PDA

View Full Version : Sealing the gap between the pans

Arctic Fox
02-15-2021, 07:04 PM
I've got about a 1" gap between the front and flue pan when I have all the plumbing connected. I have some insulation blanket that I thought I'd put in there but I'm thinking if I just stuff it in there it may over time fall down into the firebox. What recommendations are there for keeping the insulation blanket in place between the pans so as to get a good seal for the firebox?

Pdiamond
02-15-2021, 07:55 PM
Most two pan system I've seen the pans are tight together. I think your only option will probably be a piece of metal welded in that spot. I don't think you;ll be able to hold anything up without some kind of support.

VT_K9
02-15-2021, 08:30 PM
What evaporator do you have. We used to have a Leader WSE 2x6 and there was a space between the front and rear pans. We filled that space with blanket. It would eventually fall through no matter how careful we were. It was not a big deal when we had 275-300 taps as separation was minimal. Once we started to expand and separate the pans more for cleaning we would have to adjust or replace the insulation strip more. We ran some insulation support rods through the insulation and it would last a little longer.

Mike

VTnewguy
02-16-2021, 03:22 AM
Piece of ceramic blanket to fill the gap is what we use on our 2x6.

amasonry
02-16-2021, 04:41 AM
I use some tape to hold the ceramic blanket in place.

TapTapTap
02-16-2021, 05:13 AM
Is this a homemade rig? It seems odd that there'd be a 2 inch gap. Can you split up the gaps between the front/middle/rear? Then a 2 inch gap becomes three at 5/8 which is more manageable for insulated gasket.

Super Sapper
02-16-2021, 05:43 AM
You could possible stand a piece of flat steel and wrap some insulation around it from the top of the flat to help hold it there.

SeanD
02-16-2021, 06:26 AM
I agree 2" is a big gap to fill, but it can be done. I would put two 1"-thick strips of arch board laid on their edge in there. Make them as long as the arch so they sit on the rails and support themselves. Then you don't have to worry about them falling. I'm pretty sure I have some scraps if you want to try that.

Arctic Fox
02-16-2021, 06:16 PM
I think the gap is actually closer to 1". I'm going to try some steel and an insulation blanket since I have some of that already and see how it works and comment again with how it works out.

Bucket Head
02-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Like Super Sapper suggested, I didn't like the idea of nothing in between the pans on my 2.5x10 Lapierre pans when I got them. So I got two pieces of 3/8" stainless round stock 32" long and then went to the local fireplace/woodstove store and bought some rope gasket. The I pushed the round stock through the center of the gasket and hose clamped the ends of the gasket onto the rounds. They set on the edges of the arch with the clamped part overhanging the arch, the pan clamp fixture in front of the arch pushes the pans/gaskets together and the rounds keep everything from sagging/falling into the fire. I replace the gasket every year because the side exposed to the fire gets brittle.

Steve

Arctic Fox
02-25-2021, 08:31 PM
I managed to adjust the pan gap slightly. I got it down to just about 3/4". I used an old piece of rebar and slid that through some rope gasket I had. The seal isn't 100% but significantly better than it was. I may try some insulation blanket to see if I can get it a little bit better and comment again with my results.

Bucket Head
02-25-2021, 08:45 PM
I tried wiring strips of blanket to the round stock before I went with the rope gasket. It worked okay, but I wanted to get away from the wiring thing and the rope method was quicker and more "durable" with the constant on and off of them for pan changes/cleaning.

Even if either doesn't seal 100%, good draft will ensure fire and smoke does not escape. I can see a little "orange glow" from underneath one of my syrup pans where the arch top rail is not perfectly flat. I have woven flat gasket material there and I do not have anything escaping at that slight low spot.