PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on trench drain

Maple River Sugar
09-29-2020, 03:49 PM
I will be installing two trench style drains on both sides of my 2 x 8 evaporator. The floor has already been poured and the floor will need to be cut and the drain installed then concrete added back.

My questions are metal or plastic and should it run the whole length of the evaporator. Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

TapTapTap
09-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Plastic ones come in slick modular pieces like pipe. But I'd use metal if you have heavy loads on it which could be the case if you change out your rig someday. You also need to consider how wide and deep and the plastic ones I've seen aren't either. I also suggest about a 1/4 inch per ft slope to make it drain well and plumb so they're easy to clean.

DrTimPerkins
09-29-2020, 06:11 PM
If you will ever be putting hot water through it, go with metal. I’ve seen plastic pipe get seriously deformed and separated by hot water, resulting in huge amounts of water dumping under the floor. A recipe for floor movement.

Brian
09-29-2020, 06:35 PM
This is what I used from lowes, works great and run boiling water off the evaporator down it with no problems. 100 to 150 gallons of hot boiling water. NDS 10-ft L x 5-3/4-in W x 5-3/4-in dia Channel Drain Kit
Item #737426Model #400-10RTL
The 10 Foot Spee-D channel drain comes with a pre-assembled grate

Collects and removes excess water from driveways, patios and any other outdoor areas

Fits with 3-in or 4-in pipe when connected to the Speed-D channel bottom outlet or end outlet

Shaun
09-29-2020, 06:51 PM
You can search self pitched concrete drains. They provide proper pitch based on the depth of a level trench depending on which sections you buy. They are commonly used in firehouses when washing trucks. A trench drain of any kind will be a great addition.

TapTapTap
10-03-2020, 06:57 AM
This is what I used from lowes, works great and run boiling water off the evaporator down it with no problems. 100 to 150 gallons of hot boiling water. NDS 10-ft L x 5-3/4-in W x 5-3/4-in dia Channel Drain Kit
Item #737426Model #400-10RTL
The 10 Foot Spee-D channel drain comes with a pre-assembled grate

Collects and removes excess water from driveways, patios and any other outdoor areas

Fits with 3-in or 4-in pipe when connected to the Speed-D channel bottom outlet or end outlet

I used this product in my garage. It's easy to install and works great under vehicle loading. I wouldn't put a heavily loaded caster over it without additional protection like a steel plate.

Make sure you pin it down good to prevent it from floating when you pour back
your trench.

Brian
10-03-2020, 05:41 PM
I roll filter presses over it,full syrup barrels, drum cart with full barrels and no problems. works great.

TapTapTap
10-03-2020, 06:12 PM
I roll filter presses over it,full syrup barrels, drum cart with full barrels and no problems. works great.

I was talking about really heavy like if you replaced your evaporator someday.