PDA

View Full Version : North East Ohio 2021

johnallin
01-04-2021, 09:26 AM
It's that time of year and Kevin's post was enough to get a new NE Ohio Thread off the ground - Thank you Kevin - Good Bye to the worst year ever and Hello to 2021...Let 'er Rip

Hey All,

Figured id get this discussion started again since Sugar season is upon us.
We are just about ready for the season here, usually try to be done by Christmas and we are there. A few small RO things to plumb in and we are ready to rip.
We added a few hundred taps which will put us at 1000. Trying to finish up a woods for another farm I was hired to install.
Made the decision that since we missed a huge early run last year that we are going to tap early probably around mid January, a month before usual but i woild rather make good syrup early then low grade bulk late.
Whats everyone else up to?, changes?

I've been replacing 3 year old T's on the 3/16 lines in the back woods and have an H20 Modulated Auto Draw Off with Even Flow automatic valve controller (same as Kevin's) on order from Grossman Bros.
Last year, number 2 with the CDL Hobby RO, I found myself scrambling to tend to draws and keeping up with firing. This should be a big improvement.
Never did anything with injecting air into my sap tank, to add to flavor... but I may do that this year.

heus
01-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Adding about 160 taps on gravity tubing to my 100 or so buckets.
Replaced my 12" cdl vac filter for an 18" one.
Got a new NextGen 100HPRO reverse osmosis machine.

johnallin
01-05-2021, 06:44 AM
Adding about 160 taps on gravity tubing to my 100 or so buckets.

Look out. You'll be back up to 1000 taps before you know it <grin>

fred
01-05-2021, 09:13 AM
im moving to the keys and retiring as after a few years of making syrup, have become independently wealthy.

bprifle01
01-05-2021, 02:49 PM
Making syrup??? Who are you trying to kid?

heus
01-05-2021, 06:55 PM
Look out. You'll be back up to 1000 taps before you know it <grin>
:lol: Stranger things have happened John

DrTimPerkins
01-05-2021, 07:58 PM
im moving to the keys and retiring as after a few years of making syrup, have become independently wealthy.

You must have listened real well when I was in Ohio a few years back Fred. :lol:

johnallin
01-05-2021, 08:21 PM
:lol: Stranger things have happened John

No doubts from me...go for it, it's what yo do best!
I give you -1 year max- before you're back up to 1000.

johnallin
01-05-2021, 08:29 PM
You must have listened real well when I was in Ohio a few years back Fred. :lol:

Not too sure about that, this is the guy that can't see the benefits of a Clear Press...just might be suffering from lack of sunshine? <big grin>

Kh7722
01-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Looks like we are finally going to start to get winter and get a good freeze at least for a few weeks. After that it will put us very close to go time.

johnallin
01-08-2021, 01:57 PM
My H20 Innovations Even Flo Barometrically Controlled Proportional Auto Draw Off arrived this week...say that 10 times real fast!

Looking forward to not needing four arms (2 for firing and 2 for drawing off) in the sugar house.

Kh7722
01-08-2021, 08:11 PM
My H20 Innovations Even Flo Barometrically Controlled Proportional Auto Draw Off arrived this week...say that 10 times real fast!

Looking forward to not needing four arms (2 for firing and 2 for drawing off) in the sugar house.

Glad it came in, you’re going to love it. Its super easy to use and reprogram for smaller evaporators. Its a purchase you wont regret.
Another is that i will have a filter press for sale at the end of season if you are interested in upgrading from that clear one 
Kevin

johnallin
01-09-2021, 12:03 PM
Glad it came in, you’re going to love it. Its super easy to use and reprogram for smaller evaporators. Its a purchase you wont regret.
Another is that i will have a filter press for sale at the end of season if you are interested in upgrading from that clear one 
Kevin

Appreciate it, but there is no upgrade for a clear press...<huge grin>

fred
01-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Kevin

:) :) :) :)

johnallin
01-13-2021, 04:11 PM
Kevin

Appreciate it, but there is no upgrade for a clear press...<huge grin>

:) :) :) :)

Awesome!...it's about time you begin to see the light Fred...and look at all the little smiley faces! Who would'a thunk.
Sap better start up soon...natives are getting restless.

johnallin
01-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Another Saturday cutting and splitting wood, 4 out of 5 rows up so far, but I’m behind where I should be for this time of year.
Hope to finish up wood tomorrow.

johnallin
01-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Moving into February...I'm ready to go, but not sure if it's going to open up as early this year as it did last year.
The deep freeze that was forecast 2 weeks ago never really came about. What's everyone else thinking?

Kh7722
01-27-2021, 09:25 PM
Fred thinks its late this year
:lol:
Probably going to tap a week from now, watching the weather but will be tapped by feb 7 for sure

Crooked Cellars Farm
01-28-2021, 07:49 AM
I had planned to tap this weekend, 400+ taps on tubing, and let the first run go on the ground. But now it's not looking too good for any runs. Maybe a couple days late next week but then it looks to be cold again. I may tap some this weekend, but I don't want to miss any later season runs by tapping too soon.

fred
01-28-2021, 08:41 PM
all of you crazy Canucks are jumping the gun don't cause such a kerfuffle. come on down to the Federation of Kirtland Hills and have an ole Silver Spray, kick back and relax on the chesterfield by the Bullerjan. its going to come fast enough don't rush it eh!!

johnallin
01-29-2021, 06:13 AM
all of you crazy Canucks are jumping the gun don't cause such a kerfuffle. come on down to the Federation of Kirtland Hills and have an ole Silver Spray, kick back and relax on the chesterfield by the Bullerjan. its going to come fast enough don't rush it eh!!

Right on! It's all good over here at the Federation.
Just watching "The Red Green" show and learning how to make a toilet bowl carburetor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=G7nRRykiOGc,
Pass the butter tarts and another cold steam whistle please - they're out on the veranda. Thanks

heus
01-29-2021, 06:33 AM
John, you and Fred are speaking in "Lake County." This Ashtabula County guy can't understand you :lol:

johnallin
01-30-2021, 09:18 AM
Heus... apologies but it's really all Fred's fault, he started it!

<all of you crazy Canucks are jumping the gun don't cause such a kerfuffle. come on down to the Federation of Kirtland Hills and have an ole Silver Spray, kick back and relax on the chesterfield by the Bullerjan. its going to come fast enough don't rush it eh!!>

Translation...don't cause a fuss, come on over grab a cold beer we'll kick back on the couch by the wood stove.

heus
01-30-2021, 09:34 AM
:lol: :lol:

maple flats
01-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Can you say that in English most americans can understand?

fred
01-30-2021, 08:50 PM
John said it best. He has canadian blood, gotta rib him when i can. :)

DrTimPerkins
01-31-2021, 11:53 AM
John said it best. He has canadian blood, gotta rib him when i can. :)

That explains a lot. :lol:

johnallin
01-31-2021, 04:29 PM
That explains a lot. :lol:

so Clear Presses are OK then eh? <grin>

fred
01-31-2021, 08:11 PM
so Clear Presses are OK then eh? <grin>

only for you , because the customer is ALWAYS right

johnallin
02-01-2021, 06:10 AM
only for you , because the customer is ALWAYS right

OK now back to our regular program....:cool:

Looks like we're in the freezer the next two weeks..I tapped last year on Feb 1.

This year is definitely looks to be later than last. Anyone get started yet?

Sugarmaker
02-01-2021, 06:22 AM
John,
Just across the line. The report from NW PA today is cold. Not worried about tapping till next warm up with several days to a week of above 40's. Not seeing that till Father and Sons (Jim's) birthday, if you can believe Accuweather?
Regards,
Chris

Kh7722
02-01-2021, 08:20 AM
Ya looks like it will be a couple weeks. Definitely want to tap before the warm up and drill frozen. Time will tell
Kevin

johnallin
02-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Chris and Kevin, by the looks of the extended forecast we're going to be Cold for two weeks solid.
Even week 3 looks like not enough to thaw the trees out! Good for tapping maybe but not much for sap runs.

Don't know about you guys but I'm about done with the past 10 months with Covid, Politics and short days with no sunshine...and looking forward to doing some fun "stuff".

johnallin
02-08-2021, 07:33 PM
With no tapping yet over here yet been working on sugar house stuff, setting up a new proportional draw-off, changing oil and filters on the vac pump-running out of things to do!

Had the snow machine up in the woods yesterday checking lines and removing some fallen limbs etc.
Really ideal conditions with frozen ground and only 4-5" of snow, so no "tipsy turvey" stuff - I enjoyed it.

Any one thinking of tapping this week?

heus
02-09-2021, 06:20 AM
No sap weather in sight according to my weather.com forecast for Andover, Ohio. At least until the 22nd or 23rd of Feb. (high of 32/33). John I couldn't read yours it's too small.

johnallin
02-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Jason - All of a sudden...the Saturday after next, is looking good with lots of sun and warmer temps...I want to get going already!

heus
02-10-2021, 06:29 AM
I will probably tap next week and wait. In my woods it will take a few days of mid to high 30s for my trees to even start running after this nice long cold spell.

heus
02-14-2021, 07:43 AM
Today the 14th is the traditional tapping date for NE Ohio. I think we have gotten so used to January runs the last few tears that everyone thinks this season is starting so late. In reality, I think it will only be starting 1-2 weeks late and hopefully a gradual return to spring.

johnallin
02-14-2021, 09:01 AM
Sure don't want to see another 2012...went from the freezer to the fire in 2 weeks. March started in mid 30's by second week we were in the 80's and it was lights out.

Sugarmaker
02-14-2021, 11:57 AM
John,
Riding the couch after lunch, thought I better check on you guys so I dont miss anything important!
Weather/ Well still cold and we will need to put together three of those 38 degree days to thaw out a sunny woods.
Made 20 maple candies for a online order today. Trying to get better at the very small batches. Using the Mosier/ Bortles method! Used some nice ambe r Rich and the candy has a very slight crust then just melts in your mouth!
Looking forward to you guys sending a little heat our way.
Oh sure I should be working in the sugarbush and or the sugarhouse. Procrastinating very well this year! Would like to get tapped and started by March 1 if possible. Still lots of those pesky getting ready moves to make over here across the line!
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
02-14-2021, 04:46 PM
Chris, you “oil” guys have all the time in the world <grin> Ha ha
Split more wood today and think I’m about where I want to be now. Then went on to replacing 1 1/2” feed line from head tank to cold sap box, it was funky looking and I had the parts so went ahead and replaced it. Da&m, on this day last year it was almost 40F here and I was letting sap run to ground to clear out my lines.
Will gladly send any warm weather we get, to you, over the state line... as long as I can have use of it for a day or two. Another <grin>

Sugarmaker
02-14-2021, 08:16 PM
John, Folks,
There are a few of us using oil. I did, but that was 50 years ago. I have 5 cord of seasoned red oak stacked in the sugarhouse wood shed since last spring. Looking forward to see how those PA/OH Stateline slabs make syrup! You should be able to look to the east from your place and see the glow of the stack!:) If we ever make syrup in 2021?
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
02-15-2021, 06:05 AM
5 cords will make lots of syrup!

woodburner
02-15-2021, 10:22 AM
Getting ready here in South Madison, moving equipment and setting up sugarhouse and pump station. Looks like we will be tapping on over a foot of snow, already have 6” of hard pack that has been on for a long time now. Always get the itch after the 14th. Let’s hope we get enough warmth to get some sap next week.

christopherh
02-15-2021, 10:07 PM
I’m ready to go, just waiting for the thaw! I was surprised how well the 6x4 gator did in the snow, thought I’d have to break out the sled.

johnallin
02-16-2021, 06:33 AM
Chris, gators are amazing machines...Ive got a 6' plow on mine - made by JD for the gator.
Heading out now, before work, to plow the foot of snow we got last night from the two drives.

Plan on tapping this Sunday, by the way.

Kh7722
02-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Started tapping tonight, got about 125 in. Planning on finishing up this weekend.

kjc
02-19-2021, 02:55 AM
plan on tapping this weekend.
lets get this season rolling, been chomping at the bit too long!

johnallin
02-19-2021, 09:13 AM
This weekend looks good enough for me in the Federation of Kirtland Hills..:cool:

fred
02-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Going to be a slow flow warm up. But better to be prepared.

heus
02-21-2021, 06:44 AM
Got about half of my taps in yesterday. Was going to finish this morning but its 3 degrees out right now so I guess I will wait.

Pete Cerup
02-21-2021, 03:35 PM
Decided to tap today with all the sun. 225 taps here in Concord Twp. Sugar house needs some work now, but I'm ready to go!

johnallin
02-21-2021, 04:08 PM
About 100 out of 170 tapped in the back woods this afternoon, but still have to finish that and the 150 or so in north and front woods. Had to get in with the Tundra as snow is 18”+ up there. Haven’t had a start like this for a long time.
Kids all here yesterday. We pulled pans off the evaprator and gave the bottoms a long needed cleaning, they were really caked up with soot, then everyone took turns running the Tundra up and around the woods. Snow is amazing these past two weekends.
RO is ready and for the most part, sugar house is all in order. Had 4 boils in by this time last year.

MapleCreekFarm
02-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Well, I just drilled the last 70 taps this morning. I had put most of them in the end of January but didn't have this patch ready till the cold hit and then there was no point. Looks like Wednesday s should run like crazy around here. 49*and partly sunny with today and tomorrow being above freezing to get the trees all primed.

Kh7722
02-23-2021, 08:42 PM
All tapped in, leaks fixed and running about 27.5-28” very happy with that for not much woods work yet. We are collecting and first boil will be soon!

johnallin
02-24-2021, 06:14 AM
Kevin - Did you get that new woods all setup and tapped?

Kh7722
02-24-2021, 08:13 AM
Kevin - Did you get that new woods all setup and tapped?

Absolutely, so far so good!

miboss
02-24-2021, 08:48 PM
tapped my 515 taps today. Running pretty well, should be boiling Sunday or Monday. I don't foresee any sap tomorrow.

heus
02-27-2021, 07:06 AM
Decent run on gravity tubing. Got about 1 gallon per tap overnight.

johnallin
02-27-2021, 07:47 AM
Jason, what's sugar content? I'm planning to be ready to boil this week

heus
02-27-2021, 08:34 AM
John I have not tested it yet. Looks like I will have enough to run my new RO for the first time and boil tonight.
EDIT: 1.9-2% High for my woods. Slowed down a little though.

woodburner
02-27-2021, 02:48 PM
SAP AT 2.4 on the first run, not the lightest we have made on a first run,but the taste is very creamy. I think I will keep some of this for me and my friends. Hope everyone has had a good start. Don’t like that 50+ forSun. Next week looks good for a cold run.

christopherh
02-27-2021, 09:05 PM
Sap was at 2.1 over here. Up a little bit from the earlier in the week.

johnallin
02-28-2021, 07:28 PM
Did a good rinse and got the CDL hobby RO all dialed in yesterday then finished tapping the back woods, sap was running pretty good. Today was spent cleaning tanks, installing the new H20 auto-draw, running a new feed line from head tank to flue pan and giving the sugar house a good cleaning and hose-down.

Would have got more done but the drain plug I have for the big sap tank was jammed into the drain so far that I broke it off the 4' stainless pipe it's on. Ended up having to turn the tank over, remove the 2 valves and knock it out from below. 1 1/2 hours later all was put back together.

Easy fix though as it's just a stainless bolt welded onto the end of the pipe. Lesson learned....if it gets stuck again, turn the tank over - do not keep pulling on it!

Got the vac up to 25 and should get higher as I'm sure there are taps not seated in their cups in the two other woods. Hope to skip out early tomorrow and finish tapping. Looks like we may get a boil in mid-week over here.

heus
02-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Almost no sap today from my gravity tubing trees, that gave me almost 2 gallons per tap Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon. I thought for sure they would run today. Drilled 75 new taps today, on a 4008 Shurflo, and as expected sap ran pretty good (although only 14" of vac. I need to chase some leaks I guess). First boil was last night after running through my new NGMP RO.

miboss
03-01-2021, 06:02 AM
SAP AT 2.4 on the first run, not the lightest we have made on a first run,but the taste is very creamy. I think I will keep some of this for me and my friends. Hope everyone has had a good start. Don’t like that 50+ forSun. Next week looks good for a cold run.

My first batch this year also tasted creamy.

Hunt4sap
03-01-2021, 08:05 AM
Also a "creamy" flavor over here in atwater area...
Small batch made Sunday but some really unique flavor syrup!

CrossBroMaple
03-01-2021, 07:28 PM
Up and running here, first sap on Friday/Saturday was 1.8% and still holding that today.

Ekrueger
03-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Had a good first week here, about 1300 gallons of sap at 2.1-2.2% from close to 300 taps. First run was only 1.4% which was a little strange. The syrup on the edge of light/amber. I love to see all of the water being pulled out by the RO I built, thanks to this forum!

Sugarmaker
03-02-2021, 10:35 AM
Folks,
Across the line we rest and work on cleaning up the aftermath. Was a good couple of days. Visited three sugarhouses yesterday. Did make some PA syrup too.
You guys are doing great!
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
03-02-2021, 07:33 PM
March 2nd and no boil yet at the "Federation of Kirtland Hills":mad:...Got about 80 taps in the north woods area tonight and still have about 40-50 to go over there, plus another 30 or so by the sugar house.
Sitting at about 250 tapped and ready as of tonight and hope to get the remainder in tomorrow.

Shut the vac off Sunday night anticipating the cold we had coming - wanted to turn it on tonight but the releaser had just enough water around the pump to freeze it up. A bucket of hot water and 10 minutes holding the heat gun on it, in the dark, didn't thaw it out so I'll catch that in the morning before work.

Don't know why, but this year seems like it's taking forever to get everything all setup and dialed in - too cold for too long maybe.

fred
03-02-2021, 07:58 PM
yes thanks to al gore we are back to a normal winter :)

heus
03-03-2021, 06:23 AM
Hope the forecast changes for my zip code. Good sap day today then 3-4 days in a row below freezing. After that, several days in a row without freezing temps and close to 60 degrees. Fortunately the forecast changes by the minute. Have boiled twice. Last run was maybe my highest sugar content ever at 2.3-2.4%

johnallin
03-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Played a bit of hooky this am...son told me to stay home as he had everything under control.

Now have all but one area tapped (at 270) and got vac up and running, sap's at 2% and running like a freight train - vacuum holding at 26".
Going to try beat the cold freeze up coming for the next 4 days. What a beautiful morning we had up here - Wow!

22098 22099 22100 22101

Game on! Let er Rip.

fred
03-03-2021, 06:32 PM
sap's at 2% and running like a freight train - vacuum holding at 26".

that CDL Equipment is amazing. ehh

johnallin
03-03-2021, 06:42 PM
Sure is. Now maybe CDL can take over the Clear Press market should Leader bow out.
That would ice the puck. Grin

johnallin
03-07-2021, 08:16 PM
OK so who's going to be boiling tomorrow besides me? Finally the stars are all lined up, which is good since after 3 weekends preparing and waiting - there's absolutely nothing left to do to get ready.

Kh7722
03-08-2021, 05:14 AM
OK so who's going to be boiling tomorrow besides me? Finally the stars are all lined up, which is good since after 3 weekends preparing and waiting - there's absolutely nothing left to do to get ready.

Hey John,

We probably wont boil until Tuesday. I woke up this morning (monday) and the woods monitor said it is 14 degrees. Although the air temp might go up fast, thinking trees wont start running till afternoon. Which is ok, because i need to clean up after the maple tour weekend we just had.
Good luck
Kevin

Sugarmaker
03-08-2021, 06:27 AM
Cold across the line, maybe have some sap to gather tomorrow??
Keep up the good work!
Lots to do for the NWPA maple Taste and Tour! How did the Ohio tour go for the first weekend??
Nice pictures John!
Regards,
Chris

Kh7722
03-08-2021, 06:51 AM
Cold across the line, maybe have some sap to gather tomorrow??
Keep up the good work!
Lots to do for the NWPA maple Taste and Tour! How did the Ohio tour go for the first weekend??
Nice pictures John!
Regards,
Chris

Ohio cleaned up this weekend for the tour! The promotion game was strong by all involved. Lots of people from PA and all over the state of ohio came out to visit. We had about 200 maybe a little more Saturday and about 100 on sunday. Best of luck to you and the state of PA this weekend
Kevin

fred
03-08-2021, 06:30 PM
yes. communication with most revealed record sales and lots of people. most had something different going on so people loved going to several stops

hungryhollow
03-08-2021, 07:59 PM
I tapped my trees Feb 26. I pulled the taps today, Mar 8. I've got 7 gallons of syrup and enough sap for another gallon and a half of syrup. It was a very busy week and a half. The sap was running very good today when I pulled the taps.

heus
03-09-2021, 06:11 AM
I tapped my trees Feb 26. I pulled the taps today, Mar 8. I've got 7 gallons of syrup and enough sap for another gallon and a half of syrup. It was a very busy week and a half. The sap was running very good today when I pulled the taps.
Wow that's a short season.

miboss
03-09-2021, 06:11 AM
in NEOH, If you haven't checked your tanks this morning, you better check them, I just put on 1000 gal of sap in 12 hours. That is on 500 taps, so about 2 gal/tap in 12 hours. Its going to be a busy day!

heus
03-09-2021, 06:12 AM
Sap is running great on vacuum in 44003. Running ok on gravity.

johnallin
03-09-2021, 06:38 AM
Same up here in the Federation of Kirtland Hills...it was pouring in as of mid afternoon - including 160+ gal of water removed by the RO, I pulled 370 gal of 1 1/2% by 9pm.

Had to stop the RO at 3.25 % to clear out the collection tank to make room for the over-night run, finally filled the evap, then fiddled with float box adjustments and other "fancy stuff".

I now have a full 160 gal head tank at 3.25% and anticipate a full collection tank.

All I can say is it's About Time

Kh7722
03-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Flowing like crazy here in Montville Hts. Had 2500 gallons at 4am, had to open up the overflow and store in my permeate tanks. Will be a double boil kinda day. All i know is that i need more tank storage
Kevin

johnallin
03-09-2021, 08:27 AM
That’s a lot of sap Kevin. Maybe time for that silo you‘ve been thinking about.
What’s the sugar?
Although temps were forecast to be in 40’s last night, it got cold enough down by the creek that my sap lifter iced up a bit.

Kh7722
03-09-2021, 09:57 AM
That’s a lot of sap Kevin. Maybe time for that silo you‘ve been thinking about.
What’s the sugar?
Although temps were forecast to be in 40’s last night, it got cold enough down by the creek that my sap lifter iced up a bit.

Sugar is 1.5-1.6 not great but thats what i get usually.

Got to 33 degrees last night here

johnallin
03-12-2021, 06:34 PM
This week was good with boils on both Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I have the new H20 Even Flow auto draw dialed in...

First boil on Tuesday was up and down as I kept fighting foam in the pans and playing with the draw off temp by hitting two buttons which caused the valve to open and dump under-density syrup into my tank.

Unknowingly I was calibrating the unit - and who knows what else - but the "manual" is a bit light on the details to say the least.
Made me crazy until Wednesday's boil when I realized that all I had to do was hit either an Up or Down Arrow to adjust temperature.
Once I had that figured out, I was able to adjust for density at will and set about 2 points heavy to correct what I had in the tank.

Now very impressed with how smoothly it operates. When it senses syrup is at the set temp it cracks open just a bit, then more as needed to maintain that temperature - it's fun to watch.
Also really cool to see the draw off temp adjust automatically with changes in barometric pressure - saw a 2/10ths of a degree change during Wed boil.

Anyway, I'm at 10 gallons made so far and getting ready for more this weekend.

Kh7722
03-12-2021, 07:38 PM
This week was good with boils on both Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I have the new H20 Even Flow auto draw dialed in...

First boil on Tuesday was up and down as I kept fighting foam in the pans and playing with the draw off temp by hitting two buttons which caused the valve to open and dump under-density syrup into my tank.

Unknowingly I was calibrating the unit - and who knows what else - but the "manual" is a bit light on the details to say the least.
Made me crazy until Wednesday's boil when I realized that all I had to do was hit either an Up or Down Arrow to adjust temperature.
Once I had that figured out, I was able to adjust for density at will and set about 2 points heavy to correct what I had in the tank.

Now very impressed with how smoothly it operates. When it senses syrup is at the set temp it cracks open just a bit, then more as needed to maintain that temperature - it's fun to watch.
Also really cool to see the draw off temp adjust automatically with changes in barometric pressure - saw a 2/10ths of a degree change during Wed boil.

Anyway, I'm at 10 gallons made so far and getting ready for more this weekend.

Those auto draws sure are amazing, the best thing to do is just let them be and self adjust, biggest thing ive learned is not to adjust after first draw off. It will usually be heavy syrup. After the boil balances out then adjust if needed

Otherwise it was a record week for sure boiled 6 times in 4 days and concentrated to 10-11 percent each time, sure does fly at level. Hopefully a good freeze will keep everything moving

heus
03-13-2021, 06:33 AM
I have made around 21 gallons so far (I used to make that much or more in a day :lol:). Waiting for a new ro membrane to come in the mail. Boiled raw 1.8% sap yesterday. Weather forecast looks good long term. Going to use my new 18" vacuum filter for the first time today.

johnallin
03-13-2021, 06:50 AM
I ran the vac just long enough to pull about 20 gallons of yellow “junk” that had been sitting in tube from the 70 degrees we had Thursday. After about 1/2 hour, nothing came in, so I shut down.
Looks great for today though.
Hope your membrane comes in Jason- I think you’ll need it today

johnallin
03-13-2021, 04:42 PM
Just bottled up 5 gallons from Tuesday boil. Amazing taste Amber Rich. Still have another 4-5 from Wednesday and what’s coming in right now to boil off tomorrow. This is fun 22224

CrossBroMaple
03-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Hoping for a longer season but I’ve had to pull a couple soft maples off of the tubing due too budding...anyone else seeing this?

woodburner
03-13-2021, 06:41 PM
No soft maples out here but what little came in today doesn’t look good. Heard the spring peepers the other day so the end is near. Getting some slime in the releaser boot already.

Kh7722
03-13-2021, 07:10 PM
Hoping for a longer season but I’ve had to pull a couple soft maples off of the tubing due too budding...anyone else seeing this?

We are on all red maples, buds are still pretty tight in the woods. Freeze last night brought in about 1500 gallons today alone. We make syrup all the way through flower buds which i figure id still more than a week away, hoping for a few more boils. The guys i used to boil with were on all sugars and we slways went as long as them. Think we are still good for a bit longer.
Kevin

hungryhollow
03-13-2021, 07:17 PM
Wow that's a short season. I am just doing it for a hobby. I give most of my syrup away. I had 55 taps and had to boil almost every day.

johnallin
03-13-2021, 07:41 PM
We are on all red maples, buds are still pretty tight in the woods. Freeze last night brought in about 1500 gallons today alone. We make syrup all the way through flower buds which i figure id still more than a week away, hoping for a few more boils. The guys i used to boil with were on all sugars and we slways went as long as them. Think we are still good for a bit longer.
Kevin
I’m with you Kevin.
Don’t see trees leafing out for a while yet. Not enough warm weather.

CrossBroMaple
03-14-2021, 08:22 AM
Not seeing much sap this weekend so far either. Its really dry here too.

Hunt4sap
03-14-2021, 06:31 PM
My yard trees are just starting to turn red with the very beginning of budding
I don't think I will get much more from my silver's before the sap turns buddy...
And I don't know if I want to tap any of my woods that are red maples because I've made pretty much enough syrup for my family already.22233
Made some really nice stuff today and had some bystanders watching me all day...

Hunt4sap
03-16-2021, 08:13 AM
Woke up to buckets 1/4 full this am(3/16)? And running hard when I left driveway in dark... Trying to pretend I can predict runs this year is like trying to pretend I can predict where I'll catch small mouths on lake erie

johnallin
03-16-2021, 08:45 AM
Fired up the vacuum this morning and it’s coming in nicely. Still looks good up here in the Federation of Kirtland Hills :cool:

miboss
03-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Also on a good run here in Wadsworth, have about 700 gal in the last 24 hours on 500 taps. I am going to go around a start pulling some taps on trees who's buds are looking...huge, which is maybe 5-10% of my woods.

Kh7722
03-16-2021, 04:40 PM
Had almost a full tank again here today (2200) gallons.just over 2gallons per tap. Still coming in strong

johnallin
03-16-2021, 07:39 PM
Running up here right now. Some issues with north woods area but all is now good. Bud’s are still tight over here

heus
03-20-2021, 06:28 AM
Unless the forecast changes, looks like the next couple days is it for Ashtabula County.

Sugarmaker
03-20-2021, 07:22 AM
Jason, Ohio Folks,
Probably same for next door too! Hope to make some good syrup in next few days and then that may be it??
Going to Ohio to learn how to make syrup today!
Regards,
Chris

Hunt4sap
03-20-2021, 07:28 AM
Unless the forecast changes, looks like the next couple days is it for Ashtabula County. I'm pulling my taps tomorrow after I collect whatever from the next couple days and do last boil! Made just enough for friends and family, just a hobby for me...

heus
03-20-2021, 07:36 AM
Chris is this the place off Route 7 near Conneaut?

johnallin
03-20-2021, 07:49 PM
About 200 gallons came in today. Got that down to 45 gallons at 5%. Still crystal clear and holding at 1.5%.
Boiled it off with what came in yesterday and am bottling now. Should be another 5 gallons. Looks like tomorrow is the end though.

heus
03-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Looks like the last good day of sap today. Had a nice freeze again last night. Hoping to have enough sap from yesterday and today to generate enough water for the end of year ro cleaning, as well as to help push some sweet out of the pans.

Hunt4sap
03-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Can clear sap make buddy tasting syrup?

Ed R
03-21-2021, 02:48 PM
Yes it can

Hunt4sap
03-21-2021, 04:40 PM
That's interesting because last year when I used clear sap from trees that had red flowering buds on them I did not get any off smelling near up? I'm tempted to finish it anyways because it's only going to amount to about 3 or 4 12 oz bottles and just see what it makes when it's finished... I remember in years past having the same smell near up and it just made really dark finished syrup.

johnallin
03-21-2021, 06:33 PM
Pretty quiet here today. Small amount still coming, in did get about 150 gal over night. 1.3 % RO’d to 4.5% and pumped it up to head tank. Whatever comes in tonight and tomorrow will be used to finish off what’s in the rig, permeate for cleanup.
Darn this was a short season!

Ed R
03-21-2021, 08:00 PM
Hunt4syrup, make the syrup, it will be fine. You can make great syrup when the flowers are completely open on reds and silvers. They usually just stop running before syrup goes buddy. It's sugar maple clear sap that can be more of a buddy issue.

johnallin
03-21-2021, 08:22 PM
That's interesting because last year when I used clear sap from trees that had red flowering buds on them I did not get any off smelling near up? I'm tempted to finish it anyways because it's only going to amount to about 3 or 4 12 oz bottles and just see what it makes when it's finished... I remember in years past having the same smell near up and it just made really dark finished syrup.

For the sake of 3 or 4 bottles, I don’t think you’ve got anything to lose by boiling it down.
You’ll know pretty quickly if it’s bad, but it’s not been all that warm - over here anyway- to warrant dumping it. Now, come mid-week that may be a different story....

miboss
03-22-2021, 06:41 AM
My recap for the year...

Last boil for us yesterday (Sunday) in Wadsworth...

sap stayed cloudy since the first warm up
trees budding or nearly budding
warm temps with no freeze in sight
only getting 1-200 gal day, not enough to run/clean RO or fire evaporator before sap goes bad

Shortest season since we started. Made 150 gal on 500 taps so .3gal/tap. I'm disappointed, but considering we tapped 2/24 and first boil was 2/27, that's not too bad for a 3 week season. Still lots of clean up to do.

The lightest syrup we made was a hanna of 67 and the darkest was 30, we never got to very dark, which surprised me given the temps.

Overall, I had really high hopes for the season. Everything went right at the beginning, I got everything tapped the fastest I ever had. I had the vacuum system dialed in and leaks fixed in 1 day and maintained 27.5" the entire season.

I'm interested in hearing how everyone else in NEOH did as far as per tap production went. This was year two on the zapbac spouts, so I have a small concern that these may have affected some production vs new drops and spouts. Although it's hard to compare when your season was only 3 weeks long...

Kh7722
03-22-2021, 08:57 PM
Had our last run today (could have maybe got another day or two) pushed off with water trying to drain evaporator from all sweet. Made 42 gallons tonight. Figured about 12-15 gallons sitting in pans if i would not have flushed. It was a decent year for us. Not a record breaker on a per tap basis but made more then last year so id consider it a win. Going to clean up over next week and start prepping for next year. Bigger things ahead. Hope everyone else did well!
Kevin

heus
03-23-2021, 06:05 AM
As far as production goes, this was my worst year in the 12 years that I have done this. Mostly weather related, but also because of a defective new ro membrane (I was losing 1% through my permeate for awhile before I caught it). It was a successful season, though, because I was able to continue working with my dad in the sugarhouse.

Sugarmaker
03-23-2021, 06:35 AM
Report from next door (PA) We finished last night with wings and Maple sauces! Sap sugar level dropped to 1.5% yesterday, On 700 taps (combined) we made 156 gallons of syrup. I was happy! Looking forward to next season!
Regards,
Chris

Hunt4sap
03-23-2021, 06:38 AM
For the sake of 3 or 4 bottles, I don’t think you’ve got anything to lose by boiling it down.
You’ll know pretty quickly if it’s bad, but it’s not been all that warm - over here anyway- to warrant dumping it. Now, come mid-week that may be a different story....
Ok I put it in freezer along with last few gallons trees pushed out that was clear that I'll finish up this week on the stove...
Made enough for family and friends.
Thanks fellas for your info on everything!

johnallin
03-23-2021, 06:46 AM
Finished up last night by boiling off what came in yesterday and Sunday.
Ended up with about 1/2 of lasts year's total, but only had 2 weeks to do it in.

miboss
03-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Report from next door (PA) We finished last night with wings and Maple sauces! Sap sugar level dropped to 1.5% yesterday, On 700 taps (combined) we made 156 gallons of syrup. I was happy! Looking forward to next season!
Regards,
Chris

It's interesting comparing your season to mine. You have more taps than me by about 180, yet I almost made as much (minus 6 gal). In fact, the best sugar % I ever see is 1.5%, and most of the season it's a hair above 1%, where yours dropped to 1.5% at the end. I'm guessing you must be on buckets with no vacuum? If so, that's a bigger difference the vacuum makes than what I thought...

DrTimPerkins
03-23-2021, 11:27 AM
If so, that's a bigger difference the vacuum makes than what I thought...

The difference is not likely to be due to vacuum. https://mapleresearch.org/pub/m1007sapcollectionvacuumlevel/

miboss
03-23-2021, 11:44 AM
The difference is not likely to be due to vacuum. https://mapleresearch.org/pub/m1007sapcollectionvacuumlevel/

Thanks Dr. Tim, that's what I thought.

woodburner
03-23-2021, 07:30 PM
All cleaned up over here. Finished with less than half of last years total. Looking back on my records we have had worse years, gal per tap in 2000 our worst, 65gal on 700 half buckets. Found it interesting that 1999 was our best year, 165 gal on 700. With Mother Nature you never know. Very dry here for March, when I pulled taps most were dry having only been in 3 1/2 weeks.

johnallin
03-24-2021, 07:24 AM

The study indicates vacuum... what am I missing here?

DrTimPerkins
03-24-2021, 07:27 AM
The study indicates vacuum... what am I missing here?

The poster of that comment suggested that some of the difference in sap sugar content might be (partially or fully) due to vacuum. The study I cited demonstrates that vacuum does not appreciably alter sap sugar content.

johnallin
03-24-2021, 07:38 AM
The poster of that comment suggested that some of the difference in sap sugar content might be (partially or fully) due to vacuum. The study I cited demonstrates that vacuum does not appreciably alter sap sugar content.

I didn't pickup on the difference in sugar content, but thought he was referring to gallons of sap per tap...thanks as always.

miboss
03-24-2021, 08:59 AM
I didn't pickup on the difference in sugar content, but thought he was referring to gallons of sap per tap...thanks as always.

Yeah, I was referring to sap gal/tap, but rereading my original post, I can see why DrTim thought I was referring to sugar %.

fred
03-24-2021, 09:05 AM

that's interesting because most of the places I install vacuum/tubing they lose 1 to 2 tenths of a percent sugar but gain 2.5 times the gallons collected. many around here hit 35-40 gallons of sap per tap under vacuum

johnallin
03-24-2021, 01:53 PM
Look out...Fred’s stirring the pot...grin

johnallin
04-17-2021, 07:59 PM
Results are in...drum roll......rim shot!
Kevin aka "Kh7722" is Grand Champion of the 2021 Geauga Co. Maple Syrup Contest...way to go Kevin!
Not bad for a boy from Montville "Hts" And all taps on Red Maples to boot...<Big Grin>

Kh7722
04-18-2021, 10:35 AM
Results are in...drum roll......rim shot!
Kevin aka "Kh7722" is Grand Champion of the 2021 Geauga Co. Maple Syrup Contest...way to go Kevin!
Not bad for a boy from Montville "Hts" And all taps on Red Maples to boot...<Big Grin>

Thanks John we appreciate it!
Those darn red maples lol

Sugarmaker
04-24-2021, 06:40 AM
Kevin,
Congratulations on the award at the Geauga Co Maple Syrup Contest!
Regards,
Chris