PDA

View Full Version : Storing syrup in 5 gallon drums

Arctic Fox
01-23-2021, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have any experience with storing syrup in 5 gallon drums? If so do you know where to get them?

I noticed MES had some 5 gallon drums for sale at the end of last season, however they say they only sell 15 gallon drums now.

I like the idea of 15 gallon drums, however my canner can't hold 15 gallons, and I'm not setup very well to process out of 15 gallon drums.

Bellehollow
01-23-2021, 09:02 PM
We use 1/4 kegs. Remove the sanke valve from the barrel and hot pack your syrup after filtering. Cap it off with a 2" tri-clamp cap and look for the split 2" gaskets (flat on one side) from a brewery supplier. They hold about 7.5 gallons of syrup....gets you a little closer to your 5 gallon desire.

BAP
01-24-2021, 06:31 AM
I have used the 5 gallon blue plastic jugs for storage. They work good, clean them well with hot water and make sure they are dry inside before putting cap back on. However, if you are selling to a bulk buyer like Bascoms or others, they are no longer taking anything under 15 gallon drums anymore. Because of that, I just bought 3 of the 15 gallon drums from MES for storage this year.

Arctic Fox
01-24-2021, 09:32 AM
I have used the 5 gallon blue plastic jugs for storage.
Just to clarify, you hot pack the 5 gallon plastic jugs? If so that might work well for me.

ir3333
01-24-2021, 09:38 AM
how long will you be storing your syrup?

maple flats
01-24-2021, 10:13 AM
Yes, hot pack the 5 gal jugs. Be extra certain it is completely clean inside and intended for hot pack. For years small producers used blue, or white (semi transparent) jugs.
Starting a few years ago, bulk buyers either paid a lower price for bulk in the small jugs. Most if not all now only take 30 gal and larger. Some still accept the 26.5 gal ones out there. SS is either required or preferred by most buyers.
If you repack the 5 (or 6) gallon jugs, consider using a new cap when re-using the jug a second or more time. The caps are harder to get perfectly clean, especially under the seal.

Arctic Fox
01-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the information. I'll see about getting some this year. I'm planning to use them for storage then repack from them as my smaller sizes sell.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-24-2021, 04:13 PM
We like the 5 gallon jugs for ease of handling. I’ve tried syrup from other producers that was a couple years old in 5 gallon pails and it was good, no off flavors. I do wonder if the syrup may darken over time in plastic jugs but I’m not sure. Ours never sits around long enough to find out.

BAP
01-24-2021, 07:09 PM
Yes, hot pack the 5 gal jugs. Be extra certain it is completely clean inside and intended for hot pack. For years small producers used blue, or white (semi transparent) jugs.
Starting a few years ago, bulk buyers either paid a lower price for bulk in the small jugs. Most if not all now only take 30 gal and larger. Some still accept the 26.5 gal ones out there. SS is either required or preferred by most buyers.
If you repack the 5 (or 6) gallon jugs, consider using a new cap when re-using the jug a second or more time. The caps are harder to get perfectly clean, especially under the seal.
Not all bulk buyers require 30 gallon or bigger. Bascoms, one of the largest buyer just changed his policy from accepting 5 gallon jugs to only taking 15 gallons or bigger.

minehart gap
01-24-2021, 08:37 PM
Artic fox, I believe that one of your questions was where to buy 5 gallon jugs. I know that Leader sells 5 gallon blue hot pack containers so the other manufacturers probably do too. Try Bascons https://bascommaple.com/collections/drums

Arctic Fox
01-25-2021, 09:25 AM
I'll probably pick up some blue containers from Bascom's. I'm curious what the 6 imp. gallon white plastic drums cost but I bet it's more than the blue containers.

maple flats
01-25-2021, 11:27 AM
I don't know the prices now, but a few years ago I was at Eastern Crown Inc, (ECI) in Vernon, NY buying new o-rings for a 1.5" Sunset tank valve and I saw a small room full of 5 gal white plastic jugs. I asked the price, he said $10.95 and that Glen Goodrich bought several pallets of them each year. Now, Glen was big enough that he wouldn't pack in them for his bulk, but he may have used them for restaurant sales, diner sales and to sell them to small producers to pack their bulk syrup. Again, that is an old price, but check out ECI, dairy supply for current prices, likely less than what maple dealers sell 5 gal jugs for.

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2021, 01:53 PM
I do wonder if the syrup may darken over time in plastic jugs but I’m not sure.

It most certainly will darken. Closed-head (or tight-head) pails are not lined, so are oxygen permeable. Syrup will darken over time.

We used to sell some in 5-gal containers like this. Some places asked for the 2.5-2.65 containers (look very similar) instead due to the weight and handling (only 27.5 lbs vs 55 lbs).