PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon barrel cut in bung-holes?

berkshires
11-02-2020, 09:37 AM
I'm planning to expand my operation a bit, and need to buy one or two 55 gallon barrels for sap collection. Seems like the optimum barrels would be ones where the top is removable for cleaning, but you can just open a bung-hole for filling it as you haul it around. Home Depot sells this, but it's a lot of $$: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EarthMinded-55-Gal-Open-Top-Plastic-Industrial-Drum-with-Lid-and-Lock-band-Off-color-PFR55-OC/302608907

On Craigslist I've seen used barrels, but they typically either have open tops, or bung holes, but not both. I thought I remember seeing someone write up a how-to here, that explained how he made sealable bung-holes in his, but I can't find it now. Or maybe it said how to remove the top? I guess if I could get one with a removable top, and add sealable bung-holes in the top, that would be great.

Anyone know the post I'm talking about? Or have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gabe

red/one
11-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Cut a hole in the top and put in a bulkhead fitting?

phil-t
11-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Banjo Fitting (like was mentioned as a bulkhead fitting) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079JTX3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
You will need a holesaw for the installation.

red/one
11-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Banjo/Bulkhead. Correct!
https://www.amazon.com/Banjo-TF200-Polypropylene-Bulkhead-Fitting/dp/B0079JU91A/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=2%22+Compression+Bulkhead+Fittings&qid=1604347234&s=industrial&sr=1-8

TapTapTap
11-02-2020, 05:27 PM
I typically think of short squatty tanks for sap collection so that it can be transported in the sugarbush without risk of tipping over. And with a large opening to dump your buckets without spilling.

maple flats
11-03-2020, 08:41 AM
I'd be cautious using that barrel from Home Depot. It seems to me if it was food grade it would say so. It does not! I see the question was asked but found no answer.
I fear is that the barrel is made using recycled plastics.

maple flats
11-03-2020, 08:58 AM
A few producers have carefully cut out the top on a food grade 55 gal or even a 275 gal caged tote (IBC) so a 5 gal food grade bucket fits in tightly. They then drill a few holes in the bottom fir the bucket to drain into the barrel or IBC. They then can snap a food grade lid on the bucket. To try this, get a food grade 55 gal barrel. Then hold the food grade bucket on top and trace around the bottom. Then cut 1/4" outside the line. Food grade 5 gal buckets and lids are available at Lowes (likely Home Depot and others too) just be sure they are labeled FOOD GRADE, otherwise they are made with recycled plastic which could have contaminates in it. 55 gal food grade barrels are available, as are used IBC totes. If going with an IBC be sure it had a food product originally and that it was not a strong flavored one. Good choices are apple juice, vanilla extract, orange juice and such, not a good choice to have had pickles or a strong sauce or such.
That cutout allows you the cleaning access. Another option, you can buy 12" and larger food grade bulk head fittings with a screw on lid.

Zucker Lager
11-03-2020, 10:28 AM
This is how I did my collection barrel. The removable top tends to leak so I used a food grade closed top cut a hole in the side and plastic welded in a bottomless bucket that I can snap on a lid for travel. I use a Gator ATV and the wooden cradle fits in the bed then strap it down. Jay

21595 21596 21597 21598