PDA

View Full Version : Leader raised flue sight glass

jbutton
09-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Hey everyone so i bought a 2x6 leader raised flue patriot pan set and got the sight glass. Im confused on the sightglass. Where is the measurements supposed to be from so i can put the sticker on it.is it supposed to be from the top of the incoming tubes or the flues. If its from the flues it is measuring wrong. If i measure from the incoming tube it measures about right. Thanks in advance

jbutton
09-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Thanks for no advice. Found the answer from facebook. Funny how i get no replies on the page.

DrTimPerkins
09-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Your question was up for less than 24 hrs on a Sunday, during a time of year when not a lot of people are on the site. If they do check, many will do so first thing in the morning. Your post didn't hit the site until 10:18am, so people probably didn't see your post before you sent the second one in. During the run up to the season and during the season you'd likely get a more rapid response.

maple flats
09-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Dr Tim is correct. I don't know what Facebook said, but I have 2 marks, the first is at the elevation of the top of the raised flues, my second is 1/2" above the first. That is where I keep my level, in between the 2 marks. By the way, I marked mine using a black marker, a sticker would likely hide too much of the boiling sap elevation.
If it's a new to you evaporator I suggest you start at 3/4-1" over the flues, as you get used to boiling on the raised flue evaporator, gradually reduce the depth. In reality if it is barely over the flues you will get the fastest boil, but if it is a little below the top of the flues, enough that the boiling sap is not keeping the flue tops wet, you can get damage from too much heat. The closer to the flue height the closer you must keep track of the sap depth.

Pdiamond
09-28-2020, 10:40 PM
I run my SL 2 x 4 raised flu 1 1/4' over the flue, makes me feel a little bit better as to how hard the unit boils. Better to run on the side of caution. I still am getting 40 plus gph.

Father & Son
09-30-2020, 04:35 PM
Thanks for no advice. Found the answer from facebook. Funny how i get no replies on the page.

Ditto with Dr. Tim. This time a year I’m lucky to check on here maybe once every week or two.
Seems to me the best place to direct your question would have been to the manufacturer, they designed it.

jbutton
10-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Well seems like more people pay attention on facebook then on this page. Again even you cant answer my question i asked.

jbutton
10-06-2020, 07:59 PM
N ow how am i supposed to ask the manufacturer on a sunday. They are not open. And even you cant give a answer.

tcross
10-07-2020, 05:56 AM
well, it's wednesday today... have you called the manufacturer to find out, or are you actually looking to be a dink and give people crap on the internet?

BAP
10-07-2020, 06:06 AM
N ow how am i supposed to ask the manufacturer on a sunday. They are not open. And even you cant give a answer.
Isn’t this post made on a Tuesday? If you don’t like the lack of action on this site during the fall then no one is forcing you to be here, you don’t need to be rude and a jerk about it.

johnallin
10-07-2020, 06:27 AM
Hey everyone so i bought a 2x6 leader raised flue patriot pan set and got the sight glass. Im confused on the sightglass. Where is the measurements supposed to be from so i can put the sticker on it.is it supposed to be from the top of the incoming tubes or the flues. If its from the flues it is measuring wrong. If i measure from the incoming tube it measures about right. Thanks in advance

I have a 2x6 with Patriot raised flue with a sight glass.
It's pretty simple...start filling the flue pan, put a mark on the glass when the water hits the top of the flues, keep filling and place a second mark when the water hits the top of the fill tube. You now know when you're exposing the tops of the flues (bad) and when you're higher than you need to be (also bad).

Use a paint pen, as your sticker won't stick for long.
Boat will be out of the water in another few weeks...time to switch over to maple. John

TapTapTap
10-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Boat will be out of the water in another few weeks...time to switch over to maple. John

For me, the boat gets wet this time of year until the launches freeze tight. We go for landlocked salmon on Lake Champlain. I usually consider it better than deer hunting since i almost always take home meat - i guess I'm a better fisherman than hunter.

maple flats
10-07-2020, 10:19 AM
Well seems like more people pay attention on facebook then on this page. Again even you cant answer my question i asked.
For your info, I have never been on facebook concerning any maple issues. I think you are far too impatient and rude too. As others said, this time of year most of us have other things that occupy our time. For one thing, I'd be very suspicious of answers on Facebook, they may be posted by people who have even less of an idea than you do. The 2 best choices are from the manufacturer or on The Maple Trader. In addition, you should be careful using You Tube videos unless they are put up by people who know. UVM Proctor is one good source, as well as some members on the Trader. I have watched You Tube videos, it seems for every one showing a proper method there will be 2 more that have it wrong or at any rate showing methods grandpa used 75 years ago. Methods have changed for the better.
I do, even in the off season check on here every day or 2, sometimes 3. As the season gets closer I check at least once a day and in season, 2 or more times a day.
Have patience, you will be happier!