PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized base stack?

Shaggy acres
02-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Hi folks, Just a hobby guy here, season is coming on fast and I need to build my base stack. I have a sheet of 20ga Galvanized steel. Can I use that to make the base stack safely? Base stack would be 3’ by 18” at the base. One open side of shack and one side is stockade fence so it is well ventilated but I am concerned about off gas from the galv metal. The base stack will be 6’ from the fire box minimum. AUF in the box. As always, Thank You!

ecolbeck
02-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Galvanized base stacks are common (which doesn't necessarily make something a good idea). Since your shack is well ventilated, I think it likely that any off-gassing will simply rise up and out the cupola with the steam. It also seems likely that the vast majority of any off gassing will happen quite quickly.

maple flats
02-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Base stacks mage using galvanized are still in use throughout much of the maple world. I'm not sure how long 20 ga will hold up, I think most galv. base stacks are a little heavier, but you certainly will get a few years out of it. As that needs replacing, consider a SS base stack, in normal use it should last several time longer than the galv. one.

NhShaun
02-07-2021, 09:32 AM
I've had a galvanised base stack for about 5 years that I got from bascoms. It has held up well without any holes or rusting through yet. The off gassing pretty much ended after the first boil and wasn't too much of an issue with the windows and cupola wide open. I would use what you have and plan for stainless on your next rig.

Shaggy acres
02-07-2021, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys! You are the best resource!!!!!

Shaggy acres
02-08-2021, 11:12 AM

Not sure if they will show up. Ready to add the pan

NhShaun
02-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Looks good! A lot more fancy than my galv base.