PDA

View Full Version : Holding ceramic rail gasket in place

Arctic Fox
11-14-2020, 09:07 PM
How do you hold ceramic rail gasket to the rail of the arch? I know it's not going to move with the weight of the pans on it, but I'm concerned about it moving when I take the pans off to clean. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Brian
11-15-2020, 01:37 AM
Most change it after removing the pans, most of the time it rips and stickes to the rail or pans. That is why most have gone to the thin wide rail gaskett that look like awoven belt.

buckeye gold
11-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Most change it after removing the pans, most of the time it rips and sticks to the rail or pans. That is why most have gone to the thin wide rail gaskett that look like awoven belt.

Ditto, this. I use a putty knife to scrape off the rail and pan. If doing new then and your worried about it moving when putting the pan on then I'm not sure. Maybe a very small drop of something sticky every few inches. I have never worried about it I am just careful to set the pan down right without any scooting. It's not something you do by yourself unless you have some form of mechanical lift.

mainebackswoodssyrup
11-15-2020, 06:27 AM
You can use the adhesive for wood stove gasket/rope but only a few dabs to hold it in place or it will be a pain when it’s time to replace the ceramic. The woven gasket material works best.

Barkley
11-16-2020, 11:13 PM
High heat silicone, the reddish orange colour. Run 2 beads the length of the arch and place the woven belt gaskets on top with some weight to press it down flat while it cures. Found that it works well and stays in place over the seasons.

amasonry
11-17-2020, 04:34 AM
I just use a little painter's tape. when the pan is on I remove.

ennismaple
11-17-2020, 08:40 AM
High heat silicone, the reddish orange colour. Run 2 beads the length of the arch and place the woven belt gaskets on top with some weight to press it down flat while it cures. Found that it works well and stays in place over the seasons. Ditto. The gasket under our flue pan hasn't been changed in 10 years. Because the front pan comes off the arch daily we need to change the front pan gasket every 3 or 4 years. We generally use 2 layers.