PDA

View Full Version : syrup color and flavour

ir3333
01-21-2021, 05:00 PM
Hi guys...for those that started small and grew over time did you find the faster you made syrup
the lighter in color it became? I'm hearing flat pan boiling will make darker syrup than continuous
systems because of the extended time it takes to bring a large batch to syrup.
This will be my 3rd year so i'm pretty green. What's been your experience?

ecolbeck
01-21-2021, 05:05 PM
I have always made syrup continuously but I believe that your conjecture about darker syrup on batch systems is generally correct. Another major factor that relates to syrup color is how sap is stored before it is boiled. Long storage time (days) will likely also generally yield darker syrup.

ir3333
01-21-2021, 06:40 PM
That makes sense because i have read the increased amount of bacteria in the later sap as days warm
creates darker syrup. So storing it probably also increases the bacteria level and would have the same effect?
I too only have used continuous flow pans and early syrup has been lighter.Last year on my last boil
i think i got less than 3 litres of syrup for 60 gallons of sap.We had a long season and by that last boil i think the
sugar content was getting quite low.It ran well for another 10 days but i didn't gather or boil anymore.
This year i bought a sap hydrometer to check the sugar level at different times.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-21-2021, 06:56 PM
We started in a batch pan and now have a regular evaporator. All else being equal, syrup in a batch pan will always be darker. The longer sap sits in a pan with direct flame to it, the darker it gets. We used to just make a small amount of dark and mostly very dark. Now we make medium and dark, somewhere around 50/50. But last year was more like 75/25 mostly medium. Same trees, same tanks, all else the same.

ir3333
01-22-2021, 12:33 PM
OK..just read another article which says the longer glucose and fructose boil they will become darker.
Most people i have spoken too want amber?

ecolbeck
01-22-2021, 07:10 PM
Most people probably prefer a robust flavor for typical pancake syrup. However, lighter flavored syrups have many uses in situations where robust flavor may be less desirable (such as baking). In addition, if your are interested in value added products such as maple cream and granulated sugar, then lighter syrups would be preferred (although not strictly necessary).