PDA

View Full Version : brand new pan cleaning

canaanmaple
11-30-2020, 11:11 AM
is there a special cleaning process for brand new pans before initial use? I've heard everything from scrub welds with baking soda to use soap and water because there is residue on the mirror finish......

thanks!

Kh7722
11-30-2020, 11:39 AM
I wouldn’t scrub anything, it will scratch and make it more difficult to clean later. I would just boil water to help sterilize for a while before first use
Kevin

DrTimPerkins
11-30-2020, 12:25 PM
Boil water (really deep). If you want to be extra cautious, do a water boil followed by an pan acid or vinegar soak and copious rinsing.

Arctic Fox
12-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Boil water (really deep).

Do you have a recommendation for the length of time for the boil?

Aaron Stack
12-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Boil water (really deep). If you want to be extra cautious, do a water boil followed by an pan acid or vinegar soak and copious rinsing.

Would I use straight vinegar or is there a dilution formula? My pan is new also and I believe the instructions say to use baking soda for an initial cleaning/boil.

DrTimPerkins
12-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Would I use straight vinegar or is there a dilution formula? My pan is new also and I believe the instructions say to use baking soda for an initial cleaning/boil.

You could dilute it 1:1, but if the instructions say to use baking soda, do that.

Someclown
12-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Curious as well, does your instructions say to scrub the pan with a baking soda paste mixture prior to boiling or just boil with baking soda.

Aaron Stack
12-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Thanks Dr. Tim. Someclown - Pulled out the instructions and it doesn't mention scrubbing at all.

My pan is small, 20x30x6, so it says to to mix 5 gallons water with 1 tablespoon baking soda and boil for 30 minutes making sure the solution remains a minimum of 2 inches by adding more as needed. Allow to cool, drain, then rinse thoroughly. For a 2x4 the recommendation is a 10:2 mixture.

Personally I was planning to fill it to the brim for the initial boil to make sure to get the whole surface clean. I picked up a soft bristle scrub brush at Depot which IMHO shouldn't pose a scratching risk. They are very soft compared to a regular scrub brush, but the plan is to use it more as a gentle wipe over a hard scrub just in case.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-in-Soft-Gong-Scrub-Brush-with-Microban-261MBHDXRM/302785402