PDA

View Full Version : Mild steel pan

Bbc.396
01-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Built a 2x5 arch to use with my 24x24 pan and was going to purchase a 2x3 pan but funds are just not available right now. My neighbor is willing to weld up a mild steel pan for me he suggested 22 gauge mild steel. My question is will 22 gauge mild steel be ok or would thicker be better.

NhShaun
01-28-2021, 10:32 AM
I believe stainless steel should be your only choice for pans coming in contact with boiling sap. Have you searched around for used 2x3 Stainless pans locally?

aamyotte
01-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Since this was my first year and with a low budget I went low cost for my setup. I ordered 24ga full size buffet steam pans from Amazon. I know it's not the best route and will buy a proper pan if my first run is successful. Those pans could be a good alternate to mild steel pans.

Bbc.396
01-28-2021, 01:15 PM
I know stainless is the standard. I will not be selling the syrup.

maple flats
01-28-2021, 01:34 PM
To answer your question, 24 ga OK, 22 or 20 ga even better. You will need to be super careful to remove all oils 100% on new mild steel. After the season you will need to coat the pan inside and out with a cooking oil or cooking grease. Otherwise it will rust badly. Then before the next season make sure you remove all oil remaining, it may well be rancid and spoil the new syrup you make. In the meantime, keep your eyes open for a SS syrup pan, or even a SS buffet steam pan.
How many taps are you thinking?

Bbc.396
01-28-2021, 02:12 PM
The steel pan will only be used this year. Planning on 120 taps on shurflo vacuum.

maple flats
01-28-2021, 04:30 PM
At 120 taps with Shurflo vacuum, are you planning to sell syrup? If yes, check the local regulations on evaporators, are mild steel units allowed?

Bbc.396
01-28-2021, 06:45 PM
Will not be selling the syrup. I will be giving it away to family and friends, I just get the satisfaction of making my own syrup.

johnallin
01-28-2021, 07:06 PM
If you want to keep your friends and family happy and coming back for more syrup...don't cut corners...get a stainless pan.

Bbc.396
01-29-2021, 07:45 AM
I know there's lots of negative about using steel but it just not in the budget this year. I've read a few post in the past about people using steel and thought for $25 it was a cheap alternative to get me by for this year

tcross
01-29-2021, 08:08 AM
you can make fine syrup in a steel pan. Being a just a hobby for yourself and friends ... not everyone has a budget for a fancy, shiny $1,000 pan! do what works for you!

NhShaun
01-29-2021, 08:23 AM
You may be able to fill that 2x3 space on your boiler with some combination of stainless steam table pans for 20 or 30 more bucks. It will last and perform better than the mild steel without rusting and making your syrup potentially toxic.

Bbc.396
01-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Looked into steam pan there 30 bucks each plus shipping here in canada, and I would have to rework my arch there on 20 inches wide

Bbc.396
01-29-2021, 08:43 AM
Really like opinions from someone who has used a steel pan

bill m
01-30-2021, 06:59 AM
I have never used one but about 45 years ago I saw one someone was trying to make syrup in. All I remember is that he had problems with something in the steel leaching out and giving the syrup an off flavor. At least that is what he claimed. The steel was new.

Dwerden
01-30-2021, 07:21 AM
My cousin still boils on old galvanized steel pans, they are probably 40 years old. I have built him 1 replacement SS pan the last 2 years as they are finally at the end of thier life. I say do it. I have built a few pans and if you can build one from 22 Gauge steel you can do one out of SS next year

octane
01-30-2021, 09:02 AM
We have been using a steel pan for 35+ years. It works out fine. At the end of the season I was wash and scrub with a Brillo pad dry it out thoroughly and spray with a cooking spray and tip it upside down for the year. When it is time to cook in the spring I wash out it out and scrub it with another brillo pad and rinse very well. Pan has never rusted. Until the recent maple syrup equipment boom the majority of hobby pans used to be mild steel.

Bbc.396
01-30-2021, 09:28 PM
I decided to go ahead and have my neighbor build it from mild steel, I found a stainless sink that's 24x30 for 20 bucks locally so I'll try the steel pan and if it dont work out I can block off some of my arch and use the sink along with my 24x24 pan

Bucket Head
01-30-2021, 10:36 PM
We used a steel pan for years when I was a teenager just starting out. My father had a local fabrication shop make it. It made fine syrup, and I lived to tell about it, lol. Yes, stainless is the standard but steel will work. Do clean and degrease it after fabrication and before use. But don't get carried away with cleaning afterwards. Now let me explain that.

The soot on the outside of the pan is going to coat that surface. It's not going to rust as much as you think, and if it does, who cares. The inside is the important part. Don't do anything to it. Just rinse/hose it out really well. Don't scrub it and don't wire brush it. The inside of the pan will get a coating on it from the boiling sap over time. That will keep it from rusting- mine didn't!

Now with that said, it might take some boilings to "coat" it and I don't know how many uses it will see in one season. Hose it out good, dry it out good and you should be fine.

Steve