PDA

View Full Version : Removing Taps at end of Season from Reds

Tuckeradams2012
12-08-2020, 08:02 AM
Odd question here that I should probably know the answer to. In my research red maples seem to bud earlier than other maple trees, so if there is a red maple on the line is it prudent to pull them early? And if so with the tap going into the tee, once you unplug it and set it into the tee will the line maintain vacuum?

minehart gap
12-08-2020, 07:43 PM
I am hoping that others will comment here but in my experience, red maple will simply stop flowing before the sap goes buddy.

Kh7722
12-08-2020, 08:30 PM
That is what i have noticed happens.

I am hoping that others will comment here but in my experience, red maple will simply stop flowing before the sap goes buddy.

john henry
12-09-2020, 05:58 AM
I set out @ 1,200+ taps and close to half of them are Red Maples. I am in Southern PA and have never pulled the Red Maples before my Sugar Maples on tubing or buckets. IT has never caused an off favor or buddy issue in my 10+ years of sugaring. Like it was mentioned they just quit flowing for me.

JoeJ
12-09-2020, 06:41 AM
In 2010 I decided to try pulling the taps on my red maples to try to extend the season without worrying about buddy syrup. I pulled the reds 6 days before my last boil. At the time, I had 924 taps and pulled the 164 taps on red maples, about 17% of my trees. 35% of my syrup was commercial syrup any way and I did not note if there was any buddy syrup. My analysis was that by pulling the taps on the red maples I just reduced the amount of syrup that I made and have not pulled any red maple taps since.
I added 2,200 taps in a new woods in 2014 with 48% of the trees being red maple. I could not find my syrup sales records for 2014, but in 2015 I made 92 gallons of commercial syrup "With a late flavor" descriptor on the slip by the buyer. For the next 5 seasons, including 2020, I have not made a drop of any bad tasting syrup, commercial syrup or "late flavor syrup". I might attribute this to not collecting sap as late in the season as when I started. The first nine seasons, my last boil averaged April 11 with 5 dates above the average and the last seven seasons my last boil averaged April 8 with 3 dates above the average.

Joe

buckeye gold
12-09-2020, 06:48 AM
My experience is the same, they just quit flowing

DrTimPerkins
12-09-2020, 06:59 AM
My experience is the same, they just quit flowing

Same. About 1/3 of our taps are red maple. We don't untap them.

Red maple flower buds open early in the spring. These are not the same as vegetative buds. We rarely ever encounter buddy syrup. Typically the season ends due to sap flow slow-down or stoppage.

For us, the end of the season is usually indicated by frogs...typically within a day of when sap either stops running, or it runs so slowly it sours in the lines.

Tuckeradams2012
12-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Perfect. Love to hear the feedback, I want to extend my season for as long as I could and it sounds like this will allow me to do so! Appreciate you all!

TapTapTap
12-12-2020, 04:39 AM
I hear what you all are saying about the reds shutting off and buddiness never really happening. However, my late season experiences are typically an increasingly darker syrup and greater effort to clean my rig. I normally attribute these conditions to the soft maples (I'm about 40% by tap count). I also see a rosy-pink color on the filter papers which I attribute to the soft maples starting to bud. Am I wrong?

I'm currently adding about 600 taps on a 100% hard maple sugarbush and I'm going to add a new releaser that will serve not just these new maples but most of other hard maples. The result will be that most of my soft maple trees will be isolated on the old releaser which will allow me to entirely switch over the hard maples for the end of season. I'm hoping that this will allow me to extend the season by another boil or two with good quality/"lighter" grade syrup.

DrTimPerkins
12-12-2020, 09:05 AM
I hear what you all are saying about the reds shutting off and buddiness never really happening. However, my late season experiences are typically an increasingly darker syrup and greater effort to clean my rig. I normally attribute these conditions to the soft maples (I'm about 40% by tap count). I also see a rosy-pink color on the filter papers which I attribute to the soft maples starting to bud. Am I wrong?

Typically in late season syrup will be darker and stronger tasting, whether with red or sugar maple. Niter typically increases in late season also. Those are both the regular trend and not really attributable to red vs sugar.

The more typical concerns are timing of buddy off-flavor (no direct scientific evidence), lower sugar content in red maple (some evidence under gravity conditions, but very old research), and perhaps more variability in sap yield and sugar content and somewhat higher internal staining (mixed evidence, mostly pointing towards "no"). There is also some suggestion that red maple syrup and sugar maple syrup have a somewhat different flavor profile. Give Dr. Abby another three years and she'll be able to tell you.

maple flats
12-12-2020, 09:51 AM
I used to be all sugarmaples until about 6 years ago. For the first 5 of those I removed the reds as the buds just opened, by removing those laterals from the system. I had the reds on separate laterals. Then Dr Tim said it was not necessary and this past season I left the reds on, and then pulled the taps when the sugar maples were pulled. I got no buddy or ropey syrup, all was grade A and in fact, even my final cleanup yielded no Very Dark.
I do believe that the mix of sugar and red maples makes a better tasting syrup. Last year I was at about 50/50 on each.

Sugar Bear
12-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Last year about mid Feb I boiled off a gallon of red sap alongside a gallon of sugar sap, both close to syrup consistency. Both appeared and tasted exactly alike. I noticed my Red Maple tap either just gave good clear sap or shut down. And never really left cloudy or even slightly hazy sap in the pail. Or any of the pinkish slime that the Sugar Maples eventually start to leave. My Red tap did not flow very fast even though it was in a 36" diameter tree and into good green wood.

Does anybody have any experience with Norwegian sap? Many years ago I boiled some Norwegian sap and as I remember it splattered like crazy in the pan when it was still a good distance from being syrup.

littleTapper
12-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Does anybody have any experience with Norwegian sap? Many years ago I boiled some Norwegian sap and as I remember it splattered like crazy in the pan when it was still a good distance from being syrup.

I have a seven Norways on vac and one on a bucket so the sap gets mixed with silver and sugar sap. Used to tap a large Norway at my mother-in-law's that is an absolute gusher. They make great syrup. I have boiled some separate in the past and have had no popping. Maybe a heavy niter condition?