.

Don’t want to hijack this thread. But to answer your question, we are starting our first year of zap bacs. I spoke with a member on here (mountainvan) who has been using them longer and at a higher volume than anyone I know. His cycle is year 1 new drops and tap (non zap bac), year 2 all new zap bacs, year 3 same zap bacs, replacing only damaged taps. He did do a third season first time around on some and said he noticed a significant drop off in their performance after 2 seasons on them. So we are also planning on them being a 2 season spout. We will probably start our cycle back over in year 4 with new drop. Van does another 2 years with a new zap bac before doing drops. He has over 5000 taps in New York.

eustis22
02-20-2021, 08:37 AM
I had to replace all my lines this year because I stupidly left them full of calcium hypochlorate for a month and my chemist friend said the poly would absorb it.

BSHC
02-24-2021, 12:14 PM
my thought was to replace taps every year and the entire drop every 3 years. I just wondered if it was possible to free-cycle the taps and T's and re-use them as new in the next rotation. I hate the idea of tossing all that plastic, even if it is going to recycling.

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2021, 12:48 PM
It depends. It would be fine if you can take them all down as one piece and run a sanitizing through them and then rinse well before putting them back up.

Cutting the drops off and cleaning then reusing them would also be fine, but I'd not reuse tees. The score mark made when removing the tee makes a microleak. Even if you're really careful it makes a microleak 10% of the time. Then these leakers are spread all around your woods and you spend a good deal of time tracking them down and fixing them (by replacing the tee). Turns out to be simpler and cheaper in the long run (in terms of labor and materials cost and lost sap) to just replace tees when you replace drops.