PDA

View Full Version : Replacing RO membrane

Gavin W. Hooks
01-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Hello,

I have been on a hiatus for 4 years now due to a variety of reasons. I am hoping to get back in this year. I am getting everything cleaned and prepped. Working on my RO now. Putting in new membrane. Any and all tips or hacks to getting the cap off the top of my Deer Run 125 that hasn't been touched in 4 years?

Again, Glad to be back and thanks in advance.

GW

minehart gap
01-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Call Ray. If anyone would be able to help, it's him
(440) 422-3047. Let it ring, it will eventually get to his answering machine

Gavin W. Hooks
01-06-2021, 11:24 PM
I got through and yes, he was very helpful. Got it switched out. Thanks for the response.

maple flats
01-21-2021, 09:43 AM
Gavin, what did Ray say to do once you put the new membrane in? Was it like how the manual says to do for a new membrane, or was it like starting for the first use of the season? The 2 are not identical.
Maybe others can help. I bought 2 new MES membranes because I detected last summer that the old ones were passing sugar based on what the contents of the fully enclosed permeate tank looked like 6 weeks after the season. Had a fair amount of funky growth in the water, which had never happened in earlier years and I always save my permeate to mix the spray for my blueberries.
I'm now getting ready to swap out to the MES membranes. What then? Originally I thought I'd just pull the old (which were fully cleaned, soap washed, acid washed, fully rinsed then preservative {Leader} brand and stored until now), I figured on just swapping to the MES, top off the vessels with distilled water and do a full wash just before I go to run the RO. Then I wondered if maybe I should do a full soap , acid wash, full rinse now then let it set until needed in my heated room. Looking at the forecast I might get some sap around Feb 6 at the earliest, maybe even a week or 2 later. What is the proper method.
I know how to do it from year to year to re-start, but is it the same when the housings have preservative in them and you change to new membranes?
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Gavin W. Hooks
02-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Sorry for the delay. Ray did not say but I just did the "new RO start up" flush and started running sap. So far so good.