PDA

View Full Version : Blower recommendation for 5x16 wood fired arch

Hal
01-27-2021, 08:03 PM
Several years ago I rebuilt my Lightning arch, added an airtight front, and a "farmerized" over fire air system. I used easily available squirrel cage furnace blowers, one for under fire, and another for over fire air. My bank account has recovered from the new pans I put on two years ago, and I am about to distress it again by buying a good high pressure blower.

The UVM paper on improving combustion suggests a 3 hp radial blade blower, Grainger 7C561 Which produces about 1100 CFM max, less at higher pressure. The noise level is listed as 90 dBa @ 5 feet.

The D&G blower for that size arch is a 1 1/2 hp Backward incline blower, Grainger 7H160 rated 2800CFM at the same output pressure. The noise level is 72 dBa @ 5 feet, so much quieter. This is for the all out latest design arch, and might be overkill for my purpose.

Both are three phase and would require a variable frequency drive for phase conversion and speed control. The second blower is almost $1000 more from Grainger. I am trying to decide if the lower power requirement and lower noise level of the second choice will be worth the difference in price, or whether the blower itself is overkill for the design level of my evaporator.

I would appreciate any comments advice or experience with these blowers, or similar ones.

maple flats
01-27-2021, 08:23 PM
I don't know about how well either will be at improving boiling efficiency, but lower noise sounds good. You will also like either better if you put them outside the sugarhouse, with an enclosure over it, with the side away from the sugarhouse open to direct the noise away. That is how I have mine, but I don't really know how much pressure nor noise it makes, but I get a much harder boil than before I installed it, and I use less wood. What I don't know is if I could do even better, but, I'm happy the way it is.
Mine can sill be heard by the evaporator, but it's only a dull drone sort of sound, it does not drown out conversation like 90 dBa would. Personally I'd go for the higher output, but lower dBa of the 72 dBa unit. Have you checked to see how much D&G charges for that blower? Also check around, very often you can beat Grainger prices in my experience. Their advantage is just that you can often get in 1-2 days.

Hal
01-28-2021, 06:42 AM
D&G wants almost $900 more than Grainger, I found it on Zoro for $200 less than Grainger, with free shipping.

Sugarmaker
01-28-2021, 06:45 AM
Hal,
On my 3 x 10 I use 1 hp Aqua SPA hot tub blower for the AOF system. They may have bigger ones or you might be able to use two, one for each side of the arch. I mounted mine outside and use PVC to pipe the air into the rig. So the cost of these units are in the $150-$300 range? Power is 110 or 220v. The one I have works very well for me. I dont remember the CFM You would That is a big evaporator! you have!
Good luck with your improvements.

Here is the number I used to contact them 1-877-278-2797
Regards,
Chris

Hal
01-28-2021, 06:46 AM
I would like to put the blower outside, but it would mean eithe punching through the concrete foundation, or some pretty crooked and convoluted ducting. right now I am planning on an insulated box, and earplugs if needed.

maple flats
01-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Convoluted plumbing for a high pressure blower isn't a big issue. I suggest you use sch 40 PVC and for each ell, use long sweep ells. That's what I did, however I didn't need to go thru concrete.