PDA

View Full Version : Scored a tank

Woodsrover
01-19-2021, 03:25 PM
Found a very nice working Meuller 635 gallon refrigerated tank two and a half hours from home. Went up this morning and cut it out of the milk house and drug it home. Super excited to get it in place and working!!

DrTimPerkins
01-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Looks very similar to ours. Good luck and have a great season.

NhShaun
01-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Nice find and congrats on the upgrade! I've been searching for one close to home for some time now, curious how much you scored this for?

Woodsrover
01-19-2021, 03:51 PM
....curious how much you scored this for?

I gave $1300 for it.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Glad to see you guys found these deals, I’m jealous! I’ll keep looking

Bucket Head
01-19-2021, 10:46 PM
Woodsrover- Very nice! Worth every penny and every minute of your time to retrieve it! Just curious, was that one listed on Craigslist, maybe under the Binghamton, NY listing a couple of weeks ago?

Everyone else- Keep looking- they are out there! Maybe not in the numbers they once were- and not always still in the barn. I bought a tank from a guy who bought it and stored it away with the intention of making an engine block cleaning/degreasing dunk tank out of it! I'm glad he never got around to that project!

Steve

Woodsrover
01-20-2021, 05:56 AM
Woodsrover- ..... Just curious, was that one listed on Craigslist, maybe under the Binghamton, NY listing a couple of weeks ago?
Steve

I found it on Facebook Marketplace but probably the same tank. Was up in Mt. Vision NY at a tumbledown farm that quit shipping milk this fall. Tank was working and making ice when I got there. Had to cut a hole in the side of the milkhouse and lift it over a 12" ledge to get it out. Good times!

Pretty depressed area up there...Makes me thankful for where I live.

DrTimPerkins
01-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Had to cut a hole in the side of the milkhouse and lift it over a 12" ledge to get it out. Good times!

That's about the time when a few minutes thinking and planning will save a good amount of time and effort manhandling it around.

Woodsrover
01-20-2021, 09:38 AM
That's about the time when a few minutes thinking and planning will save a good amount of time and effort manhandling it around.

It really wasn't that bad. A strap around two legs and three of us lifted it fairly easily and brought it up and over the ledge. All said and done we had it cut loose, out of the building and loaded in an hour. They're not as heavy as one would think.

The guy who owned the farm started talking as soon as I got there and was still talking when I pulled away. Guess he doesn't get much company on the farm! :lol:

Mille705
01-20-2021, 11:25 AM
Did you get the cooling compressor with it too?

Woodsrover
01-20-2021, 01:23 PM
Did you get the cooling compressor with it too?

Yes, I did. It's probably from the 80s and was running when I got there so everything works.

That said, I'm toying with the idea of updating the condensing unit to a newer mini-split condenser. They're happy to be outside, more efficient and should be trouble-free for a number of years. I have a call into a local agricultural/commercial refrigeration guy. Interested to hear his thoughts on it....

Bucket Head
01-20-2021, 11:10 PM
Good to see you got it. I saw the ad and told my father, "I hope a syrup maker see's that ad!". I had to do a few crazy things to retrieve some of mine, but overall they all went well.

And yeah, sadly, there are a lot of depressed area's in this state that at one time were thriving towns. We were called the Empire State for a reason, but it's in name only now...

Good luck with the tank!

antelope76
01-21-2021, 07:52 AM
I've got one for sale in Deposit, NY. I had it in the classifieds on here a few years ago. I'll try and re-post it.
It's a 525 gallon round bottom, excellent condition similar to the one in this post. Looking to get $900 for it.

Kh7722
01-21-2021, 08:37 AM
I've got one for sale in Deposit, NY. I had it in the classifieds on here a few years ago. I'll try and re-post it.
It's a 600 gallon round bottom, excellent condition similar to the one in this post. Looking to get $900 for it.

Is it insulated and and cooler work?

antelope76
01-21-2021, 10:00 AM
It's insulated, not sure if the cooler still work, It is all intact still, the farmer I bought it off of used it for dairy up until around 2001 or so and it worked back then. it has been sitting there since. I'll post some pictures I have of it tonight when I get home.
It is larger than I can use for my setup. Looking for a stainless tank in the 200-300 gallon range.

Kh7722
01-21-2021, 10:44 AM
It's insulated, not sure if the cooler still work, It is all intact still, the farmer I bought it off of used it for dairy up until around 2001 or so and it worked back then. it has been sitting there since. I'll post some pictures I have of it tonight when I get home.

It is larger than I can use for my setup. Looking for a stainless tank in the 200-300 gallon range.

Sent PM

Thanks

maple flats
01-21-2021, 07:33 PM
I might have been luckier still. I was given a tank for 4 half gallons of syrup. The compressor is still to be collected for 4 more HG. I say "might have been luckier" because the tank and compressor were in working order about 35 yrs ago, when the farmer sold his cows. No guaranties however, it was just a dice roll, I'll be 4 gal into it plus what it costs to test it, then to get it operational.

Woodsrover
01-22-2021, 05:35 AM
Even if the condenser needs replacing its still a good deal! Congrats!