PDA

View Full Version : Sap pump - discharge hose sizing

BoerBoel
01-04-2021, 11:57 AM
This will be my first year tapping using tubing. I will have approx. 150 taps - a mixture of 5/16 and 3/16 taps (I can make use of gravity vacuum for some of the taps). They will drain into 2 separate IBC totes approx. 150 ft. apart from each other. Unfortunately, these totes are at the bottom of a hill and I will need to pump the sap from 1 tote to another (across level ground) and then uphill to a 3rd tote in the truck. This pumping will be about 40 ft. in elevation over 150 ft. distance.

I have been looking at the Honda WX15 pump. I will be using it at each tote in the bush and then again when I get home with the sap, so portability is nice. Adds to the cost but seems to be worth it.

My question is...Would using a 1.25 in. discharge hose cause any issues (and still using 1.5 in. intake hose) ?

The reason why I'm thinking of using a smaller diameter hose than the normal 1.5 in. discharge hose is 2 fold. 1) because of the remaining sap in the hose when I'm done pumping and 2) the cost of the hose. By limiting the diameter of the hose to 1.25 in. from 1.5 in., it would reduce the amount of sap left in the hose to 9.5 gal. from 13.7 gal....less for me to drain from the hose and carry up the hill in buckets. And the cost of the 1.25 in. hose seem to be less than the 1.5 in. hose (about 2/3 the cost).

I was thinking of using a 1.25 mainline tube as it seems to be the cheapest option. The usual layflat discharge hose is about double the cost.

Any input appreciated.

jetdoc
01-09-2021, 04:45 PM
We us a harbor freight 1" pump. We pump 1200' and a elevation of 60' using a 1 1/2" line. it takes us about 15 to 20 min to pump out 400 gallons of sap.

BoerBoel
01-09-2021, 05:19 PM
We us a harbor freight 1" pump. We pump 1200' and a elevation of 60' using a 1 1/2" line. it takes us about 15 to 20 min to pump out 400 gallons of sap.
So you're using a larger hose than the pumps discharge port. What about using a smaller hose than the discharge port? My pump is 1.5 inches. I was thi thinking of using a 1.25 inch hose but not sure if it would be too restrictive.

TapTapTap
01-10-2021, 06:46 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work with 1 1/4 discharge. It sounds like a lot of pump setup. How are you moving the pump around?

BoerBoel
01-10-2021, 09:37 AM
I'll be carrying the pump around by hand. The Hinda WX15 weights approximately 20 lbs. I will be using it in the bush to pump sap to the truck and then to empty the truck back st my shack 15 min drive away.

Father & Son
01-10-2021, 12:43 PM
I’ve used 2 1” gas operated pumps for years.
One is a Tanaka and one is similar to the link below.

https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Generac-6917-Water-Pump/p70908.html?preferred_placement=1

Both have worked great.

maple flats
01-10-2021, 03:15 PM
The WX15 is a 1.5" pump. With a 1.5" suction and discharge you will get what the pump specs say you will get, if you reduce the discharge to 1.25 you will get less flow, but will still get good flow. It will not hurt the pump at all. In fact, a 1.5 suction and a 1.25 discharge will give you more than if you had both suction and discharge the 1.25".
All you do when you change the pipe diameters is alter the line friction. If you use 1.5" on both you will use slightly less fuel than if you reduce discharge to 1.25, but it will not be much different.
One thing is for sure, the 1.25" hose will be easier to handle and cheaper to buy.
I used the same pump for years back when I was hauling sap from remote bushes. It worked very well. A very dependable pump. Just be certain to drain the pump housing when done or the pump might need a new housing. I have no idea how much they cost, but the time to get one might be an issue.

BoerBoel
01-10-2021, 05:16 PM
I will be using the 1.5" suction. Because of the distance I need to pump the sap, I was thinking of the 1.25" discharge to reduce the cost. Glad to hear my plan won't cause any problems other than slightly less pumping volume. Any idea on how much less (percentage)?

maple flats
01-11-2021, 10:28 AM
For that answer you would need lots of specific answers. I.D., actual lift, exact distance, exact RPM of the engine, how many if any connections and maybe more. That pump specs at 74 GPM @ zero head, (no lift, no line friction) If you go to 20' head (combined lift and line friction) it drops to about 66 gpm. At 40' head (again combined lift plus line friction) it falls to about 57 gpm. At 60' head (lift+friction) about 48 gpm and 80' head, about 38 gpm. I don't have the exact lift nor line friction numbers, so that's about what you could plan. The type of hose you use will matter too, smooth inside like black pipe or maple mainline, less friction, rippled inner wall like a corrugated type, much greater friction. A hose like SPIRALITE 170 FOOD HANDLING HOSE available at ECI, (Eastern Crown Inc.) is more flexible in the cold and lighter to handle has spirals on the outside, but is smooth inside. It comes in many sizes, including 1.25" ID.

collinsmapleman2012
01-12-2021, 07:33 AM
should work fine. my small woods i use a 1" mainline because it was all i had at the time, on a 2" pump, just run the pump closer to idle. doesn't take very long to get 300 gallons out. about 200 ft with a 20 ft rise, and a 2" intake. think i can do it in 10 mins or so, gives me time to check lines, etc while it's pumping. i wouldn't hesitate to use the 1.25 inch.

VT_K9
01-13-2021, 11:44 PM
Go to the Honda website and use their pump select feature. We have a WH15 with 1.5 suction and discharge. I would match or go bigger on the suction. On the discharge you are looking more at friction loss if running over a great distance and once you reach 1" or larger the friction loss is greatly reduced. The other advantage for you with 1.25 is less sap left in the pump line when finished, which you have figured out already. We tried the lay flat discharge and it did not work well as it kinked easily for the area we are using it in. I like the green corrugated type pipe at the maple dealer (don't recall the true name). It stays flexible over time. We get about 25 gallons a minute with a 800' run and 65' rise on our 1.5" pipe and the WH15.

Mike