PDA

View Full Version : what to do with 'almost syrup'

Gord
10-08-2020, 10:03 AM
I'm a small time boiler, always boiling less than 50 gallons of sap at a time. I have an undivided pan. I start with wood and finish with propane. For me 50 gallons is an all day affair, sometimes going in to the next day.
My question is, if I boil 50 gallons down to 3 gallons, what can I do with the 3 gallons if I can't finish it for whatever reason? Can I put it in a refrigerator, and if so, how long can it stay in there before I have to finish it? Freezing it seems like a good idea, but won't that take forever to get melted and back up to boiling and finishing?
I ask these questions because I have never stopped boiling and finishing in the same day, but have read on this forum where people do stop, do to time restraints or other reasons.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Zucker Lager
10-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Hey Gord I do exactly that all the time. I have a 2 by 3 open pan and do single batches about 50 to 60 gallons of sap. Sometimes I run out of time and will store my almost syrup in a 5 gallon stainless keg. I run it into the, clean, sterilized, keg hot then seal it up and if I can refrigerate, otherwise I don't let it sit more than a few days at room temp. before finishing. I have stored it in the refrigerator in a well sealed container for 2 weeks and didn't have a problem. If you use a sealed container to store hot sweet sap it will suck air when it cools down and I think that is where some contamination will enter and start problems. I also made a stainless steel cover that I sometimes cover my pan with just for overnight then boil the next day again. Jay

DrTimPerkins
10-08-2020, 12:46 PM
If you get it fairly dense and can put a cover on it to prevent contamination, it is unlikely to spoil for a few days (as long as you don't add fresh sap to it until you're ready to boil again). Partially boiled sap/syrup will keep in an evaporator for a few days (depending on the temperature and contamination source). If you can't boil again for several days, refrigerate it or hot pack it into something temporarily. Freezing will get you a longer storage time, but also take longer to reheat. Alternatively you can just bring it to a boil for 5-10 min every couple of days to kill whatever might have started to grow.

Gord
10-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Thanks Zucker and Tim.
That puts my mind at ease. I'm still on my own custom barrel evaporator and keep adding different things to the operation every year. I just upgraded my evaporator with a blower to speed things up a bit. I still plan on around 50 gallons per boil, but it would be nice to be able to finish it the next day or day after. I know it's just watching water boil, but starting at 5:00 in the morning and finishing clean up after midnight is a long day.
Thanks again!

SeanD
10-09-2020, 06:29 AM
No need to explain here. Just about everyone on this site, especially the hobbyists, has experienced those days. The problem is every time we add efficiency, we add taps!

Gord
10-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Exactly Sean! Adding 20 more taps come tapping time!

Pdiamond
10-09-2020, 09:41 PM
Maybe its a good time to look for a used divided pan pan that will fit your arch and you can boil and finish all at once.

Gord
10-10-2020, 08:24 AM
Agreed. That just might be next year's addition to the process.

ir3333
11-28-2020, 10:37 AM
boil to near syrup and store in clean containers in a cool place until all boiling is done. After settling for a couple of weeks the near syrup
will be nearly crystal clear. Carefully pour into your finishing pot leaving the sediment behind and finish on propane.Your Orlon
filters will be hardly dirty at all.
A good time to blend a too light early batch with a too strong last dark batch!

CTguy923
11-28-2020, 02:27 PM
so if your storing your syrup to finish once done boiling, would a clean food grade 5 gallon bucket with lid be ok ??, or do you need some type of stainless container ??

ir3333
11-28-2020, 04:03 PM
I just use regular clean buckets ( with tight fitting top) and store in a cool/cold place.
You are going to sterilize it again when you boil it for finishing and filtering.

Trapper2
12-27-2020, 09:01 AM
No need to explain here. Just about everyone on this site, especially the hobbyists, has experienced those days. The problem is every time we add efficiency, we add taps!

Isn't that the truth!! Adding two or three more 30 tap lines this year. Just look at my signature and you see the growth. Lol