PDA

View Full Version : high temp caulk

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Just curious if anyone had ever used any high temp caulk on their arch?? I was considering using it or another high temp product to seal around the top rail of the arch and the stainless wall as it smokes a little between it until the evaporator and firebrick get hot and expand. Looks like it is rated to aprox 600 degrees and just curious if others have tried anything like that??

Fred Henderson
12-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I have never used that but I do know that there is some out there that is rated 3000 drg. You find it in stove stores. I have used it to put new gasket in the door of my outdoor wood fired boiler.

Dennis H.
12-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Building me evap I used 2 different types of caulk.

One is a black high temp silicone caulk that is used for making gaskets(automotive). The other is a red silicone caulk that is used for fire blocking in homes and furnaces. It stays flexible and expands when it gets hot. Works better than the black high temp in my opinon. I used the black to hold the gasket material under the evap pan. I wouldn't use the black where it would have direct contact with fire. It will just burn out in no time and you will have to add more later.

The stuff that is called stove cement that comes in tubes I found works ok but it turns hard when dry and it just crumbles out, I used it on my coal stove and I was not happy with it at all. I cleaned it all out and used the red fire block.

I added a pic showing where I put the red fire block caulk on my evap. My evap is also bricked so the fire block is not in direct contact with firre. Hope it helps somewhat.

Forgot to mention the fire block that use is a 3M probuct, if I get back up to the upper garage today I will try and remember to get the product number.

New Hope Mapleman
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I have used the high temp ceramic in a tube! Great stuff but it will seperate a bit from the wall so stuff plenty up there. I think the reason has to do more with the extreme temp changes. Bought mine online.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2007, 09:43 AM
How about this stuff, it is rated to 1,380 degrees F.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LATEX-HI-HEAT-FIRE-BLOCK-CAULK-8803030_W0QQitemZ290192030116QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66 914QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 1638.m118

The Sappy Steamer
12-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I tried the orange high temp silicone when I was using my homemade rig. It holds up pretty good for awhile but eventually separates from the metal. Any place that I put it that was over about 1/4" came off pretty quickly.

802maple
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I have used them all in the arches that I have built and as pionted out they last for a while. That is why I went to my "mig" to seal them up. My experience is that 2 to 3 years is the very max when used extensively.

mountainvan
12-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I used the red high temp to attach the woven web gasket to my rails and between my pans, and it has worked well. Five years and counting. I've even taken the pressure washer to the gasket to clean it and it stayed put.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Van,

What kind of woven gasket are you using underneath and between your pans. I use ceramic blanket and replace it every year and was looking to go to something else that would last for a few years like rope gasket.

Fred Henderson
12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I bought some woven 1/4" x2" from the sponsors of this web site. I think that 1/8" would have been fine. I am sure that they still have.

mountainvan
12-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Brandon, I got the web to arch gasket from maple pro, stuff sold by the maple guys looks to be the same, except for the pressure sensitive tape on one side.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Van,

Are you getting several years out of it and is it durable??

mountainvan
12-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Brandon, Yes it's very durable. It's been on for five years and it's still good.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Any idea what temp it is rate to??

mountainvan
12-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I believe it's 1,200 degrees. I don't have it exposed to direct flame. I don't thilk it would hold up to that.