PDA

View Full Version : End Loop and Moldy Oines

bryankloos
11-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Hi All,

I'm curious what you guys use for end loops.

I'm running 3/16 on vac with a simple plug/hook wrapped around the last tree on the run.
I have a fair amount of dirst/mold int he end lines as they wrap around the tree.
Is there a better method for terminating the lines?
I'm thinking of maybe a 3-way T that has all plugs?

Whats best practice?

Thanks,

Bryan

maple flats
11-26-2020, 08:46 AM
The best way I've found is to run the drop on the hook or eye after you go around the tree. That way you have no "dead" section. Then when you clean the lines that gets cleaned too.
What method do you use to clean the tubing?

bryankloos
11-26-2020, 10:00 AM
Last year was my first year.
I used a squirt bottle to push in hydrogen peroxide solution while the pump was sucking, starting at the top and working down each tap towards the pump.

I wish they made a 3way T with 2 plugged ends. That would allow a dead loop around the tree with the functional barb for the pressure gauge. I'd just T into the line a couple inches down for the tap.

buckeye gold
11-26-2020, 10:18 AM
I run a piece of electric fence wire through enough tubing to go around the tree and twist the wire together then I snap the end line hook over the tubing and my drop goes straight up to the tap hole, no loop. I can even pull it tighter that way. Next time I'm in the woods I'll take a pic.

Walling's Maple Syrup
11-26-2020, 05:00 PM
I use a one way t on the downhill side of the tree for the last tap on a line. Same for 3/16&5/16 tubing. Eliminates the dirty dead spot behind tree which is also where a lot of animal damage occurs.
Neil

Super Sapper
11-27-2020, 07:20 AM
I use 5/16 drops on my 3/16 lines except for the last tap. I run the 3/16 through some hollow core rope that is tied to the end tree and use a "3/16" tap. No tee or endline hook needed.

bryankloos
11-27-2020, 09:52 AM
What is a 1-way Tee, and what is an end-line Tee?

GeneralStark
11-27-2020, 11:56 AM

One leg of the T is plugged so the loop around the tree is "dead". I use a end hook on that loop to connect back to the lateral. I only use CDL fittings so perhaps with other manufacturers fittings there are different options for this. CDL has not yet made (as far as I know) a dead end T for 3/16 with a 5/16 drop barb. So in those situations I use a 5/16 fitting and then a 5/16-3/16 reducer downstream of the dead end T.

fred
11-27-2020, 12:03 PM

same thing. 2 points are open for sap flow 2 points are closed to stop bacteria inlay

bryankloos
11-27-2020, 12:26 PM
sounds like what i need.