PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the itch?

RollinsOrchards
01-15-2021, 02:50 PM
Today was such a beautiful day I really feel the maple itch.

My brain tells me it is too early, but the warmth of the sun and the warm air pouring in ahead of the rain tomorrow was hard to resist.

Soon.

Pdiamond
01-15-2021, 09:09 PM
Better put some neosporin on the itch, we still have awhile yet to go partner.

BROWN71
01-16-2021, 05:33 AM
Don't do it... It's a trap. I fell for the January thaw last year. I'm with you... this past week has been ideal. Weatherunderground.com has a great graph in their 10 forecast and a great monthly calendar that can be specific to your town. Looking back through the historical weather trends I'm looking at tapping in on Valentine's day.

West Sumner Sugar
01-16-2021, 10:39 AM
I think we are all itching to get the first sap of the season but hold on a little longer. I usually tap in Lewiston around the 14th then Sumner the week after depending on temperature. Having 2 locations 40 miles apart really helps extend our season

abbott
02-24-2021, 04:30 PM
I'll be tapping starting tomorrow. Takes me about 2 full days. Some years I might have tapped to see what I could get yesterday and today, but there were too many things going on and I wasn't sure it would run much yet anyway. Who's all tapped? How'd the sap run for you?

CanterburyMaple
02-25-2021, 01:28 PM
I just tapped in all my trees (reds) over the past week. Sap is dripping, but I imagine with the mild temps this week (in southern maine at least), the trees are thawing and I'm hoping for some good action this weekend given the forecast. Next week's forecast is also looking ideal with 20's overnight and 40 during the day. I am excited/anxious to see how the sap starts flowing; I tapped a lot more trees than last year and hope I can handle it all... Here we go...!

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-26-2021, 04:25 PM
All tapped in. Set up totes tomorrow and shurflos on Sunday. A little plumbing to do in the shack and ready to go.

eagle lake sugar
02-26-2021, 07:03 PM
I've tapped about 3300 so far and have another 1150 to go, I'll probable finish up Sunday. I had a little drip from one tree, but that's it. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be close to 40 degrees here, I wouldn't be surprised to see a little sap.

maineboiler
02-27-2021, 11:29 AM
I started tapping on 2/24, sugar maples on top lines. Just a little flow initially but it picked up on Friday. I’ll be tapping the reds in the woods next week. Looking good for a run next week

Rodger
02-27-2021, 06:06 PM
Just finished tapping 150. Hope for another 50 tomorrow. Installed shurflo this morning, not an ideal day for sap running. Tomorrow is another day. Hope to boil next weekend.

abbott
02-28-2021, 01:24 PM
Finished tapping yesterday morning, then ran a new 3/16 line in the afternoon to bring this year's tap count to 950 or so. I think 1000 could be had if I spent some time corralling the last few trees, but probably not happening this year. Just finished chasing down vacuum leaks while I let the gunky stuff run on the ground, then closed the valve. Coming in at about 50 gallons/hr. Depending on whether we freeze up tonight, tomorrow might be the first boil.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-28-2021, 04:56 PM
Pumps are and we are collecting. Find out tomorrow afternoon if we have enough to fire up.

donka
02-28-2021, 05:12 PM
300 taps in at the farm and a couple dozen around the house to keep the kids busy. We upped the 3/16 lines to 150 taps so collecting should go a bit quicker this year. My oldest (15) did all the boiling at home last year while on quarantine and made around 7 gallons. I let him keep all proceeds and it seemed to do the trick. He was super fired up to tap today and is rearing to go. Everything was running well this afternoon even on the north sides of our trees.

abbott
03-01-2021, 07:24 PM
About 1.5 gal sap/tap between the last two days. Boiled today and will again tomorrow. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have wouldn't have tapped yet. Looks like a cold spell coming up and the sap isn't very sweet yet.

twitch
03-02-2021, 05:30 AM
I have not drilled a hole yet do to family ski trip we had planned last weekend. I was feeling behind now I'm feeling good I think it will all work out. Your comment that you wouldn't have tapped yet brightened my day. Definitely looks like not much is going to happen for week or so. when it starts back up hopefully the sugar is up a little.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-02-2021, 05:39 AM
We didn't get enough to boil, trees still mostly froze up so we dumped the totes last night. Looks like a week out for sap again. OK by me, going fishing Thursday-Monday :cool: We'll have everything ready when its time to go.

West Sumner Sugar
03-02-2021, 07:05 AM
We are about 60% there right now. About 200 taps drilled in Sumner and all 80 in Lewiston. Still need to change about 100 drop lines and taps which will get done this weekend. Also need to wash out our head tanks, run water in the new evaporator, set up the new autodraw and do a dry run. Lots of little loose ends to get buttoned up but this freeze up will give us a little more time which will help.

craigwade2005
03-02-2021, 03:44 PM
Felt like I was a little behind, but looking at the rest of the week probably won't get anything until the 7th. Probably good timing since my pump gave up and who knows where Fed Ex has my replacement.