PDA

View Full Version : Coffee maker filtering unit

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Ok, Ive had it up before and it got removed.
But, anyway
Mabe somebody can give a good plan for useing an building an older type coffee maker as a filtering unit.

I would like to make one somehow??
Any suggestions will help?? 8)

Chuck

Al
03-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Just picked up a 60 cup coffee maker the other day. Take out the guts and your ready to go. I use a cone filter with paper filters inside with a couple of clamps around the side to hold the filters up. Works great!! When I'm ready to bottle I turn it on for about 10 minutes the the syrup is ready. Easiest thing I've done so far.
Take care

Salmoneye
03-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Al has it...If you don't have clamps, use new, clean clothespins...I use 3-4 around the rim with a couple-three 'prefilters' inside of a synthetic cone and draw off directly into the coffee urn...

It really is the cheapest most amazing piece of equipment...

MaineMapleDave
03-22-2004, 06:16 PM
A new one to me, but I like it.

So, my assumption is that you finish the syrup to proper density prior to putting it in the coffee urn, then just use the urn to heat it up to temperature for botting or jugging.

Is that really all there is to it?

{Running off to check prices on stainless steel coffee urns............}

Al
03-22-2004, 07:14 PM
That's it!!! Look around you can find second hand ones pretty cheap. Mine holds about 2 1/2 gallons of syrup. :D
Take care

Salmoneye
03-23-2004, 05:41 AM
If you finish to where you want it and then filter it into the urn (or 'refilter' into the urn), it will basically do the rest...

I set my cycle to run and it will bring the whole urn up to 190 in about 10 minutes...Maybe a bit more depending on initial temp...

newguy
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
coffee urn sounds like a great idea. Last year, my wife and I lost a whole batch we finished on the stove. When we poured it into the filter, for a last filter before bottling, the syrup would not go through! When we dumped it back from the filter to the sauce pan, it was of course filled with ashes, etc. that was inside the filter. Ended up down the drain. Big loss for a small operation. Wasn't sure why it got clogged. Was I not supposed to use the same filter for post backyard boildown AND stove inside finishing?? :?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Either your syrup was not hot enough or the filter was clogged. One thing to remember is that the syrup needs to be boiling or close to it to go through the filter. The hotter it gets, the thinner it is and the colder, the thicker. Also, it was likely your filter was clogged from the first filtering due to sugar sand, dirt and ash from you boil.

If it happens again, clean the filter and get the syrup really hot and it will go through with little effort. :D :D

MaineMapleDave
12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
'kay, I don't want to miss anything here. I tested my coffee urn last night, and the water temperature only got up to about 170, starting with 40-ish degree tap water.

So, my thinking is: bring the syrup up to a boil, re-filter it hot into the coffee urn, turn the urn on, and let it keep the syrup hot. My assumption is that the combination of heating element and boiling syrup will keep it at or above 180.

Is it really that easy?

Yes, it has been ages since my last post, but the snow on the ground is re-igniting the maple fever.

syrupmaker
12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Kinda funny ain't it. Most people associate snow with Chistmas,sledding and the new year! Not us maple freaks though. We're thinking cold,snowpack,And how high the tap holees will be come end of the season?

Rick

MaineMapleDave
12-07-2004, 09:53 AM
And a maple equipment catalog came in yesterday's mail!!! Mumma saw it, groaned, mumbled something like "it begins again.............."

syrupmaker
12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Dave if you got yours yesterday mine should be close by.Most likely get the same response from my bride. :roll:

Rick

Al
12-07-2004, 10:40 AM
It's that easy. Never had any problems yet. Cross my fingers. :D
Take care

mapleman3
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
talkin about the new Waterloo catalog?? Got mine today!! 8)

SWEET

Seibold's Sugarhouse
12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
What type of coffee urns do you guys use, stainless or Aluminum? I'm looking on ebay for a used one and I found a couple, most used are aluminum, most new ones are stainless. Any opinions??
Also, I only have 100 taps is a 30 cup big enough, or should I only look for a 60 cup?
Thanks,
Jason

Al
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Jason. I have both kinds and they both work. I would go for a 60 cup if you can find one. My 30 cup would get pretty full on just 76 taps. I purchased my 60 cup stainless from a used appliance store for $15. I think. Anyways it was cheap. :D
Take care

Al
12-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Had to check my album. In my album pictures the hot water heater is the 60 cup. The next picture the 30 cupper is in it right beside my son.
Take care.

Seibold's Sugarhouse
12-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Al,
I can't believe you got that stainless 60 cup for $15!!! I'm looking at one thats very similar on ebay for almost $40 plus about $25 for shipping.
You got a great deal.
Jason

brookledge
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Dave,
Just use a candy thermometer to keep an eye on the temp. You should not let it get below 180 and not over 200 when you are re-heating.Under 180 yeast or mold can grow and over 200 syrup darkening will occur. Also keep containers apart to cool to avoid stack burn. Why take chances? If someone buys syrup and opens it and finds mold they probably will never buy from you again. Maybe you can look inside the coffee pot to see if you can ajust or turn up the temp.
Keith

MaineMapleDave
12-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Worked a charm. All I did was bring the syrup to a boil (it's dark to begin with), poured it into the coffee urn, turn it on and bottled away. Kind of a precarious setup, because I had to put it on top of an inverted pot to get the bottles in it, but it worked. Temp never got below about 190. Small coffee urn, so I just refilled it when it got low.

AND, I discovered a use for all those children's clothes-hangers that we end up with. The ones that have two metal and plastic clips to hold the adorable clothes with make utterly awesome hangers for drying filters. The hangers are about 10 inches or so wide, and clipping alternate tabs on the felt filter to the hanger holds the filter nicely open to dry.

It's the small things in life.........