PDA

View Full Version : 3D printed Sap Sack Holders

medic5794
02-14-2021, 02:56 PM
I'm teaming up with a coworker who has a 3D printer to make 3D printed sap sack holders. I'm trying to gauge interest in the market on them. Can you all please follow the survey monkey link and fill out the survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GRK2FZ2

octane
02-14-2021, 03:35 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade but I am wondering how this can be profitable. I have done a lot of 3d printing and it is slow going. It would have to be made from abs plastic as the pla is biodegradable and will warp if exposed to heat. Hard to compete with 3.99 sap sack holder that are made from galvanized that will last forever.

wobbletop
02-14-2021, 04:26 PM
...Or the home made versions.

johnallin
02-14-2021, 05:02 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade but I am wondering how this can be profitable. I have done a lot of 3d printing and it is slow going. It would have to be made from abs plastic as the pla is biodegradable and will warp if exposed to heat. Hard to compete with 3.99 sap sack holder that are made from galvanized that will last forever.

You’re a real breath of fresh air...If you looked at the survey, he’s targeting $2 a pop.
Beats the daylights out of your 3.99, I say go for it! Beats sitting on the couch.

octane
02-14-2021, 05:11 PM
I am a breath of fresh air. I read through the survey, hence the questions about the cost. Trying to get him to think about cost analysis before he wears out his coworkers 3d printer. Like everything they have a limited lifespan with consumable parts on them besides the printing filament. There will be about $1 in filament cost and approximately 3 hours worth of print time for each holder. 33 cents worth of profit per hour not counting electricity and wear and tear on the printer.

maple flats
02-15-2021, 10:50 AM
While I don't use sap bags, if you try to go ahead with this idea, I'd suggest $3.00 each and see how it goes. It's far easier to cut prices if you decide it can be done than to raise them once you have a batch of orders.