PDA

View Full Version : submersible sump pump to transfer sap?

wmick
02-15-2021, 01:36 PM
Anyone have experience using a 120V submersible sump pump and small generator to transfer sap? ,that they'd be willing to share?

I collect sap in a IBC tote, a couple miles from home, and about 50 yards from the road.
I've been transferring the sap to a trailer using a 1" gas powered pump, and lay-flat hose.... Which does work great... Pretty Quick too..

I'm thinking about changing things up a little bit....

Lots of sub pumps rated for about the same gph as my 1" pump, but I do wonder whether a sump pump will have any problem opening up the lay-flat hose?

My thought is leaving a small generator on site, and leave the sub pump in the tote..... Allowing me to pump to the road and charge up my surflow batteries at the same time.... (while eliminating some trips carrying the gas powered pump and batteries back and forth, and not need to worry about priming or draining the pump, etc.. every trip)

I know its challenging to find a sub pump to fit through the IBC lid... but I would simply cut a new larger access panel..

Thanks for your thoughts.

Arctic Fox
02-15-2021, 05:12 PM
I recently found a submersible pump that will fit through the opening on an IBC tote. It's a Munro MXS202S11 (https://www.munropump.com/Products/Pumps/Domestic-Water-Pumps/Munro-5-Multistage-Bottom-Suction-Submersible-Pump). I haven't pumped any sap with it yet, though that should change in about a week and a half. A test run of the pump in a bucket of water indicated to me it would have no problem opening a lay flat hose.

Sugarmaker
02-16-2021, 07:29 AM
Have used RULE brand 12V pumps for years. Maybe not quite that far but get the right pump for the job and it should work. Light, small, quiet, easy to transport, should fit through the hole on a tote.
Maybe a 3500 GPH unit???
Rule-14A-Heavy-Bilge
Regards,
Chris

Mister maple
02-17-2021, 04:27 PM
I am Also looking for a transfer pump. Electric. I plan on collecting sap in a barrel in the back of my utv. Then pull up to my elevated storage tanks. I was looking at a pump that says it is water cooled and oil free and is safe for fish and plants. It doesn’t say food safe but I assume it will be fine. It can be submersible or I can leave it out and use a garden hose on each end and hook to each tanks. Thoughts ?

Sugarmaker
02-18-2021, 07:02 AM
As I mentioned the RULE pumps on 12 volt are pretty bullet proof. 15 years of testing on our system.
Regards,
Chris

buckeye gold
02-18-2021, 08:30 AM
My vote is for the rule 12 volt as well. You can wire a plug on your UTV, tractor or any equipment then have a 110 to 12v transformer in the shack and use it everywhere. I done this 4 years ago and wouldn't do anything else now. The same pump goes to the woods or the shack

Mister maple
02-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have a link to the model of rule pump. Also, would a small pond/fountain pump work. They are safe for fish and plants so I assume they would be safe to use ?

buckeye gold
02-19-2021, 07:16 AM
don't use the fish pond pump they aren't the same or food safe. Here is what I use. It's rated for RV use for drinking water, according to the supplier. I ask them if it was food safe and that is how they replied. It's in it's 4th year and doing great. I have already used it 12 times this year. There are many other options, just look for RV water safe rating.
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-1500GPH-Marine-Plumbing-Electric/dp/B07CKPY9LZ/ref=sr_1_28_sspa?crid=21GUIWVHYNRDM&dchild=1&keywords=rule+12v+bilge+pump&qid=1613739944&sprefix=rule+12v+%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-28-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUU1IRVlHM01aVzZQJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQyMjI4Tk4xVEEwWU5MQjgwJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NTUzMDYxNVpDUFpaOU8zVjlKJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==