PDA

View Full Version : Leader Vermont Special

MyDeereMaple
12-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I got my first taste of sugaring about 25 years ago when I was about 11 or 12years old. My dad was a boiler maker and we used a well made barrel stove to boil on. Last winter, I thought I'd pull the old unit out of the heap pile and give sugaring another try. With a little help from family we produced a few gallons of syrup from about 25 taps for only our consumption. The sweet aroma and rewarding taste made me wonder why I waited 25 years to give it another go. It probably had something to do with all the work.

Well it won't be another 25 years. With the hopes of avoiding the 3 day continuous boil downs in the future, I was able to acquire a used leader Vermont Special (I beleive a 2x4) this past summer. I am looking for any tips that can be offered on using this evaporator. Since I don't have a sugar house (yet) I built a frame for the unit so I can pick the unit up with my tractor forks and move it out of my barn to operate. I should be able to set up the automatic feed. I am assuming to get started I fill all compartments in the pans with sap. Won't the back compartments (drop sections) boil quicker than what I start off with in the front pan? If anyone can walk me through the process I'd apprecaite it. Hope to learn and tap more. Oh yeah, I also bought some more property for the mature maples that were on it. As seems to be the case with alot of the postings I've read on this site, I'm looking to increase this years yields. Thanks in advance.

royalmaple
12-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner and run wild with it. There's 500x more info on here than the normal everyday talk. Just about any instance has been gone over in detail by many people on here already so you can go right along and learn at your pace.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
like royalmaple said just start reading then ask if you dont understand something, and welcome back to sugaring

RICH

cropseyvillemark
12-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Mydeeremaple, We boiled on one of those rigs untill 2 years ago.Then sold it to "SoftMaple" over in Springfield MASS. I think I'm just up the road from you. Feel free to shoot me a pm,or if you're ever in Brunswick stop at the Agway store......Mark

Sugarmaker
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
MyDeereMaple,
Welcome. You found a place that will help you get back into this hobby.
They helped convert me from buckets to tubing this year and I feel like I am starting over too:)

Chris

super sappy
12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I have a copy of the owners manual on setting up and boiling with this rig. pm your adress and I ll drop it in the mail. -Super Sappy