PDA

View Full Version : Leader 2x4 Vermonter Raised Flue

Ross
10-28-2020, 07:24 AM
In the new Leader catalog I see they are now offering a 2x4 Vermonter pan. What caught my eye was that it is a raised flue. At first I thought it was a typo but the float valves are inside the pan. This seems like an nice hobby pan. The Youtube video I found says it retails for $1850 which is a good price point. I can't wait to see some reviews on it. Has anyone offered a raised flue Vermonter pan before?

https://youtu.be/yTtmOLiV3Pk

n8hutch
10-28-2020, 09:19 PM
Small brothers made a 2x4 hybrid in the 80s , 2x3 raised flue section, think it was 8, 4" flues, and a 2x1' 2 compartment syrup pan. I think Grimm made one similar.

fisheatingbagel
10-29-2020, 12:39 PM
I assume that's for pan only. That's a pretty good value for a raised flue with floats included. Too bad it's a "hybrid" pan, but it's built to a nice price point.

mspina14
10-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Bill Mason makes a 2X4 raised flue evaporator:

Mark

Ross
10-30-2020, 05:00 AM
Yes. Bill's pan is very nice! I had never seen a raised flue hybrid pan before.

Johnmn
12-05-2020, 07:20 AM
I am interested in both the new leader Vermonter pan and the Mason raised flue pan. I have talked Bill and leader, but I'd like to hear more feedback if possible.

m2salmon
02-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know the efficiency of the Leader Vermonter 2x4 hybrid pan? Leader is local and I’d like to buy from them but to me Smokey Lake is way out front of them and Lapierre in terms of published materials to allow consumers to make the most educated decision. Smokey Lake is also made in the US so I wouldn’t feel bad giving them my money either!

Ross
02-01-2021, 12:39 PM
Great question. The Leader has 11- 5 inch flues with internal float valves and the SL 8- 5 inch flues with external floats.

I got a solid 15gph with my SL last year using natural draft and boiling outside. It's rated for 15-20. I'd think the Leader would be very similar.

tombaisley
03-26-2021, 06:55 AM
I spoke with Bill Mason and he no longer offers the raised flue evaporator, I 'm looking at the Vermonter 2X4. I get 12gph all night long with out even trying hard on my mason 2x4XL, I would like to know what to expect from the Leader pan

Vtmbz
03-26-2021, 07:28 AM
I had an old Leader Vermonter 2/4 drop flue (circa 1998) and switched to aSL 2/4 last year. Both are good and make the same amount of syrup more or less. My SL is the badger land model, if that matters.

My leader had the inside float, which worked well but was hard to clean around being in the channel. I ended up making an outside float box, which was not easy to do.

My SL has an outside float box, but the syrup pan itself will not drain dry. This seems like a small thing but makes daily wash downs very tedious. The Leader pan had cutouts between channels that are flat to the bottom, and it drained completely. It has to do with how they fold up the dividers when making the pan. I haven’t seen a new leader, so maybe everyone makes pans the same way now.

This means that there is 1\4” of syrup in the pan that you can’t get out, so you have to run higher during a boil. It was a shock the first time I drew off. I had hot syrup and it wouldn’t run out! I have to boil deeper than I would like because of this.

Larger pans probably don’t mind this, but in a 2/4 it’s a problem.