PDA

View Full Version : Curving Mainline

SeanD
01-01-2021, 04:27 PM
What are the pros and cons to curving mainline around the outside of a tree so the mainline contacts the tree vs. running the curve inside the tree and pulling the line outward toward the tree with a side tie?

The mainline doesn't zig-zag. It has a long curve in one direction over a 200' section with maybe a total of 30-40 degrees total turn. It passes 4-5 trees that are used in the turn along the way.

Thanks,
Sean

Ultimatetreehugger
01-01-2021, 05:37 PM
Less work, it's better for the tree, and it's easier to work around without having to duck under tie backs. I only use tie backs if absolutely necessary.

bill m
01-01-2021, 06:13 PM
I never go around behind the tree, I always use a tie back. Easier to make adjustments in the future. More forgiving if a tree falls on it. Takes out a lot of the zig zag in the tubing. Remember the 3 rules of tubing- straight, tight and downhill.

Shaun
01-01-2021, 06:17 PM
I always try to avoid my mains touching a tree. If it does I tie back off the tree to avoid critter damage.

Kh7722
01-01-2021, 08:49 PM
We dont go around the tree, it causes the tubing to become pinched or oval. It will reduce the volume of sap that can flow through it. Tie backs are the way to go because you can untie and drop tubing for woods maintenance work. Curving mainline through woods is ok as well as long as you dont have sharp changes in direction, if tubing is sized properly it wont be an issue.
Kevin

Brian
01-02-2021, 05:03 AM
I swerve every tree I can to hold up the mainline. Then go through and put tie backs every twenty to forty feet depending the movement in the mainline. Some places i put in post or the fence stakes to hold the line up too. If I have to make a corner I find a place to go around three or four trees for a gradual corner otherwise it is post and alot of tie backs.

Brian
01-02-2021, 05:25 AM
I don't swerve trees unless they are in sort of a straight line of where I am going. I don't have unnecessary corners. If I have to make a 90 deg. I anchor it off at a tree and throw in another 2 anchors and a rathcet make the corner and keep going with the wire. As far as the pipe, I cut it there, tie it off with finger traps and wire and throw in a connector.

SeanD
01-17-2021, 04:24 PM
I ended up going with the curve on the insides of the trees and tying the mainline outward to the trees. It went well and I had a nice gradual arc, though I took a long time to do it. As I would tighten to one tree, it would cause the adjacent tie backs to loosen. I found myself going back and forth over and over again. Ultimately, I used series of four ratchet straps going at once and had more success with that.

What's the most efficient way to do this - start at the center of the arc and work outward toward the ends or start at one end of the line and work through the arc to the opposite end?

Just as I was wrapping up, a Gripple on an old repair of the mainline shattered, so I have the opportunity to do it all over again tomorrow.:o

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Lol, that sucks on the gripple repair. Sounds like a typical end to a day of working on maple lines :). Not sure what your angle was but if the angle is anywhere near or more than 90 degrees do what Brian said and run 2 different strands of wire. We have to do a 1000’ mainline next year up a brook and due to the zigs and zags, we will probably have 6 anchor points and 3 runs of wire.