PDA

View Full Version : Tapping for 2021

Nuch25
11-24-2020, 10:05 PM
My first time tapping was this past year. I got a late start, but yielded great results. I’m using a turkey fryer and would like to know if you can add fresh sap to par boiled sap or should you completely separate the batches. Just trying to use less propane. If anyone has suggestions I am welcome to feedback. I have 12 taps on my property and need to make it worth my time and money. Thanks!

Super Sapper
11-25-2020, 05:35 AM
You can keep adding sap while boiling or to sweet from a previous boil. The more you do this the darker the syrup will be.

DrTimPerkins
11-25-2020, 08:09 AM
As Super Sapper says, you can add fresh sap to the sweet. It will darken the product. If your fryer is aluminum, I'd suggest transferring it into something different while it is stored. Acid sap/sweet can leach softer metals into the sap/sweet and cause off-flavor. You also want to be sure the sweet doesn't spoil between boils, so keep it as cool as possible, and if the weather is warm, bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes every couple of days.

ir3333
11-25-2020, 09:08 AM
could you boil and take off near syrup in a 5 gallon pail and add successive take offs on following days until the 5 gallon pail is full and then
store cool until finishing. Then start a new pail and continue...finish all 5 gallon near syrup pails when sap has stopped running?

Super Sapper
11-26-2020, 06:28 AM
A lot of producers do it that way. You have to make sure it is kept very cool as you store it. I wouldn't go the whole season before finishing unless kept in a freezer but combining a few to finish would help.

Ghost
01-02-2021, 08:45 AM
Looking at the forecast it’s so tempting to tap. To do so would be be contrary to the sage advice of Sugar Bear . . .

therealtreehugger
01-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Just checked the forecast - you are right!!! I am not ready yet - replacing tubing this year and it's not up yet. First, a few trees have to come down, then the tubing can go up. It wont take long. But the highs and lows look perfect!!!

Sugar Bear
01-02-2021, 04:50 PM
Looking at the forecast it’s so tempting to tap. To do so would be be contrary to the sage advice of Sugar Bear . . .

Very tempting indeed.

But ... another rule of thumb I have just recently adopted is to avoid tapping before we have had a good prolonged freeze up. Whether I had 4 million taps or 4 taps that would be the case. For an assortment of reasons. But the obvious one would be that if the above rule of thumb were not logical then maple syrup in the united states would be best known as Tennessee Maple Syrup or Virginia Maple Syrup rather then Vermont Maple Syrup.

In my parts so far this year we may have gone 24 hours without getting above 32 degrees, but I don't think we have gone 48 hours and 4 sure not 72 hours.

But if you have more trees then taps, my rule of thumb changes to whenever you think you can make syrup then make it.

Gods Speed and let us know how it goes.

The Bear

therealtreehugger
01-02-2021, 05:28 PM
But if you have more trees then taps, my rule of thumb changes to whenever you think you can make syrup then make it.
The Bear

"If you have more trees than taps" - lmao!!! I needed that!

Ghost
01-02-2021, 08:25 PM
The Bear hath spoken, thyne drill shalt rest until a great freeze settles upon us . . .

Sugar Bear
01-03-2021, 08:53 AM
The Bear hath spoken, thyne drill shalt rest until a great freeze settles upon us . . .

The Bear asks that when you do tap be sure to post your sugar content as often as you can .... and please test from a combined mix of all your sap.

aviboy97
01-03-2021, 10:02 AM
Very tempting indeed.

But ... another rule of thumb I have just recently adopted is to avoid tapping before we have had a good prolonged freeze up. Whether I had 4 million taps or 4 taps that would be the case. For an assortment of reasons. But the obvious one would be that if the above rule of thumb were not logical then maple syrup in the united states would be best known as Tennessee Maple Syrup or Virginia Maple Syrup rather then Vermont Maple Syrup.

In my parts so far this year we may have gone 24 hours without getting above 32 degrees, but I don't think we have gone 48 hours and 4 sure not 72 hours.

Gods Speed and let us know how it goes.

The Bear

So tempting for sure with the forecast ahead. Still not tapping until close to end of January. Still have equipment adjustments to do anyways. I’m not ready to make anything yet.

minehart gap
01-03-2021, 01:02 PM
Very tempting indeed.

another rule of thumb I have just recently adopted is to avoid tapping before we have had a good prolonged freeze up.
The Bear

I followed this"rule of thumb" last year and will not make that mistake again. I believe at one time in history, that rule may have been applicable, but not with the weather of recent times.
Last year, I made 1/3 of the syrup per tap that I have made in the past. Partly because of an early warm-up but partly because I waited 5 weeks from when weather first looked good for that prolonged freeze.
Sure, the ssc may be down before a freeze compared to after but what if that prolonged freeze doesn't happen. Weather is unpredictable at best and getting more unreliable every year.
If the weather is right and you are ready, tap them and make syrup. You never know what it might be like tomorrow let alone in a couple of weeks.

Ghost
01-03-2021, 01:57 PM
When did you tap last year?

buckeye gold
01-03-2021, 02:24 PM
I start watching weather trends in October and November and try and build an estimate of what will happen. Once we get close to the winter solstice you can usually reasonably guess the trends for the next couple months. Look at the weather history for the last 6-8 weeks and you'll be able to identify some trends. Guide your tapping by that, still I would be reluctant to go all in more than two weeks prior to historic tapping dates. I'm in southern Ohio and my timeline is not the same as you in northern areas, but weather trends are still applicable. We often see winters anymore that never have a deep freeze and our thaw comes quicker. However, we rarely get long periods of snow cover and so when we do get really cold temps. our ground takes longer to thaw than those areas that have deep snow cover. Therefore use what others are doing only as a source of information that helps you build your own scenario. I have tapped all in as early as January 8th and as late as February3rd, but most years (80%) my all in tapping is between January 20 and 31st. When you see me talk about tapping in December, don't get confused that I am all in. I have a part of my bush I early tap independent of my main bush and season. I do not depend on these for regular production, but as a bonus tapping.

Ghost
01-05-2021, 04:58 PM
The only trend I can discern with suitable confidence is that my wallet keeps getting thinner.

minehart gap
01-05-2021, 07:14 PM
When did you tap last year? if your question was to me, I tapped Feb. 8th & 9th last year.

Sugar Bear
01-05-2021, 07:25 PM
The only trend I can discern with suitable confidence is that my wallet keeps getting thinner.

Yup me too and also that every year we get a more and more dangerous version of the flu! This year being particurly bad!

By the way "The Bear" findeth this today all over the news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/05/polar-vortex-split-cold-snow/

Gord
01-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Weather is unpredictable at best and getting more unreliable every year.
If the weather is right and you are ready, tap them and make syrup. You never know what it might be like tomorrow let alone in a couple of weeks.

I agree. I feel like I'm waiting just because I'm supposed to. The daily long range forecast for my area looks so good. 20's at night, 40's during the day.

DrTimPerkins
01-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Long-term weather forecasts are not terribly reliable. History is as good or better an indicator.

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/mn1116weather-2-2/

Kubota
01-07-2021, 09:46 AM
I remember last year mid January it was ideal tapping weather and everyone was chomping at the bit. Finally Jan 22 I went for it as the 14 day looked ideal. Lots of people in CT were holding out. It never got cold last year after that and all the hold-out's ended up being forced into tapping two weeks later. In that two weeks it never got really cold and people missed two weeks of great running. Looking back, it seems like the end of January tapping was the right call.

The difference in winter so far between last year and this year is that last year it did get cold for a decent stretch beginning of January, where this season we have not have had hardly any prolonged cold. I do think/hope we will get one prolonged cold stretch so I plan on waiting at least two more weeks.

Just my $0.02 but I am a small time (60 Tap, 3rd season) newbie. I don't really think there is a correct answer as each situation is different, but I am learning to just watch the weather, understand historic weather trends, understand the current winter to date, understand maple research/traditions and mostly just go with your gut. I am also a big believer in Law-of-Averages, and weather trends almost always balance out (Although we are trending slightly warmer each year). Hot summer hopefully results in a cold winter and vice versa, so I try not to get so jumpy on that first warm up in January if it was a hot summer.

Good luck all! Can't wait for it to start. I'll be checking in here regularly to see what other CT folks are doing.

Sugar Bear
01-07-2021, 10:39 AM
I remember last year mid January it was ideal tapping weather and everyone was chomping at the bit. Finally Jan 22 I went for it as the 14 day looked ideal. Lots of people in CT were holding out. It never got cold last year after that and all the hold-out's ended up being forced into tapping two weeks later. In that two weeks it never got really cold and people missed two weeks of great running. Looking back, it seems like the end of January tapping was the right call.

The difference in winter so far between last year and this year is that last year it did get cold for a decent stretch beginning of January, where this season we have not have had hardly any prolonged cold. I do think/hope we will get one prolonged cold stretch so I plan on waiting at least two more weeks.

Just my $0.02 but I am a small time (60 Tap, 3rd season) newbie. I don't really think there is a correct answer as each situation is different, but I am learning to just watch the weather, understand historic weather trends, understand the current winter to date, understand maple research/traditions and mostly just go with your gut. I am also a big believer in Law-of-Averages, and weather trends almost always balance out (Although we are trending slightly warmer each year). Hot summer hopefully results in a cold winter and vice versa, so I try not to get so jumpy on that first warm up in January if it was a hot summer.

Good luck all! Can't wait for it to start. I'll be checking in here regularly to see what other CT folks are doing.

This is all contingent with where you are in Connecticut and what equipment you use. If you are south of the Merritt Parkway today, yesterday and the next few days may have some decent sap flow. If your north of the Merritt and up on the bench, gravity flow is at a very slow rate. A pump may do something here not sure.

I tapped February 15th last year about 10 miles north of the Merritt Bench. Not a thing about that date I regret. Had a record flow rate in early March. Yes my season ended by mid March but my gallons of sap and syrup produced was close to the same as other years and my total effort was near half of other years.

Wind is a huge factor in sap flow as well and we have had a lot of wind this year. A 38 degree sunny calm day is more likely to have better sap flow then a 38 degree sunny windy day. I'll put a good guarantee on that effect in January. Even a better one February. And even a better one in March.

I am learning but unfortunately forgetting as fast as I am learning.

bryankloos
01-08-2021, 04:49 PM
Sugar Bear. Where are you in Weston. I’m here as well.

Sugar Bear
01-08-2021, 08:07 PM
I am on the north side up at the top of 57. I imagine your about the same as me weather wise.

Have you set your site on a planned tap date yet?

How did your RO work for you? And how many and what size membranes did you use?

I am thinking of tapping some Reds this year and will use RO if I do.

bryankloos
01-08-2021, 10:20 PM
I’ve had my hands full as my son is fighting cancer and had a major surgery this week. Just starting to think about gearing up for the season. I need to change out all my check flow taps and set up my pump and collection systems.

The forecast looks good but it is early.

I’ll try to get out early tomorrow and work on my lines. Assuming I have time I’ll also get out my IBC tote and run my transfer pump lines from vac up to the tote. It’s a good mornings worth of work but I’d like to get ready.

I built an RO with 4x150s and an aquatek 8852.

Most of my trees are Reds so the RO is huge. Last year I was averaging about 1.5% sugar. I RO up to 6-7% before boiling. It worked well last year.

I’m on Trout Brook lane. If you ever go the the preserve I’m the house on the creek as you enter Bradley. You can see my lines from Bradley.

When are you thinking about tapping?

Sugar Bear
01-09-2021, 09:39 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your son. That must be very difficult for you.

I was just thinking yesterday how even without COVID, our lives are still so full of mysterious pitfalls even without COVID. And the thing about them is there is no way to know where most of them are coming from. At least COVID comes with a message from the sender.

I know your area fairly well. Its been a while, but I have hiked through the L Trust and eaten a blueberry or two.

Let me know if you need any help to get your season going. I can give you one full day for a 2 ounce sample of Red Syrup.

My operation only takes about 1 day to get ready to go. I only have about 40 sugar taps ( thinking of doing 10 reds this year )

I clean ( with a 1:20 bleach ) and then take my lines down each year and its not so bad work wise putting them back up.

If I scaled up in size at all, I think cleanup/setup would rapidly decline on the "enjoyable scale".

That is a nice sounding RO.

I have my sites still set on Feb 10 -15 but that could change to Feb 1 - 9, depending on the weather and the fact that 10 Reds may now be infiltrating my sap.

I do not think I will ever tap later then Feb 15 unless it is in the middle of a wicked cold snap.

It is possible I could move up to late January ( two weeks from now ) but I would need to see a good deal of HIGH quality sap flow days present themselves before I did that.

As for now we are getting some frost in the ground and some ice on the ponds at least.

I would definitely tap Reds before Sugars and be much more prone to spinning the bit early if it were into Reds.

I would also be prone to spinning early if I had a pump running the show.

bryankloos
01-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words.
We fought and beat it last year, but unfortunately it returned this November.
He's at Sloan now, recovering from one serious MF of a surgery. Its all so much. I'm working on the woods today to keep my mind off things.... Coping I guess.

I did swap out 77 CF Spouts and tightened my lines. Even crossed the brook and kept my socks dry!

I'll work up the 6 Vac gauges and cut those in today and call it quits.

After that its really just bringing down the pump setup, barrels, power and tying up the 1/2" transfer line to the IBC Tote.

I use the Mountain Maple Sap Sucker system. The thing is awesome!

If I get into a bind I'll be sure to reach out for help, or just another person to chat with.

I agree on the timing. All my lines are still frozen today. I'm at the bottom of the valley, and we seem to hang on to the colder air, easily 5F colder than the center of town.

I tapped Feb 1 last year and did very well. Things look colder in the 10 day, so its still too early for me.

Sugar Bear
01-09-2021, 12:25 PM
It makes me put things in perspective quickly. My trivial annoying issues of the past few weeks are so meaningless and easily repairable.

Don't hesitate to send me a message if you need some help with anything.

bryankloos
01-09-2021, 04:01 PM
My goal is never to try to put things in perspective for others, but yeah, I’ve learned not to sweat the small stuff.
I’ve also learned that there is still some good in humanity, and that ones friends really show their true colors when the **** hits the fan. I’m fortunate to have a great wife, two amazing kids, and solid friends.

If not before, I always have a cold beer or soda on hand when I boil. Happy to shoot the **** at any point.

therealtreehugger
01-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Bryankloos - just want to let you know that your son is in my prayers.

BAP
01-11-2021, 06:12 AM
Bryankloos, sorry to hear about the tough times you are going through. Thinking of you and your son, wishing for a speedy recovery. Even though it is tough to fit it in the schedule with all that is going on, having your sugaring to do will be a good stress reliever for the rest of your problems.

Agent914
01-11-2021, 08:59 AM
This weather is tap-tempting .... but I'm holding off to Feb. to complete home based projects (aka -making wife happy)

Gord
01-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Just for fun I looked at the farmers almanac for 2021.
This isn't encouraging.
Remember last year’s almost snow-free winter in the Northeast? Well, this year our prediction is very different, with the possibility of a blizzard hitting the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states during the second week of February. This storm may bring up to 1-2 feet of snow to cities from Washington, D.C. to Boston, Massachusetts!

Woodsrover
01-11-2021, 03:48 PM
Bryankloos, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Good luck to your son.

So I started tapping this past weekend and will finish up next. Expect first boil on the 23rd. I've heard rumors that there's guy who boiled two weeks ago in North Canaan.

A wise man once asked me "is the sap flowing?' Yes, I answered. "Then tap your trees."

Russ008
01-11-2021, 05:40 PM
I've tapped early before, Its the sweetest sap but when it stopped running I was disappointed with sugar content when it re-set. I don't get much time off work so I like to boil right through. I get real disappointed when I can't keep up with the flow. Looking at an evaporator upgrade. I've had this 18" by 38" for 15 years now. I'm trying to convince the bookkeeper(WIFE) its a good investment.

Ghost
01-12-2021, 03:48 PM
Tapped one string to get a sense of avg brix: 1.0, not much flow, most are frozen, as is the dog bowl.

bryankloos
01-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the nice words.
I’m still shooting for shortly after Feb 1.
I’m 97% ready to fire up the tapping drill.

Ghost
01-14-2021, 05:54 PM
Tapped one string to get a sense of avg brix: 1.0, not much flow, most are frozen, as is the dog bowl.

Today’s Brix: 2.0, and she ain’t named Deborah

bryankloos
01-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Ghost... You're gonna love that Mason 2x4XL. Its a beast!!!

lafite
01-15-2021, 01:48 PM
looks like a cooldown and some snow in the forecast. Feb 1st is my target date.

bryankloos
01-16-2021, 02:46 PM
That cooldown is exactly what I was hoping for...
I too am aiming for Feb 1 as the day I tap.
I'm hopeful for a good season!

Woodsrover
01-16-2021, 04:55 PM
All have all my taps in by tomorrow night and all my collection tubs in place and taking sap. It ran pretty well today.
Yes, looks like a cool-off for the next five days. I'll welcome the ice in the bottom of totes and tanks.

bryankloos
01-20-2021, 12:34 PM
The extended forecast has a nice freeze starting Friday night.
I'm happy to see a good freeze. Hopeful for my Feb 1ish tap date.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

therealtreehugger
01-20-2021, 02:12 PM
Working on getting ready. Just put up a new mainline, the old one was getting yucky inside. I did not follow the “keep it dry” rule for the off seasons. Now, I have to clean out the collection tank, and string up the laterals. I am trying new ends this year. When I first installed them, I (horrors) put nails in the trees to hold the tees in place and tight. It sort of worked, but I would rather not harm the trees any more than I have to. So the new ends are supposed to go around the tree and hook onto themselves. That is this weekends project. (I’m not sure yet if this is actually something that I can/should do ahead of time or should be done as I am tapping). The pan is clean and ready. I have firewood up the wazoo. I also need to get the RO bucket assembled, shouldn’t take too long. I will pick up some store bought water as an initial rinse.
Getting there!

therealtreehugger
01-20-2021, 02:20 PM
I also just found a hole in my roof. Yuck. In the barn where the sugaring is. Not a huge deal right now, but would like to replace the disintegrating shingles with a metal roof this spring, after mapling. For any CT people, does anyone have a personal recommendation for roofers? The pitch is roughly 45 deg. Not something I want to be climbing on myself.
Thanks!

Mike Van
01-20-2021, 05:46 PM
Where are you in Ct?

therealtreehugger
01-20-2021, 08:33 PM
North Guilford

Mike Van
01-21-2021, 03:54 AM
Too far from me to help you fix that leaky roof - You could just get a polytarp stretched over it, for now if you plan to replace it anyway. Make sure it's tied off well, even run some line over it in a few places to keep the wind from getting under it -

therealtreehugger
01-21-2021, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the thought Mike, I was also thinking of a tarp, just temporary.
Thanks!

Sugar Bear
01-22-2021, 08:34 PM
The extended forecast has a nice freeze starting Friday night.
I'm happy to see a good freeze. Hopeful for my Feb 1ish tap date.
How are the rest of you guys doing?

Thanks for showing me your RO the other day. Mine is about ready to go but I fear leaky fittings.

Difficult to gauge how tight is too tight on those fittings. I do know that I have cracked a couple of plastic fittings on jet pumps a time or two in the past. Think I might try to pre test my rig with no membranes in the canisters. Shut down valves on both waste and pure lines should get my pressure hi enough to test it??? I guess! Unless I am missing something conceptually. As I most frequently am.

I am still on target for Feb 10 - 15 ish. Could push up towards the 5th, but looking cold and glad I did not let the teaser days ( there have been quite a few ) suck me in ... so far.

Came down from the MRV in Vermont this afternoon. Plenty of snow packed into the Mountains and upper valleys now. Get on the boards and go if you can. Just got to stay out of the lodges I guess. Back Country skiers are having the mother of all blasts. Parked on top of each other at the gap trailheads. Hopefully they are not bringing sap lines down the hills with them.

bryankloos
01-23-2021, 05:49 AM
Thanks for showing me your RO the other day. Mine is about ready to go but I fear leaky fittings.

Happy to show you around the mine field. Its a fun little setup I have.

Close off permeate and concentrate lines and run without membranes... this should show you the leaks if they exist. Start with needles open, purge air/prime, and then slowly clamp outputs down while eyeing pressures. If you have leaks, you will see them.

I've got a few extra fittings lying around if anything needs replacing. I rummaged through my "bits drawer" and found all sorts of stuff I forgot I had. I tend to buy extra quantity knowing I will break things.

I did thaw out my hose and fire up the power washer the other day to clean my IBC and barrels. I think I'm officially ready to go, and I'm getting antsy.

My daughter tells me she wants to go up north to ski. My sources also tell me the snowpack is finally enjoyable. I may take a day next week to oblige.

We managed to get my son out of the house for a walk down to the mailbox yesterday. He's recovering well. Still on a feed tube, but doing well. One day at a time. The Docs were happy with the pathology reports, so I'm happy.

Pdiamond
01-23-2021, 09:52 PM
Bryan, If you don't mind me asking what is your son's name, I would like to include him in my nightly prayers.

bryankloos
01-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Bryan, If you don't mind me asking what is your son's name, I would like to include him in my nightly prayers.

His name is Boden, but we call him Bode, which is pronounced Bodie as in the skier Bode Miller, with whom he shares some mannerisms...
His sister is Anabel, and they are very close. So, if you are praying for him, if you don't mind adding one for her that would be super.

Thank you!

therealtreehugger
01-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Bryan - Bode looks like a trooper! I will include Bode and Anabel in my prayers.

Ghost
01-24-2021, 07:03 PM
I have some metal roofing that will soon be on Craigslist.

Pdiamond
01-24-2021, 09:28 PM
Got it covered. By the way the pictures are great. Thank You.

therealtreehugger
01-25-2021, 04:40 PM
I have some metal roofing that will soon be on Craigslist.

How much roofing do you have? I need to go figure out how much area I've got. rough guess, without going out to measure, maybe a 15 X 15 barn? I could be off.

Ghost
01-25-2021, 06:29 PM
Was 9x14, 45 degrees, so likely about 1/2 of what you’d need, maybe bit more.

gbeneke
01-25-2021, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=bryankloos;388931]His name is Boden, but we call him Bode, which is pronounced Bodie as in the skier Bode Miller, with whom he shares some mannerisms...
His sister is Anabel, and they are very close. So, if you are praying for him, if you don't mind adding one for her that would be super.

I and many others will be praying. Go Bode!!

Sugar Bear
01-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Bryan

Bode is ready to tap. But I will put him in my nightly prayers anyway.

Thanks for your offer on fittings. I did test my RO and to my utter surprise no leaks. I guess the threads are so small they seal pretty well with the tape. When I use larger polyvinyl on jet pumps I usually have leaks or crack the fitting trying to make them go away. Larger threads easier to leak ... even with tape ... I guess. Regardless I was in great fret I would be making a home sprinkler system instead of RO system.

Did have one small leak and it was the second temporary needle valve ( brass compression which I think was flawed ) at the permeate outlet only used in this test situation to build pressure in the membraneless system. The one at the waste line worked fine. Had a filter in the system and that was it. Tested at 100 PSI. Will probably run it a little higher with sap.

I hope its not one of those crazy sapless years now!

bryankloos
01-25-2021, 06:46 PM
Needle valves were a PITA for me too...
I found the ones with ferrules and tube supports, and they seemed to help.

therealtreehugger
01-27-2021, 10:23 PM
Ghost - just took a closer look at my barn - it is at least 15x15. most likely bigger. So thank you for the though on the roofing, but you are right, it is not enough.
Thanks

Mike Van
01-28-2021, 04:27 AM
The mild winter we were having seems to have turned more 'normal' I can't see any sap here in Kent anyway, for at least 10 days into Feb.

bryankloos
01-31-2021, 07:14 PM
I was thinking of tapping but now it seems I may hold off until the second week of Feb.
Things look pretty cold on the 10 day, with the exception 1 day...
I'm getting very antsy!

Has anyone else tapped yet, and if so how are things progressing?

BK

therealtreehugger
01-31-2021, 09:51 PM
Down closer to the coast, it looks a little more promising. I am also getting antsy!!! I might be tempted to start after this cold snap and snow, in a few days.

aviboy97
02-01-2021, 08:23 PM
I was thinking of tapping but now it seems I may hold off until the second week of Feb.
Things look pretty cold on the 10 day, with the exception 1 day...
I'm getting very antsy!

Has anyone else tapped yet, and if so how are things progressing?

BK

Last week looked like today was the day to tap, with beautiful weather on the horizon. Now, I see what you see. A day or two this week that look good, then back down below freezing until the 14th. March better stay cold or this will be an incredibly short season.

CTfarm
02-02-2021, 07:43 AM
According to the Saptapapp no subscribers to the app in CT have tapped yet. It will be interesting to see if that changes by the weekend.

CTSap4Maple
02-02-2021, 09:27 AM
The sap tap app buckets near me were overflowing Thurs-Fri, but now nearly empty. I’ll hold off til next week, which is a blessing as I have more prep to do!

Mike Van
02-02-2021, 05:56 PM
A dozen or so years ago, one February was so cold here I had no sap at all - 0 -

CTguy923
02-03-2021, 03:04 PM
i think i,m going to wait till the weekend of the 13th, hopefully mother nature will start to cooperate

Sugar Bear
02-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Nowadays people get angry at just about anything.

Especially a winter that somewhat resembles a normal winter.

Lets look at the bright side ... at least a few of the animals that should be hibernating this time of year actually are.

That's a good sign for a promising sugaring season to come and if the tank may not be half full with actual sap, at least it is still completely full with the spirit of things to come.

Woodsrover
02-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Not for nothing but I'd be willing to bet I'll have sap flowing when I get home from work tonight....
Maybe some the next three days as well.

berkshires
02-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I work in New Haven, and I bet the trees around here are flowing like crazy right now. Certainly the snow is all melting fast. And tomorrow and Sunday are both supposed to break 40. Good luck to anyone around here who's tapped already - away you go!

Gabe

bryankloos
02-04-2021, 06:16 PM
I managed to get my second COVID shot today, so depending on how I feel I may tap tomorrow...
I need a run to rinse/clear my lines. It may happen tomorrow.

Gord
02-05-2021, 09:08 AM
Nothing running here in the North East corner. I tapped a cluster of reds back in January. I wanted to run my new RO to see and fix any problems that might have come up. Ran 55 gallons through and all is well. Also wanted to check out all the new toys and gadgets I added to my evaporator and filtering process.
I don't see too much good sap running temperatures in my area for quite a while.

berkshires
02-05-2021, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I work in New Haven, and I bet the trees around here are flowing like crazy right now. Certainly the snow is all melting fast. And tomorrow and Sunday are both supposed to break 40. Good luck to anyone around here who's tapped already - away you go!

Gabe

Woodsrover, I didn't notice that you are way up in the Berkshires. Very different from coastal Connecticut! Did it turn out you got any flow, or did things stay all frozen up?

GO

Sugar Bear
02-05-2021, 12:00 PM
So my memory from tapping in the early 1970's is coming back to me this year.

Sap will not run so well on the first few promising days if they immediately follow a well frozen ground with a good size blanket of snow over it.

I guess we can all surmise ( need no proof ) that the ground condition and roots has a say in the matter of sap flow.

And give us all the more reason for us to be predicting record sap flow rates for this year. Perhaps at least for our region.

But life brings no guarantees, not even that there will be a this year or the entirety of it. For anything or anybody.

So more importantly then anything ... just make sure you have fun with ... and tie some good salmon fishing flies if ya got no sap to watch or equipment to set up.

And pray that the Canadian Border in navigable by late June so that one can even get to the salmon.

DrTimPerkins
02-05-2021, 12:31 PM
After a fairly cold spell, the water in the stem will be somewhat depleted due to sublimation of water vapor out of the branches into the air, so the moisture content in the tree starts out low, so flow will be minimal the first time or two there is a thaw. The soil in the woods rarely freezes solid more than a few inches at most, but if the snow is packed around the stem of the tree, the stem will be solidly frozen and water in the soil cannot be pulled up into the stem and branches until there is enough melt to get the snow away from the stem a bit. Once this happens, during a freeze water will be drawn up into the stem and branches and will flow out the next time there is a thaw. Kind of like priming the pump...it takes a little while for the process to really get going well.

Sugar Bear
02-05-2021, 07:35 PM
After a fairly cold spell, the water in the stem will be somewhat depleted due to sublimation of water vapor out of the branches into the air, so the moisture content in the tree starts out low, so flow will be minimal the first time or two there is a thaw. The soil in the woods rarely freezes solid more than a few inches at most, but if the snow is packed around the stem of the tree, the stem will be solidly frozen and water in the soil cannot be pulled up into the stem and branches until there is enough melt to get the snow away from the stem a bit. Once this happens, during a freeze water will be drawn up into the stem and branches and will flow out the next time there is a thaw. Kind of like priming the pump...it takes a little while for the process to really get going well.

Are you saying the roots that are below frost line will always be available for decent water/sap flow, but that the stem itself may not be? Especially if the frozen stem is insulated by snow surrounding it.

Woodsrover
02-06-2021, 06:24 AM
Woodsrover, I didn't notice that you are way up in the Berkshires. Very different from coastal Connecticut! Did it turn out you got any flow, or did things stay all frozen up?

GO

I've got 5 collection tanks 1/3 full of frozen sap. Looks like it'll stay that way for a while! :lol: Oh well, I'm not too worried and will see what happens when we start to thaw. It'll easily be the latest I've had my first boil since I began. I'm imagining a furious 3-4 weeks when the weather starts to warm....

DrTimPerkins
02-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Are you saying the roots that are below frost line will always be available for decent water/sap flow, but that the stem itself may not be? Especially if the frozen stem is insulated by snow surrounding it.

Often that is the case yes. Once you're more than a few inches below the ground (especially if there is snow cover), the soil/roots will not be frozen. However water in the stem above ground, especially with snow packed tightly around the trunk, is frozen. Sap can't move up from the soil though the frozen section into the stem until it thaws out some. Generally that happens when the snow starts to melt back from around the base of the tree.

Gord
02-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Just for fun I looked at the farmers almanac for 2021.
This isn't encouraging.
Remember last year’s almost snow-free winter in the Northeast? Well, this year our prediction is very different, with the possibility of a blizzard hitting the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast states during the second week of February. This storm may bring up to 1-2 feet of snow to cities from Washington, D.C. to Boston, Massachusetts!

Looks like The Farmers Almanac was right. More snow coming tomorrow too.

Sugar Bear
02-08-2021, 09:26 AM
Often that is the case yes. Once you're more than a few inches below the ground (especially if there is snow cover), the soil/roots will not be frozen. However water in the stem above ground, especially with snow packed tightly around the trunk, is frozen. Sap can't move up from the soil though the frozen section into the stem until it thaws out some. Generally that happens when the snow starts to melt back from around the base of the tree.

Soooo??? .... being that we have many sugar makers in the region who are angry that winter actually has the nerve to show up this year, can we alleviate their pain at least a little bit by telling them that if they spend this "lock down time" by shoveling the drifted snow away from the trunks of their maple trees that they may get expedited sap service when the atmospheric conditions for decent sap flow do arrive?

Mike Van
02-08-2021, 12:01 PM
easier to just blame all your woes on the groundhog -

Sugar Bear
02-08-2021, 03:26 PM
easier to just blame all your woes on the groundhog -

Its entirely possible I will be making Ground Hog Jerky in March rather then Maple Syrup. I do have a set living in a hole in the hill behind my shack.

Gord
02-10-2021, 08:24 AM
I have them too, and they haven't showed their faces in a long time.
I'm really missing those long, in to the night or next morning, boiling days.
And all my new syrup making toys are just sitting there.

DrTimPerkins
02-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Soooo??? .... being that we have many sugar makers in the region who are angry that winter actually has the nerve to show up this year, can we alleviate their pain at least a little bit by telling them that if they spend this "lock down time" by shoveling the drifted snow away from the trunks of their maple trees that they may get expedited sap service when the atmospheric conditions for decent sap flow do arrive?

They might be even more excited to know that "cold" winters generally have a stronger association with good syrup production years than warm winters. Cool, wet springs (think "sugar snow") are also good.

sjdoyon
02-10-2021, 04:20 PM
The cold and snowy days are making tapping difficult.21907

ir3333
02-10-2021, 04:39 PM
the longer we wait the longer the days get...
hopefully it'll hold off 'til mid March and there'll be an extra hour
of daylight and more sap daily!

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-10-2021, 05:50 PM
This is setting up nicely in our neck of the woods in western Maine. If we can start the season with 2-3’ or more of snow around the trees, it’s usually a good season. May be long, may be quick but a lot of snow in the woods is key. Buy some snowshoes!!:)

Sugar Bear
02-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Well I have stopped fondling my new Home built RO system and now just waiting. Glad I got the RO together as I suspect with all the sap coming tight this year I may well need it to keep my limited storage capacity from overflowing. Good timing.

FarmallCT
02-10-2021, 08:24 PM
Starting out this year with a new setup. Putting up Leader 3/4" mainline, 5/16" inch UNI-50 laterals, Max Flow Flex drop lines, and 5/16 clear check valve spouts. Aiming to have 200 taps up this year.

Was hoping to be tapping this weekend but currently have 18-24" of snow on the ground here in the Litchfield Hills and temps look to be staying down the next week or two. On the plus side now have extra time to get more lines up and put together drops on the colder and snowier days.

ir3333
02-11-2021, 09:27 AM
this has probably been asked but do you tap ahead of time when it's still too cold , or wait 'til you see an
upcoming freeze / thaw cycle coming in the long range forecast? I have always waited for a warm day so
the sap is running immediately when i drill.

berkshires
02-11-2021, 09:45 AM
this has probably been asked but do you tap ahead of time when it's still too cold , or wait 'til you see an
upcoming freeze / thaw cycle coming in the long range forecast? I have always waited for a warm day so
the sap is running immediately when i drill.

Yes, this has been asked many times. There is a ton of info on the question on this site already. Basically, what it boils down to (pardon the pun) is this:

Drill too soon and you risk your tapholes drying out before the end of the season - potentially before the best sap runs of the season.

There are many factors that go into the question of what is "too soon". Do some research and come back with more specific questions, LOL.

Cheers!

GO

Mike Van
02-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Maybe in a week or so? 21929

DrTimPerkins
02-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Drill too soon and you risk your tapholes drying out before the end of the season - potentially before the best sap runs of the season.

There are many factors that go into the question of what is "too soon". Do some research and come back with more specific questions, LOL.

The follow up to this excellent advice is....NO, if the first taphole dries out then don't just drill a second hole in the same tree (bad for sustainability in that the amount of internal wounding is too large) and NO, don't just ream the hole bigger/deeper when the first one dries out (essentially about the same or worse than drilling a second taphole in terms of the wound size that is created).

So, in short...producers on gravity (as opposed to vacuum) should drill at the right time just as or just before the regular season starts. When is the right time you ask? Now that's a difficult question to answer.

bryankloos
02-11-2021, 10:58 AM
The follow up to this excellent advice is....NO, if the first taphole dries out then don't just drill a second hole in the same tree (bad for sustainability in that the amount of internal wounding is too large) and NO, don't just ream the hole bigger/deeper when the first one dries out (essentially about the same or worse than drilling a second taphole in terms of the wound size that is created).

So, in short...producers on gravity (as opposed to vacuum) should drill at the right time just as or just before the regular season starts. When is the right time you ask? Now that's a difficult question to answer.

Assuming we are on vac, what are the options for tapping early? I have some friends coming this weekend and I would like to tap some trees with their kids. I don't see any decent flows in the near future, but want to involve the younger ones in the process. I have 77 taps on a 4008 with temp control. Can I tap and activate the vac (on temp control) without loss of longevity in the season?

DrTimPerkins
02-11-2021, 01:23 PM
Assuming we are on vac, what are the options for tapping early? I have some friends coming this weekend and I would like to tap some trees with their kids. I don't see any decent flows in the near future, but want to involve the younger ones in the process. I have 77 taps on a 4008 with temp control. Can I tap and activate the vac (on temp control) without loss of longevity in the season?

Yes, you should be fine at this point...ASSUMING that you are using GOOD spout/tubing sanitation practices.

I would also suggest you NOT put a drill in a kids hand unless you're not real concerned about yield. Drilling a taphole for systems on vacuum is critically important and easy to mess up. Choosing the right place to tap and keeping the drill really stable are vital. Maybe they can put spouts in and gently tap them in (with a small hammer, with supervision to teach them when to stop).

maple flats
02-11-2021, 01:26 PM
I second that, those too young or not trained properly can ruin a tap hole.

bryankloos
02-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys.
I'll drill and let them tap a few CV Spouts in...
They will get a lot out of the process, and are very excited.
Thanks.
Bryan

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-11-2021, 07:21 PM
Have fun Bryan, they’ll soak it up like a sponge. Took my granddaughter with me last year plowing the yard with the 4 wheeler for fun and just yesterday did it again and she ran the winch. Amazing what she remembered at 6 years old. Pretty soon they’ll be telling you what you did wrong while tapping :lol:

Ghost
02-11-2021, 07:50 PM
If they can handle the drill safely, I’d let them drill. Or hold the drill with them. Most kids want to do, not watch. Worst case you’ll have a leaky tap.

ecp
02-12-2021, 07:28 AM
I think getting kids involved is important. Probably let them hammer with supervision for this year. When they are old enough they can support a drill why not let them drill some with supervision. Yes it may lead to a yield loss on some taps because mistakes were make, but we are all human and have made a mistake before tapping (wait no I tap perfect every single hole every single time..... grin). Personally I would take a little yield losss and get the next generation involved and excited over the extra money. Have fun

DrTimPerkins
02-12-2021, 07:44 AM
I have no problem letting kids help. I coached and later ran a youth program (as a volunteer) in Vermont for nearly 20 yrs that was very much "hands off" for adults https://www.odysseyofthemind.com/ and was involved nationally and internationally. Was pretty much my and wife's full-time volunteer job for a really long time. So I do understand the importance and happiness of teaching and letting kids do new things. So if sugaring is a hobby and you don't really care about losing a little sap, go for it. But if you're the "every drop is precious" type or making syrup for a living, drilling the taphole is one of the last jobs kids can do. Lug buckets, get firewood, tap in spouts (after instruction and initial supervision)....no problem. Drill tapholes....no.

lafite
02-12-2021, 08:07 AM
I'm putting up my gravity lines tomorrow. I have help and I'll take it! The rest of the single trees will go in when 10 day looks promising. 3-4 more chances to snow here in southern CT this coming week...

Gord
02-12-2021, 09:40 AM
I'd say let the kids drill their own tree and put a bucket on those trees and have them be responsible for collecting the sap from them. Or, if they can't be there, let them know how much sap they got. Just like having their own icefishing hole and tilt. Or a corner of the garden where they planted seeds and have to weed that section and watch the seeds grow in to vegetables. They love that stuff!! Heck, my girlfriend picked out a tree and drilled a tap hole when I went to get more buckets last year. She was texting me all the time wondering how HER tree was doing. I'd have to take a picture of the bucket so she could see it.

ir3333
02-12-2021, 11:31 AM
I'd say let the kids drill their own tree and put a bucket on those trees and have them be responsible for collecting the sap from them. Or, if they can't be there, let them know how much sap they got. Just like having their own icefishing hole and tilt. Or a corner of the garden where they planted seeds and have to weed that section and watch the seeds grow in to vegetables. They love that stuff!! Heck, my girlfriend picked out a tree and drilled a tap hole when I went to get more buckets last year. She was texting me all the time wondering how HER tree was doing. I'd have to take a picture of the bucket so she could see it.

That's the way to do it!

therealtreehugger
02-14-2021, 05:25 PM
I tapped today!!!!

Couldn't wait any longer - like an itch that you just have to scratch. 43 taps on tubing. We had to finish running some tubing - all new this year so not as simple as just tapping, as I made sure it was straight, tight, and downhill so this time, I don't have to replace it after only three years. It was so nice to hear the drip-drip-drip in the sap bin after we were done! I still have about 25 buckets to put up in two of my neighbors yards. Maybe tomorrow, but will have to check the weather first.

Finally - the season has started!:D

FarmallCT
02-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Worked on finishing up the mainline and installing drops this weekend. At the end of today I have 500' of 3/4" mainline tubing installed plus around 1500' of 5/16" lateral lines and about 82 drop lines installed. By the time the last few laterals and drops are installed next weekend I should have around 130-140 drop lines installed.

Planning on tapping next weekend if the forecast stays steady.

bryankloos
02-14-2021, 07:59 PM
Tapped yesterday so that today's miniscule run could clear/rinse the lines.
I'll start collecting tomorrow but not expecting too much in the next week.
That said, the work is done, the vac is on, and I'm ready when the sap starts running!

Feels good to have the work done, and now just letting the system do its work.

CTfarm
02-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Put out about a third(33) of my taps today, buckets, bags, and 5/16 tubing. Old maples around the house were slightly running.

aviboy97
02-16-2021, 03:26 PM
Started tapping today. Got 26 taps in. Some had really good flow. Next few days look crappy, but after that should be money.

Woodsrover
02-16-2021, 05:55 PM
Started hanging buckets today at my 10 year old's son's insistence. (I haven't hung buckets in a couple years.)
We have a deal that he's very involved in the sugaring this year and will share in the profits.
We'll see how he feels about buckets come April when it comes time to clean them! :lol:
Look for 150 buckets and lids in the "For Sale" section next year!

pyro
02-16-2021, 08:21 PM
I'm usually late to tap compared to most of you. I'm on buckets. But I saw a day in mid 40s and decided to tap yesterday Feb 15. I didn't even check the buckets today to see if it was worth it! Prob should have held off another week, but oh well. I have a big project coming up so need to get maple started and cleaned up early this year.

TheNamelessPoet
02-17-2021, 11:50 AM
I started tapping 2 days ago. I was going to this past weekend but the weather didn't look great for the week then all of a sudden Monday it changed to getting 40's yesterday SMH.
I don't have many (15-20 and almost all Red's :( ) so I have been doing a couple when I get home from work. Ill probably get the rest done tonight, and when I see my neighbor ask if I can tap his 3 this year.

Hoping to have better luck this year than last year!

And as far as kid's... My 4 year old has been asking me daily, when can we start boiling. She isn't as interested in the tapping itself, so I have been doing that without her. But the last couple I am going to have her come out and at least hand me stuff. Her favorite part is going to all the buckets and collecting it into 1 bucket and seeing how much we can get. She actually just finished what we made last year about 2 weeks ago. It KILLED me to buy some in the store for her waffles in the morning lol

Mike Van
02-18-2021, 12:36 PM
The 22nd i'll be drilling holes - pretty tough walking right now, the crust on the old snow, the new powder over the old ice - Can't melt fast enough to suit me.

Gord
02-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Yes, it will be snowshoes for me this weekend. Plan on tapping around 40 reds, as all I have are reds on my property.

Person25
02-19-2021, 09:35 PM
sounds like we all went in at about the same time. I put in about 60 taps on tubing in Durham on Sunday the 14th, had a little run sunday and a good run overnight into monday before it froze back up on us. Collected 60 gallons, set up the RO on Tuesday and sent it through, plan to sweeten the pan tomorrow morning, then throw some of the first buckets up in Somers if i have time. Next week looks like better weather!

tommythetapper
02-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Tapped and hung about 75 buckets today in Portland. Should be a good run this coming week as the weather is supposed to moderate. Should be a good run over the next couple of weeks. Will keep a close eye on both daytime and nighttime temps. I suspect that we are going from too cold to too mild fairly quickly so I'm going to collect all I can over the next couple of weeks. Made about 14 gallons on 80 taps for the 2020 season and I hope to do the same this year.

Mike Van
02-21-2021, 04:19 PM
8 degrees here in Kent this morning - May start tomorrow, Tuesday for sure.

markgm
02-21-2021, 05:36 PM
I got 107 taps in today. I'm not expecting much tomorrow (a cloudy 37 won't thaw out anything), but I am hopeful the season will kick-off on Tuesday!

therealtreehugger
02-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Put up 14 buckets - 28 taps this afternoon in the next door neighbors yard. still have trees in the neighbor across the street. Maybe tomorrow!

So I volunteer at the Dudley Farm Maple Syrup Demonstration, in North Guilford. We are doing the demo sat and sun this past weekend, and the next two weekends. There was so little sap this weekend that we had boil water!

FarmallCT
02-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Finished installing lines and put 129 taps in today. Have a few more laterals I can put up so should be around 150-160 taps once those are up. Not much flowing with a high of 30, just enough to get a trickle in some of the drops. Hoping tomorrow will be sufficient to flush out the lines and can start collecting on Tuesday.

CTSap4Maple
02-23-2021, 10:06 AM
I tapped in about 50 taps on 3/16th tubing this am. Nothing running yet at 42 degrees. I am at 590’ elevation, so maybe another day for the trees to thaw.

Gord
02-23-2021, 11:00 AM
I tapped this past weekend at 716' elevation. Trees in full sunlight are running well. Woods trees, not so much yet.

aviboy97
02-23-2021, 06:16 PM
So, I tapped a week ago. Had some flow during the two days that were optimal and then another freeze came. Today, a few trees ran really well but most are doing nothing. Should I be concerned that I tapped too early or should I just be patient?

Ocelotsden
02-23-2021, 06:30 PM
They should be okay once the weather cooperates. I tapped a dozen trees on Sunday and they flowed a little bit that day, but stopped. Nothing at all today when I checked even though it got up to 40. This coming weekend I'm seeing mid to upper 20's at night and upper 30's and 40's in the day and lasting at least a week, so I'm expecting mine to start flowing then. I'm in the Hudson Valley area of NY so not a huge difference in temps, although you may be warmer since CT is closer to the coast than me.

aviboy97
02-23-2021, 08:05 PM
I’m in western CT little over an hour due East of you. We most likely have a very similar climate.

Tobey802
02-23-2021, 08:26 PM
Hopefully tomorrow things start running! I didn’t get anything at all today the temps hovered right around 35 in Warren. Waiting to put my mountain maple controller to the test.

Ocelotsden
02-23-2021, 08:39 PM
Hope so. I have this one big silver maple in my front yard that's 2 1/2 to 3 foot in diameter and on a good day it pours sap. I've gotten up to 7 gallons of sap from two taps in one day on that tree in past years. I put one tap in it on Sunday and got maybe a pint of sap that day or Monday, but when I checked mid day today, the tube was bone dry. I'm thinking by the end of the week. My only worry is that a few days are forecast to be right at or a bit above freezing at night and I need it colder at night, preferably hitting the upper 20's. fortunately in this case I usually run a few degrees colder at night than the forecast due to my particular location.

Nuch25
02-23-2021, 10:04 PM
Tapped on Friday 2/19. Started to see flow today finally in my buckets. I’m using 8 taps this year and turkey fryer. First year was last year and it made it all worth it to do it again.
2020 5 taps turkey fryer - 3200 ounces (16 200 ounce jars).

Plantsville, CT

CTfarm
02-24-2021, 06:24 AM
Finished tapping all 100 taps. The 30 on 3/16 in the woods were flowing pretty good. Some of the buckets and bags were too. The 5/16 taps in the woods not to much.
It was 28 degrees last night and suppose to be in the 40s today. I have high hopes.
Update: collected 62 gallons 1.9 brix

Rich R
02-24-2021, 10:34 AM
Flowing great today.

Sugar Bear
02-24-2021, 12:00 PM
Flowing great today.

How much snow do you have on the ground in your grove in Willington?

FarmallCT
02-24-2021, 08:19 PM
Tapped on Sunday, got a little drip out of the mainline yesterday, and a steady but small stream out of the mainline today. With 129 taps I would have expected more. Any thoughts?

Located at over 1200' elevation here in Warren CT. It is typically a few degrees lower than everywhere else and any forecast. Most of my trees are in the woods on a slight slope down to the north, though many boarder a small field with some in fuller sunlight. Curious if it just needs a few more warm days to warm up or if I need to fix something with my lines? This is a newly installed setup with 5/16 laterals with leader 5/16 check valve taps and 3/4 inch mainline.

Ghost
02-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Today’s brix 2.0. Same as January.

Mike Van
02-25-2021, 04:09 AM
"Tapped on Sunday, got a little drip out of the mainline yesterday, and a steady but small stream out of the mainline today. With 129 taps I would have expected more. Any thoughts?" Warren was always the coldest town we worked in [CL&P] in the winter - hated it - You need a little more time to thaw than the rest of us. Last night with no frost should help - I got about 100 taps in yesterday, age is showing. 40 more today, i'll be all in.

Gord
02-25-2021, 02:20 PM
Couple things.
This morning I had 3 moths. 2 in one bucket and 1 in another. All 3 alive. Thought it was a little early for that.
Also, this is the first time I've pulled a tap that was doing nothing after a few days, when the rest of the taps around it are running. I just went out to collect. This one particular tap is in a nice tree. Granted, all my trees are reds. The tree is healthy, the tap hole was clean and white, and it was tapped just like all the rest. The pail was bone dry. Today I pulled it, and tapped a smaller tree, maybe 15" in diameter, 10 feet away from the dry one. As soon as I drilled the new tree, the sap was running before I could get the tap in. This year, having the possibility of a short season, I won't be so hesitant to pull taps that aren't running. I have around 125 to 150 reds, and only put out 50 taps, so I don't think moving some around will affect the health of my trees.

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2021, 03:00 PM
Also, this is the first time I've pulled a tap that was doing nothing after a few days, when the rest of the taps around it are running. I just went out to collect. This one particular tap is in a nice tree. Granted, all my trees are reds.

That seems to be the case with red maples. Sometimes a taphole is just not productive for some reason. Happens more on gravity I think, but can happen on vacuum too.

ryansclzo
02-26-2021, 06:35 PM
Finally I had one of my 5 taps put out something today, was starting to get worried since it's my first time lol. I only got like 3 cups though

Sugar Bear
02-26-2021, 09:33 PM
Today’s brix 2.0. Same as January.

How are your January taps doing? Still producing?

Ghost
02-27-2021, 06:11 AM
Volume a little less than as trees tapped later, based on drip rate from 3/16. Have not tested brix, they all flow into the same tank.

A while back I read a study from Cornell that trees tapped early never fully catch up to trees tapped later. Still I like your “value” metric to get 80% of a maximum season in 4 or so boils.

CTfarm
02-27-2021, 08:00 AM
Brix are hanging around 2. Three days of collection have been 2.1, 1.9, and 2. The 30 taps in the woods on 3/16 have been flowing all 3 days really good. The buckets and bags a little less until yesterday, which was good The 11 on 5/16 in the woods just started to flow yesterday.

Sugar Bear
02-27-2021, 08:10 AM
Volume a little less than as trees tapped later, based on drip rate from 3/16. Have not tested brix, they all flow into the same tank.

A while back I read a study from Cornell that trees tapped early never fully catch up to trees tapped later. Still I like your “value” metric to get 80% of a maximum season in 4 or so boils.

Are you implying that if a tree looses some of its sap earlier in the season ( to a person or woodpecker ) it may reduce its brix on the sap it runs today??

What if it runs the sap in January but does not loose it. How would that effect the brix of sap run in March by that tree?

My TTT date was Monday.

Yesterday was my best running sap of the week on about 3 out of every 4 taps and perhaps at 60% to 70% of capacity on those.

Was hoping for full capacity on all by yesterday. A bit more thawing to go I suspect.

My brix on some BIG trees is slightly over 2% have not tested the smaller trees, but I bet a bit less.

Hoping for 3% by early March.

bryankloos
02-27-2021, 11:17 AM
My 250 gallon tote is almost full, expecting it to reach capacity this evening as I'm still collecting today. I was lucky enough to hit 29F last night.
Seems I'll be running the RO tonight and firing up the evaporator for my first boil tomorrow.
I hope the rains stay away tomorrow...

Ghost
02-27-2021, 02:23 PM
Yes, based on the Cornell paper.

Today’s Brix 1.3, and I don’t have an RO. Oye.

Woodsrover
02-27-2021, 04:06 PM
Collected 450 gallons this morning, ran it through the RO twice and lit the fire of the year. The collected sap was around 2.2 brix but keep in mind I still have sizable ice blocks in all my collection tanks. Didn't test it out of the tree. Drew off 3.5 gallons ready to bottle. Should have another 400+ gallons to boil tomorrow morning. With a sweep I hope to draw 5 or more gallons tomorrow? Guess we'll see!

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2021, 09:56 AM

Yes, based on the Cornell paper.

I'm not sure what paper in particular you are referring to, but I don't think that is what they were saying, or that is what would happen. I think you are referring to a paper that says if you tap earlier you'll make about the same amount of syrup as you would if you tap later. It is not what all the research has shown. Typically, IF you use vacuum AND you use good sanitation AND you tap early AND there is good weather for a few runs early, then you will make more syrup tapping early. Wilmot (UVM PMRC/UVM Extension) did that research several years ago. https://mapleresearch.org/pub/m0608tappingtiming/ Cornell (Orefice, then later Wild at Uihlein) repeated that https://mapleresearch.org/pub/retapmd1220/ A lot depends on how the year plays out, which you can't tell ahead of time.

bryankloos
02-28-2021, 03:18 PM
First boil of the season... It was a success.
I cant tell you how nice it was to spend time outside with the kids, especially my son who is bravely fighting cancer for the second time...
Two gallons of syrup, a pan full of sweet, and some fun lessons about RO, evaporation, and what makes sap good on pancakes!

MapleLady
02-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you had a perfect day! Just think... this is just the beginning of the season. May you have many happy family boiling sessions this season! :)

Pdiamond
02-28-2021, 08:05 PM
And your still in my prayers every single night. Looks like you had lots of fun. I miss those times with my kids.

therealtreehugger
03-01-2021, 07:56 PM
And your still in my prayers every single night. Looks like you had lots of fun. I miss those times with my kids.

Ditto!!

It so so great to see kids involved and have a blast!

Woodsrover
03-02-2021, 05:12 AM
First boil of the season... It was a success.
I cant tell you how nice it was to spend time outside with the kids, especially my son who is bravely fighting cancer for the second time...

Having two young boys myself I can imagine how overwhelming this must be. If there is anything I can do for you just reach out.

Woodsrover
03-02-2021, 06:34 AM
First boil this past weekend and bottled last night. Sadly no golden this year....First draw was amber. Oh well. Made 8 1/2 gallons.

Gord
03-03-2021, 07:39 AM
This past weekend was my second boil. Small time barrel stove. Boiled 50 gallons. Color was good. Pretty much the same as my first boil.

bryankloos
03-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Hmmmm....

The forecast is looking a little wonky.
Cold, with a warm up, and then too warm.
I'm hopeful that things cool off after the extended warming a week or so out and get us some more sap.
I'm trying to remember when I hung it up last year.
I've only collected may 20% of last years sap thus far...

Hmmmm...????

Sugar Bear
03-03-2021, 05:28 PM
It seems like its getting late early. I'm starting to wonder about this year.

Sap flow was fairly meager today for what I would expect.

In my first boil I had only 65 gallons of sap and 35 of that came from a run with 7 taps on it that had a column of sap 50 feet long from the tank, which generated 8 inches of mercury at the top of it.

My other 38 taps yielded only 30 gallons and had no vacuum generated on any of them.

This seems like a year where vacuum is a must.

I am either going to buy a cliff with a bunch of maple trees growing at the top of it or a nice pump.

Great that I got at least some vacuum and a new home built RO that made short work of my 65 gallons.

Thanks to all those who helped.

CTfarm
03-04-2021, 08:24 AM
Just to give you all a comparison, I've only collected around 280 gallons of sap this year. 5 qts of syrup and a pan of sweet still. This on a 100+ taps. Even my 30 taps on 3/16, which were pumping out the sap a week ago aren't doing much. Hoping to collect today from yesterday's late run and today's. Have to fire up the sweet either way.

bryankloos
03-04-2021, 09:05 AM
I’m in the same boat. I think I have maybe 300 gallons off my 77 taps.
My pan is sweet and I have over a gallon of syrup but I’m far behind last year.

I collected 40 gallons yesterday.
I hit 25F at my pump controller last night, so hopefully I get another 40+ today.
I need to fire up the pan regardless, but I’d rather have concentrate to trickle in vs just a boil to pass time...

Fingers crossed the second half of March fills the buckets!

Mike Van
03-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Looks to be one of those off years - Running great today, surprising too as it's 35 degrees and a cold wind -

Sugar Bear
03-04-2021, 06:08 PM
Very surprising. I don't believe it got below freezing last night at either of my two tap sites. Anyway ... generated my season high of 11 inches of mercury on my 5/16" natural vac run. Taped four Reds today with drops to buckets and they actually ran fairly well. That was a surprise too.

Woodsrover
03-06-2021, 03:11 PM
Fought ice today so I could boil for the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

I hate fighting ice.

lafite
03-07-2021, 07:05 PM
The next three days should be a sugar makers dream. I collected 35 gallons today after a late run. Let's hope the forecast comes to fruition!

bryankloos
03-07-2021, 09:09 PM
I can’t wait! Should be good.
I had 40 gallons today and plenty more over the next few.
March 10th is my Bday and I hope to spend it boiling!

Sugar Bear
03-09-2021, 08:32 PM
Lots of sap today.

My 5/16 run with 7 taps on it hit 16.5 inches of mercury today. Wonder if that will be the peak for the season.

CTfarm
03-10-2021, 06:23 AM
Finally! Collected 120 gallons yesterday. My 3/16 tubing, with 30 taps, tank was empty to begin with. Checked for leaks first. Nada. Then started to replace t's. Third one was blocked. Replaced it and the tiny bubbles zoomed by. Ready for another good run today.

FarmallCT
03-13-2021, 05:09 PM
Sap was flowing nicely today here in Warren. Good steady stream out the end of the 3/4 mainline into the tank. Have about 166 taps now. Was at 129 before two more laterals and 37 more taps earlier this week and today.

Not sure if its the season or just me but production seems a bit low given the number of taps. 150ish gallons Wed Feb 24th to Mon March 1st (5 days). 160ish from Mon March 1st to Wed March 10th (9 days, first several were the several day freeze). Currently 75ish in the tank since Wednesday night. Hoping the warmer weather with low 30s at night and the added taps will improve the flow, but still seems below what it should be for the number of taps.

therealtreehugger
03-16-2021, 05:10 PM
frozen up again today! "no sap for you!"
I am hoping for this week having a decent run then pulling the taps on sunday. Of course that is what the forecast looks like now. I am just leery of going too late, and am expecting the trees to start budding out soon.

bryankloos
03-16-2021, 06:53 PM
Same boat here...
I'm seeing a few more good days ahead in the short term, but next week looks like the end.
I'm hoping to get another 200 gallons for one final boil.
I'm still way short of last years total.
Oh well.
I need to get everything bottled as well, so I still have work to do!

Sugar Bear
03-17-2021, 08:46 AM
Being that I tapped on Feb 24 I am not yet 3 weeks old on my taps. So if I get one more good run which I suspect I will, it will put within 80% of my expected take of sap for the season. Although I still have hopes for near 100% of my expected take.

I have developed another good frost line in my woods the past several days so hopes remain high.

Mike Van
03-18-2021, 02:25 PM
It's dying here, 80 gal. pickup today where last week was 180. A few trees had empty buckets [except for dead moths]

Sugar Bear
03-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Had a decent run of sap back half of yesterday followed up by a night run. Still running today in the rain a bit. All sap is still fairly clear.
Another boil tomorrow.

bryankloos
03-18-2021, 04:03 PM
I collected another bit yesterday through the night and into today.
I’m expecting decent runs through Monday and that should be it from what I’m seeing.
Soon it will be time to boil, bottle and then tear down all the gear.

I’ve been sitting on a pan full of sweet and sap that’s a few days old. Fortunately my tanks were frozen up until yesterday so the sap should still be good. That said, I’m sure it’s cloudier than I’d like... oh well. It’s that time of the year.

Woodsrover
03-18-2021, 06:04 PM
I'll collect what I can Saturday night and boil all day Sunday. I get what I get. With luck another 5 gallons or so Sunday which will bring my total up to 30 gallons. All things considered not too bad.

On the positive side a dairy refrigeration guy finally came to the house to look at my milk tank. Thought it was an easy retrofit to a smaller compressor unit and no big deal.

CTfarm
03-19-2021, 06:58 AM
I collected 95 gallons yesterday. That puts me at 930 gallons for the year. Expecting 200 to 250 this weekend. That will put me at where I wanted to be for the year, around 1100 to 1200 gallons of sap on 110 taps.

Person25
03-19-2021, 09:53 AM
Just went out and collected my last 55gal drum off the tubing for the season, which was overflowing since yesterday evening.... Lines are all frozen today anyways. Sap is cloudy and starting to not taste so good. Puts me about 1200 gallons of sap on 75ish taps. Not terrible though it was a very spotty season. Seemed like all or nothing on any given day.

I’ll boil off the last bit tomorrow and start bottling the take Sunday. I suppose I’ll have some sweet to finish off over the propane as well. Considering I tapped Super Bowl Sunday and it’s still ‘running’ I’d say that ain’t too bad though usually I call it quits much earlier than this because I’ve reached my quota of fun and syrup this year seemed to drag on.

Starting to clean up and sanitize the collection gear this afternoon, take the taps out sometime in the coming days. Regroup next week and refill the wood pile for next year. Hope you all had a decent year!

therealtreehugger
03-19-2021, 05:21 PM
Sap ran good today! Practically nothing the few days prior. I will be boiling tomorrow, and maybe Sunday if I don't finish it all. I had maybe 60 gal in my ss tank that has been frozen for the past few days, plus todays' and tomorrow sap.
I would like to say that I will be able to get through it all tomorrow, but chances are not, unless I go really late. I can't start til early afternoon. My rig is simply not giving me the heat and boil it did last year. I have/had a pile of wood that was not the best that I needed to use up, so I am blaming it on that, but it is mostly gone, so hopefully tomorrow's boil will be better.

Woodsrover
03-21-2021, 05:12 PM
All done. Finished 5 gallons yesterday and another 5 gallons today for a total on the year of 35 gallons. Not too bad all things considered.

Left 4" of thick sap/thin syrup in the pans and will come back to it in two or three months.

Will pull down lines this week and finish washing totes and tanks.

Sad to see the season end.

bryankloos
03-22-2021, 07:30 AM
That's a wrap!
Finished my last boil yesterday, with a pan of sweet to ferment.
I'm unsure of my total syrup yield, but I m expecting to be near 15 gallons. Sap yield was well below that of last year. Oh well... It was fun.
Time to clean totes, pull taps, sanitize lines, and stow the gear until next year.
Thanks for the support, good humor, and help along the way.
I hope you all have a great off-season.
Be well.
Bryan

Gord
03-22-2021, 07:54 AM
My plan was to collect my last batch on Saturday, boil on Sunday and take everything down today. I actually had my best sap run of the season between Saturday night and this morning. Most buckets were overflowing, and the sap is crystal clear to boot!

Rich R
03-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Still running nice and clear in Willington. Hoping to get a few more days

TheNamelessPoet
03-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Still running nice and clear in Willington. Hoping to get a few more daysI am just down the road in Tolland but its lookin like tomorrow will be it for me. I had one tree Going to take Wednesday off to boil what I can, and clean everything I think. All in all I should have over a gallon and considering last year I only had 30 oz.

lafite
03-22-2021, 04:59 PM
pulled my taps today. I dumped 40 gallons of clear sap which was still just a hair under 2%. I boiled Friday and Saturday to finish the season. 13 gallons. It was a fast and fun season!

therealtreehugger
03-22-2021, 05:30 PM
Done for the season - pulled the taps on the buckets yesterday. It was so nice not to come home and first thing have to collect! Boiled sat and sunday, drained as much as I could from the pan and then flooded it with the last remaining sap. Still have to finish and bottle. I had a little over 5 gal from the previous weeks, and I will probably have over 5 gal from this weekend, so I might actually make my goal!

Gord
03-23-2021, 09:20 AM
I dumped 40 gallons of clear sap which was still just a hair under 2%.

Wish I was closer to Cheshire! I would gladly make use of that!

Sugar Bear
03-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Great Season

Taps in Feb 24 ... Taps out March 23.

My favorite season so far. Mostly due to the home built RO. The stuff is mind blowing. Thanks to all the MapleTraders for the help on that one. Made about half my syrup using good dry Ash bark and Black Locust bark. Lots of refueling but man what biomass that stuff is when its dry. Had flames shooting two feet out the top of my stack. Looked like the aft burner on a F16! Kept lots of throwable sap nearby.

Had my first cook over out of the steam pans. Lost a quart or two of syrup. Not used to getting to syrup so quickly. Made that mistake one time, hopefully not again.

Finished with 10+ gallons on my 50 taps. Over 80% of my expectations.

More sap then other years. Less sugar content then other years. Never saw more then 2% on the Grand Daddy Maples. Small sugars 1% large sugars 1.5% was the general trend. Saw 1/2% on Red Maples and Silver Maples. Thank Jesus himself for the RO membrane or I would be boiling into July.

My two new Silver Maple taps ran profusely. Even still running today. Did not think they had it in them.

Still have a bit of good sap flowing today but the writing is on the wall.

Peaked at 17 inches of mercury on a 7 tap 5/16 tubing run. Not sure about my other runs. Will check them next year. All my tube runs are still putting out a bit potable sap. Especially the 17 incher. Vacuum gauges are cool. Natural vacuum is even cooler. Now wondering how high people have gotten on 5/16 natural.

Wondering if anybody has ever considered doing union connections between different natural vacuum runs in order to increase sap column size at times of low flow???

Glad I did not tap any earlier then Feb 24! Started to have my doubts in early March, but I suffer anxiety attacks like everybody else.

But anxiety is a killer of good things to come so steer clear of it.

Mike Van
03-25-2021, 11:42 AM
I'm done too, took my last buckets down this AM. Would up boiling just over 1900 gal/sap - Now for the cleanup..............

aviboy97
03-30-2021, 08:55 PM
Definitely was a short season. Had a higher yield last year for sure.

Question, my syrup has an after “bite” this year. Can’t figure it out. It’s not bitter and not sour. Anyone have any suggestions as to why?

All my equipment was cleaned with white vinegar and hot water. Didn’t use spoiled sap. I boil on an evaporator.

Any suggestions?

woodguyrob
03-31-2021, 05:33 AM
Definitely was a short season. Had a higher yield last year for sure.

Question, my syrup has an after “bite” this year. Can’t figure it out. It’s not bitter and not sour. Anyone have any suggestions as to why?

All my equipment was cleaned with white vinegar and hot water. Didn’t use spoiled sap. I boil on an evaporator.

Any suggestions?a

I noticed a similar taste in our last batch of the season..astringent/ dry in the back of the tongue not bad but noticeable. Some honey I've produced had similar qualities.