PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Epping

otf
02-13-2021, 07:53 AM
Hello all! I have enjoyed lurking here for some time. Wanted to connect finally with the community. We don't have a lot of knowledge to share but love to talk sugaring!
We are in Northern Epping and running a small Mason 2x3 in a converted garden shed. If there is anyone tapping in the Epping area this week let me know.
I want 60 taps this year but will probably end up with 50.
Cleaning buckets today and tapping next week!

maple flats
02-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Is that Epping, NH? Please show the state or province on any locations. We have thousands of members who have no idea where Epping is.

otf
02-13-2021, 02:20 PM
Well obviously Epping, NH! Only one of two Eppings in the world (the other in England). And for those that don't know also the "Center of the Universe"! ;) I thought maybe posting in the NH forum would have given it away.

Pdiamond
02-13-2021, 08:03 PM
otf,
That is a neat little set-up you have, I like it. Still real cold here maybe in a couple of weeks weather will break, one can only hope. Have lots of fun this year.

tapdat
02-13-2021, 09:22 PM
Hey otf, really like your setup too. I'm relatively new to the game, still on a block arch with steam pans, hopefully will get something like that in a few years. Hoping for 50-60 taps across my trees and my neighbors, all on buckets. Finally joined the forum this year too after lurking. Still frozen in my parts of the state, hoping to tap before March but who knows when the continued low temps will break. Worried it'll be a short season if it doesn't let up. It's all just for fun for me, but the waiting game sucks!

Aaron Stack
02-14-2021, 01:57 AM
Welcome to the show Oft. I worked a summer job years back building a Burger King in Epping many years back so I know where that is :). Good luck on your 50 buckets!

red maples
02-14-2021, 04:44 AM
Welcome oft, I am in East Kingston so not far from you. Nice little set up. looks like the cold weather is gonna break for us by monday next week!!! good luck!!!

BAP
02-14-2021, 08:14 AM
Welcome aboard. I’m on the other side of the state in Walpole NH. Looks like a great setup you have. Have a good time with it.

maple flats
02-14-2021, 10:17 AM
Well obviously Epping, NH! Only one of two Eppings in the world (the other in England). And for those that don't know also the "Center of the Universe"! ;) I thought maybe posting in the NH forum would have given it away.
It's not that obvious, first members from every maple producing area often post in a section designated for a different area, and how many will check to see how many Eppings there are in the world. It just makes good sense. Thank you for clarifying your state.

Cparker
02-16-2021, 05:32 AM
Welcome! I am in Dover, NH. Not too far away! I have 180 taps with a 2x4 mason evaporator in a 16 x 20 timber frame sugar house. Last year I had 70 taps. I'm Pretty sure I am going to be over run by sap with only having a 2x4 but we'll see.

eustis22
02-16-2021, 05:39 AM
Welcome...just over the line in Haverhill. 60 taps with 2X3 Mason in a 12X12.....pavilion.

otf
02-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Welcome oft, I am in East Kingston so not far from you. Nice little set up. looks like the cold weather is gonna break for us by monday next week!!! good luck!!!

Red Maples, we have been to your place and bought your product. Great setup you have in a perfect location.
Loved the fact that you were very open to sharing knowledge of what worked and what didn't.
Good luck this season.

otf
02-16-2021, 03:40 PM
Welcome...just over the line in Haverhill. 60 taps with 2X3 Mason in a 12X12.....pavilion.
Keep us updated on your output. We have similar setups.
The addition of a RO was a game-changer for us in the past 2 years.

otf
02-16-2021, 03:42 PM
Welcome! I am in Dover, NH. Not too far away! I have 180 taps with a 2x4 mason evaporator in a 16 x 20 timber frame sugar house. Last year I had 70 taps. I'm Pretty sure I am going to be over run by sap with only having a 2x4 but we'll see.

Timber frame sugar house is awesome. We have a timber frame home and love the style. Are you running a fan with the 2x4? We played around with one in the rear of the firebox but last year changed to one in the front. Made a difference with the boil for-sure.

otf
02-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Hey otf, really like your setup too. I'm relatively new to the game, still on a block arch with steam pans, hopefully will get something like that in a few years. Hoping for 50-60 taps across my trees and my neighbors, all on buckets. Finally joined the forum this year too after lurking. Still frozen in my parts of the state, hoping to tap before March but who knows when the continued low temps will break. Worried it'll be a short season if it doesn't let up. It's all just for fun for me, but the waiting game sucks!

We started with the steam pans and ended up with a Mason 2x3 for my wife's birthday. Huge difference in production and consistency of boil for obvious reasons. We had come to the junction of either replacing the block arch or buying the Mason. Glad we went that route.

eustis22
02-17-2021, 06:19 AM
I've used Hodorskibs design for an RO the last couple of years but I find that I cannot run it in cooler temps...also, it takes a long time to process the 50-100 gallons I collect at a time so this year I am upgrading the 4 X 150gpd membranes to 2 X 400 gpd and getting a bigger pump to move things along

Amber Gold
02-17-2021, 08:49 AM
I'm in Barrington. Not too far from you. Good luck this season!

otf
02-21-2021, 06:53 AM
I've used Hodorskibs design for an RO the last couple of years but I find that I cannot run it in cooler temps...also, it takes a long time to process the 50-100 gallons I collect at a time so this year I am upgrading the 4 X 150gpd membranes to 2 X 400 gpd and getting a bigger pump to move things along
I upgraded ours last year trying to double capacity. I think it improved performance but it did not double it. Still a huge improvement over the alternative.

otf
02-21-2021, 06:57 AM
Tapping today 2/21/21. I expect to be able to collect from our buckets by Wednesday. Maybe first boil in a week?