PDA

View Full Version : Storing syrup

Kamina
02-10-2021, 04:39 PM
Hi all -

Per my previous post here I’m in my first year with all of this. I was curious as to how all of you store your syrup for longer-term storage (say a year, for example). Mason jars? Other?

Thanks all - this site is great. Excellent resource and great community.

ecolbeck
02-10-2021, 05:10 PM
We store syrup for personal use in quart mason jars. They are cheap and reusable. For gifts for friends and family we tend to use plastic jugs. For fancy gifts we use small glass bottles.

ir3333
02-10-2021, 05:21 PM
any sterilized glass containers. Actual syrup bottles are nice.
long term...straight to the freezer!

maple flats
02-10-2021, 06:59 PM
I store mine in plastic jugs for up to about 3-4 months, I don't pack more that I sell in that amount of time. That stored longer is stored in SS barrels. If you are not big enough to pack a SS barrel, use either canning jars or any glass syrup bottle. In glass, if bottled at 180+, will be good for several years. I have a few bottles that were packed 10-12 years ago, they are still good. If packed in plastic jugs try to only have them a max of about 6 months. Freezing is also a good way, syrup will not freeze solid because of the sugar %, but it will keep for over a year.

Kamina
02-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies. Very helpful. Much appreciated.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-10-2021, 08:13 PM
I store mine in plastic jugs for up to about 3-4 months, I don't pack more that I sell in that amount of time. That stored longer is stored in SS barrels. If you are not big enough to pack a SS barrel, use either canning jars or any glass syrup bottle. In glass, if bottled at 180+, will be good for several years. I have a few bottles that were packed 10-12 years ago, they are still good. If packed in plastic jugs try to only have them a max of about 6 months. Freezing is also a good way, syrup will not freeze solid because of the sugar %, but it will keep for over a year.

Dave- what is your reasoning for only 6 months in the jugs? Did you have a bad experience with a batch or something? I cracked open a jug of dark from 2018 this week that we had set aside for our personal use and it was fine. I would have had no problem selling it to a customer. Just curious on your reasoning for it.

Pdiamond
02-10-2021, 08:29 PM
I use quart and pint mason jars. relatively inexpensive and seal real well. easy to handle.

DrTimPerkins
02-11-2021, 07:08 AM
Per my previous post here I’m in my first year with all of this. I was curious as to how all of you store your syrup for longer-term storage (say a year, for example). Mason jars? Other?

For long-term storage either:

- Mason jars (new) stored in a cool, dark place.
- Plastic (new) stored in the freezer.
- Plastic (new) stored in cool, dark place if you don't mind the syrup turning dark....use XL coated jugs to slow darkening down a lot.

4Walls
02-12-2021, 08:46 AM
I store mine in either new glass 1L bottles that are intended for sale or I get massive amounts of used Crown Royal bottles from my local recycling depot. Its at the legion and they put the 375ml and 750ml bottles off to the side for me. The ones here in Canada are easy to clean, labels soak right off and are a really tough but pretty embossed bottle. They preheat very well and I have never had one crack. Filled well over 2000 of them over the years. I pack hot and have never had one of them spoil. Ive had syrup from the cold cellar that has been over 15 years old that tastes as good as fresh. The ones in the Crown bottles are only for friends and family.
The Quebec syrup cartel has a repository of massive amounts of syrup that is kept for years in steel drums. They do this to even out the fluctuations of syrup prices year over year. You will notice they never have a date of production on the syrup. Only sometimes date of packaging.