PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Sanitation

aamyotte
02-17-2021, 08:21 AM
I have been seeing discussions of tapping sanitation in other threads but didn't want to highjack those. There is mention of using a stick to clear the tap hole of debris and not using the same stick more than once.

This brings up my question. How is using the same drill bit in multiple trees without cleaning or sanitizing between tap holes different? Or is the bit cleaned between uses and I have not seen it mentioned.

I am getting close to starting my first season and want to get it right.

ddociam
02-17-2021, 09:23 AM
There is a lot of information out there. My first year was 9 taps and quarter inch tubing.
I think think the first thing in tap sanitation is the tap hole being round an about an inch and a half deep. In and out with the drill.
then using a new or sanitized tap preferably a boiled or chemically sanitized tap. Drops are replaced every three years or sooner, I think there is some good reasons if doing buckets to use cv taps so the sap doesn't get drawn back into the tree.
Happy tapping

SeanD
02-17-2021, 05:02 PM
I reuse sticks from tap to tap - especially if it's a good one: thin, straight, smooth, rigid. Eventually, I lose it and I have to find another one. I can't imagine looking for a stick for every tap. That would add a lot of time out there. Scrap pieces of high tensile wire do the trick, too.

Arctic Fox
02-17-2021, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about sanitizing the bit between taps. Even if the drill bit is sanitized between each tap hole, the bark you're drilling through when tapping any tree isn't sanitized.

TapTapTap
02-17-2021, 06:46 PM
Scrap pieces of high tensile wire do the trick, too.

I use a 10-inch piece high tensile. I bend it in the center to fit in my upper apron pocket such that it springs open semi-tight in the pocket yet still sticks out to access easily. I'm careful to just clean the outer part of the hole and not to probe in.

GeneralStark
02-17-2021, 07:56 PM
The references you're seeing to taphole sanitation refer more to maximizing the amount of time a taphole will yield sap than sanitary practices when tapping. Sure there are things you can do to minimize microbes entering a taphole when drilling and inserting a spout but in terms of maximizing sap production, there are many more important things to consider. These factors will depend upon how you are collecting sap, and the potential routes microbes may find into the taphole.

If using buckets, the taphole is essentially exposed to air, so your window of opportunity before the tap hole dries up is limited. Using a new spout every year will maximize your window, as the spout itself is also a vector for microbes. Sanitizing spouts may help, but this will depend upon the spout material and method. Another option may be re drilling tapholes or staggering your tapping timing and moving buckets.

If using tubing, the spout and the tubing become the primary vector for microbes because the tree can pull sap that has contacted the tubing (and microbes) back into the taphole when it freezes. Once again, new spouts and tubing will maximize production, but there are other options as well. These include sanitizing spouts and tubing, using check valve spouts, changes drops frequently, running the vacuum pump constantly, etc...

How focused on taphole sanitation you are will depend upon your goals. A hobbyist may not be as concerned with overall production as a professional sugarmaker would be. Regardless, there are many things one can do to maximize the the long term viability of a taphole.

DrTimPerkins
02-18-2021, 07:39 AM
Nicely written Matt.

aamyotte
02-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

maple flats
02-18-2021, 10:11 AM
I'll just answer the first question a little. What is the difference and why a new twig to clear chips if you just use the same bit? The major difference is that your fingers touched the twig, they have microbes on them, and thus the twig is contaminated, and don't touch the end of the twig you will use to clear the hole. For the drill bit, don't touch it with your hands between holes, in fact I use nitrile gloves when I put the drill bit in the drill chuck. Every new bit gets boiled in clean water before being used and I boil again after a day of tapping. A tapping bit generally will last for 2000-2500 taps, then it can be sharpened, but only if done with a machine specifically made for sharpening drill bits, not by hand on a grinder. This applies to those who regularly successfully sharpen other bits, a tapping bit needs precision and the price for a tapping bit is well worth it if you care about how much sap you will get from each tap hole.

aamyotte
02-18-2021, 12:38 PM
I'll just answer the first question a little. What is the difference and why a new twig to clear chips if you just use the same bit? The major difference is that your fingers touched the twig, they have microbes on them, and thus the twig is contaminated, and don't touch the end of the twig you will use to clear the hole. For the drill bit, don't touch it with your hands between holes, in fact I use nitrile gloves when I put the drill bit in the drill chuck. Every new bit gets boiled in clean water before being used and I boil again after a day of tapping. A tapping bit generally will last for 2000-2500 taps, then it can be sharpened, but only if done with a machine specifically made for sharpening drill bits, not by hand on a grinder. This applies to those who regularly successfully sharpen other bits, a tapping bit needs precision and the price for a tapping bit is well worth it if you care about how much sap you will get from each tap hole.

This is where I was getting confused. Great information about the process with the bit that I hadn't seen anywhere else in the forum.