PDA

View Full Version : Food safe PVC tubing

Sugar Bear
01-31-2021, 11:52 AM
I am looking for some food grade safe PVC tubing. Specifically 3" in diameter as well as end caps for it. Does anybody know where I may find it for sale?

JoeJ
01-31-2021, 12:10 PM
I purchased my 3" SDR 26 PW water pipe at a local water works piping supply company. There should be one in your locality.

Joe

buckeye gold
01-31-2021, 12:55 PM
Any commercial plumbing supply or construction supply should have it, like joel said ask for sdr 26

Sugar Bear
01-31-2021, 06:00 PM
Thanks

Is there a cement (also food safe ) that can be used on that?

bryankloos
01-31-2021, 06:28 PM
Out of curiosity, is schedule 80 not safe for potable water?
It was my understanding that it was not the "best' choice as its known to break down at high temps, not necessarily because it is toxic.
I'm curious what other think.
If its bad, it may be time to make new containers for my RO filter storage.
Thanks,
Bryan

Sugar Bear
02-01-2021, 11:53 AM
Out of curiosity, is schedule 80 not safe for potable water?
It was my understanding that it was not the "best' choice as its known to break down at high temps, not necessarily because it is toxic.
I'm curious what other think.
If its bad, it may be time to make new containers for my RO filter storage.
Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan

The recent issue of the Maple News I picked up at Bascoms last week has an article about PVC tubing and how it should be Food Grade safe. And how they ( "the inspectors" ) will be cracking down on people in the coming years. But that I guess is for sap flowing in and over non food rated PVC tubing. Then there is the question, is it safe to store RO membranes in non Food Safe PVC? Then there is the question about the cement used to seal the ends of the PVC storage containers?

Maybe in this instance storing membranes, there is no concern, considering none of us live for ever anyway.

I figure it makes sense to make my storage containers out of food grade PVC if I can do it.

Rob

buckeye gold
02-01-2021, 03:21 PM
I can't see why any of the water line rated PVC wouldn't be Ok. If it's ok for our drinking water then why wouldn't it be ok for sap? That would be SDR 26, White Schedule 40 waterline, CPVC and pex. I don't think schedule 80 would be on that list. Use the right glue and it's fine, it should say on the bottle for use with PVC waterline. Read the printing on the pipe side you should find an NSF code. NSF pw, NSF -pwg this stands for National Safety Foundation -Potable Water

Sugar Bear
02-01-2021, 04:52 PM
I can't see why any of the water line rated PVC wouldn't be Ok. If it's ok for our drinking water then why wouldn't it be ok for sap? That would be SDR 26, White Schedule 40 waterline, CPVC and pex. I don't think schedule 80 would be on that list. Use the right glue and it's fine, it should say on the bottle for use with PVC waterline. Read the printing on the pipe side you should find an NSF code. NSF pw, NSF -pwg this stands for National Safety Foundation -Potable Water

There is an somewhat informative article in the current Maple News on this topic. It starts on the front page of what I believe is the current edition. The abbreviation NSF dwv ( stands for drain waste vent ) is to be avoided. It seems it is always on schedule 80 as this heavier pipe is used for sewage and never assumed to be used for potable water. According to the article this PVC can contain lead and other toxins and for those reasons should never come into contact with food sources. I do see that Home Depot sells a Schedule 40 with a NSF dwv rating. So I would assume that should be avoided for the same reason. So buyer beware that not alll Schedule 40 is going to have a NSF pw rating. I would assume that some does or as you title it, the "White Schedule 40 waterline"

It seems that the crux of the article is that any PVC with a NSF code of dwv should be avoided in sap usage/contact. Not sure if there are other codes that should be avoided.

I think that Pex being made up of a different plastic is always food grade rated.

Sugar Bear
02-05-2021, 12:12 PM
I was able to get some good answers about PVC contact with sap and RO preservatives and the concerns I should have with its use given the context of that use, by someone at Grainger, who talked to me for about 1/2 an hour on the phone this AM.

1 -800 - Grainger