PDA

View Full Version : Improved vacuum gauge

Beerclouds
01-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Does anyone remember who posted awhile back about revamping a vacuum gauge setup so it reduced the chance of sap entering the gauge and destroying it...any help would be appreciated...thx

BoerBoel
01-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Is this the thread you were talking about?
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?33007-Vacuum-gauge&highlight=vacuum+gauge+sap+entering

Biz
01-06-2021, 10:15 AM
I used this odd looking baffle setup last season to try and prevent gauges from self destructing, and all gauges survived the season so either it was a coincidence or the baffle worked. Every year except last year I had lost half the gauges. I am going to use this again this season. The idea is to add volume as well as baffling (the elbow) in case there is a sudden loss in vacuum which allows sap to spray back into the gauge and possibly ruin it.

Beerclouds
01-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Thx biz..this is exactly the pic i was searching for.....

DrTimPerkins
01-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Most dry gauge failures are due to liquid on "wet" side of the gauge freezing and the ice damaging the membrane. After that, water will get in.

You could put a loop of tubing with/without a CV spout to reduce liquid moving into the gauge. There are also special filters that will let air pass but not liquid.