PDA

View Full Version : Back yard RO Questions

Lucky Dog
12-03-2020, 08:42 AM
A few years ago I built a RO. I use 4 100GPD membranes, and a small pump that max's out at about 80 PSI.

I would like to increase my throughput on the RO and would like to know if I went to a 150 GPD membrane (4) and a pump that would generate more PSI accomplish that?

For full disclosure, I admit to being an RO idiot.

maple flats
12-03-2020, 09:28 AM
100 gpd x 4 is 400 gpd divided by 24=16.66 gal/hr. Does yours now handle about 16+ gal/hr? If not, find out how much pressure your current components will handle, (plumbing, canisters etc.) Then just try a pump that gets closer to that pressure, if it's the pump you might want for what you suggest, all the better, even if you need to restrict the pressure to 100, or maybe 120psi. Then if that fails to increase your production enough just use that pump with the new membranes and plumbing you suggest.
When a membrane is rated at a certain flow, it is input, not out put and it is at a specific pressure. Don't over pressure any component, even 80 PSI can be dangerous if it blows apart and as that psi increases so does the potential damage.

Lucky Dog
12-03-2020, 01:33 PM
100 gpd x 4 is 400 gpd divided by 24=16.66 gal/hr. Does yours now handle about 16+ gal/hr? If not, find out how much pressure your current components will handle, (plumbing, canisters etc.) Then just try a pump that gets closer to that pressure, if it's the pump you might want for what you suggest, all the better, even if you need to restrict the pressure to 100, or maybe 120psi. Then if that fails to increase your production enough just use that pump with the new membranes and plumbing you suggest.
When a membrane is rated at a certain flow, it is input, not out put and it is at a specific pressure. Don't over pressure any component, even 80 PSI can be dangerous if it blows apart and as that psi increases so does the potential damage.

I have never really measured the through put of my system, but I would say I get about 2.5 - 3 GPH.
Good comment on the pressure rating of my components.

vtbackyardmaple
12-15-2020, 05:01 AM
Try a 125 or 150psi pump first. Keep those membranes as it might be just fine for your volume.
If you don't get the results you desire then upgrade membranes. This way at least you have the pump
to push 150 psi or 125psi. To get rid of the water you need that psi to push through the membranes.
My 8800 is rated for 125psi. I'll probably run mine at 110psi and see how it does. If it struggles
then I'll upgrade to 250psi pump. Never skimp on the pump.

UPventrure
01-26-2021, 07:24 AM
We have an AEM pump that we run around 180 psi through 5 membranes. We also use a feeder pump that helps our pressure pump maintain the higher psi. We can normally get around 15-16gph @ 8-10%.